Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

People here talking sh*t about Messi are just like Dunphy when he talked crap about Ronaldo all those years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Two assists for Messi in the game,not bad for someone who went missing, I'd have him in my team above any other player.

Best player in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Two assists for Messi in the game,not bad for someone who went missing, I'd have him in my team above any other player.

Messi is one of the greatest players to of ever played the game (if not the best). As such, people judge him on a level like no other player and expect more from him. There is nothing remarkable about anything other then Messi’s goal from him in this tournament.

He has not found pele or Maradonna levels of performances. That’s his benchmark , not a couple of assists and a goal!

There are ways of explaining why he may struggle so I’m not saying that he’s a lessor player in my eyes. I just don’t think anybody can make a case that he’s shown a fraction of his talents in the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

eigrod wrote: »
    Best player in the world

Yep thats him on screen now ;)

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yep thats him on screen now ;)

Yeah, Suarez isn’t far off - if Uruguay win it out, he might have a claim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RoboKlopp wrote:
    Looks like he'll forever be in Maradonas shadow when it comes to the national side.

Yeah, you see it's easy to make an argument against him because he has been in a team of world class players at club level. The fact that Spain won two euros and a world cup with something like eight of that Barcelona team means they won on a big stage without him.

He is one of the greatest of all time but his legacy is certainly hurt by international football, both the Argentina performances and the performances of that great Spain team with so many of his club teammates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I see what you mean but Scholes, Giggs,VDS and Vidic were near retirement home. Hargreaves? Rooney did have a good season but I think Ronaldo made him look better.

Tevez was a decent player, I'll give you that.

Vidic was 26 when they won the CL ffs!! One of the best defenders in the world at that stage. Scholes was only 32, Hargreaves had a very good season that year and Giggs was playing very good football.

Wow. What a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

That was absolutely fantastic - what a ball initially from Cavani! Top class

• Advertisement

Some play by Cavani, collect the ball on the half way line, ping a ball and then get on the end and finish like that. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

In off his face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Off his shoulder, wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's probably goal of the tournament. The ball from Cavani out to Suarez and the cross from Suarez back in to Cavani. The ground he made up and the bullet of a header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

He faced it in :pac:

sligeach wrote: »
    That's probably goal of the tournament. The ball from Cavani out to Suarez and the cross from Suarez back in to Cavani. The ground he made up and the bullet of a header.
    Give over. The Nacho goal for Spain against Portugal, or Pavard's effort for France today are streets ahead, in terms of pure technique.

• Advertisement

blueser wrote: »
    Give over. The Nacho goal for Spain against Portugal, or Pavard's effort for France today are streets ahead, in terms of pure technique.

Messi’s is still the best for me so far

Typical Suarez...

Messi’s is still the best for me so far
    Nah; Stonesey's first against Panama for me.
    ;)

Hamilton is convinced Ricardo Pereira is Ricardo Quaresma in disguise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

George Hamilton must have got sick of Ronnie Whelan! First time all tournament he hasn't had him as co-commentator. I much prefer Houghton

• Advertisement

Can someone tell George that Quaresma isn’t playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Worst thing that could have happened for this game is Uruguay scoring first. They'll sit with 11 behind the ball now for the rest of this and to be fair they are very good at it.

And he just called Ricardo "Pepe coming forwad"

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hamilton is convinced Ricardo Pereira is Ricardo Quaresma in disguise.

They’re not even the same colour ffs

The game is on ITV as well lads

Great chance here

There must be a better free taker than Ronaldo in the team ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

What's the deal with hiking the shorts up as far as he can? Such a clown

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    The game is on ITV as well lads

Great chance here

At this point I wanna see if he is ever called Ricardo/Pereira.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    There must be a better free taker than Ronaldo in the team ffs

Maybe, but none that can pull their shorts up around their shoulders like he can in that vital tv moment just before the run up

Maybe, but none that can pull their shorts up around their shoulders like he can in that vital tv moment just before the run up

Don't care what he does with this shorts tbh. It's the poor execution that's annoying

• Advertisement

It’s gonna be tough to break down that defence. Set pieces and crosses are going to be vital.

Here’s a challange , put Messi on Ireland in a World Cup Match in Fifa and see how happy he looks playing with Johnny Walters and Graeme Burke up front...

LOL. Spot on ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Suarez is pure machavellian

Can someone tell George that Quaresma isn’t playing?

Maybe someone could tell him he's not black either

Suarez being Suarez there. Nowhere near his head. The bloke makes it so easy to despise him.

Suarez lets out a huge yelp as if his skull has been cleaved open by a warlord, surely they need an undertaker not a physio?

But wait, he was hit in his back. Not his head. Embarrassing.

Suarez dribbling with the ball now. Lazarus aint got shít on Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

The state of Suarez. Embarrassing.

He’s not the only one mind. Two things that do seem to have crept back into this World Cup are over the top theatrics and crowding and moaning at the ref.

• Advertisement

Fairly comfortable for Uruguay so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Poor half compered the excitement of earlier. Uruguay scoring first hasn’t helped.
    They are very very solid definitely and have two world class players up top.

They won’t win it but it will take a very very good team to knock them out.

I don’t think Portugal have enough about them to turn this around.

Suarez is pure machavellian
    I could think of a word with 8 letters less that would sum him up perfectly. What I'd love to see at FT would be a reporter pressing him on why he held his head when the impact (for what it was) was between his shoulder blades. And not let him off the hook by giving some rambling non-answer.

I could think of a word with 8 letters less that would sum him up perfectly. What I'd love to see at FT would be a reporter pressing him on why he held his head when the impact (for what it was) was between his shoulder blades. And not let him off the hook by giving some rambling non-answer.

He'd probably yelp and fall down as Godin, Gimenez, Cavani then surround the poor reporter for attempting to murder Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

:P
    sonic85 wrote: »
    What's the deal with hiking the shorts up as far as he can? Such a clown

You know why. He's a poser. Look at the muscles in my legs. 95% of his free kicks end in dross. Someone should tell him about the piece of $*** hanging off his chin.

I’d only need 4 letters to sum up Suarez. Has a bit of nut with a C....

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’d only need 4 letters to sum up Suarez. Has a bit of nut with a C....

Hmmmmmm.....cinnamon

Quaresma taken off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Quaresma taken off?

He didn’t start

theballz wrote: »
    He didn’t start

George-Hamilton-1.jpg

Pepeeeeee