Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Pity Ossie Ardiles is not on the panel. He had a brilliant response at the last World Cup when Bill asked him who was the best player never to play in a World Cup.

Without missing a beat he quipped Eamon Dunphy.

I remember it even got a little smile from Gilesy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hope Solo joining the RTE panel might take a gander at that then.

Well everyone has already seen what there is to see of her ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well everyone has already seen what there is to see of her ;)

Just nice to hear what she sounds like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Disappointed with the RTE selection this time. Don't get including Hope Solo at all.

In other news, here's Jose Mourinho giving his predictions on who he thinks will emerge from the group stages. Some surprising choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I won't be able to stop thinking about rotten roast beef

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Hope Solo a particularly obnoxious individual if past actions are anything to go by. Surely Rte could have got someone better, even if they wanted equality on the panel, there are plenty of successful female footballers they could have picked.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hope Solo a particularly obnoxious individual if past actions are anything to go by. Surely Rte could have got someone better, even if they wanted equality on the panel, there are plenty of successful female footballers they could have picked.

Emma Byrne would have been a good choice,hugely experienced ex player and has done media work previously for the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Except the first Sat, which is a 4 match day, France - Australia 11am
    Arg - Iceland 2pm
    Peru - Denmark 5pm
    Croatia - Nigeria 8pm

Wow.
    It's times like this you'd wish you had no wife, no kids and no responsibilities for a month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Are there any good templates online to run a predictor?

Trying to build one from scratch and its passable but there's a few small gripes with it.

Not looking for anything fancy, just scores in the pool, then a pick the winner in the KO rounds.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »

Trying to build one from scratch and its passable but there's a few small gripes with it.

Not looking for anything fancy, just scores in the pool, then a pick the winner in the KO rounds.

There was a very good one knocking about for 2104 ,I see can i find it or similar. I think I may have it saved on PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

yabadabado wrote: »
    There was a very good one knocking about for 2104 ,I see can i find it or similar. I think I may have it saved on PC.

Okay Marty McFly! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

razorblunt wrote: »

http://www.excely.com/football/2018-fifa-world-cup-schedule.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Kinda getting a wee bit excited now.....its only a week away.

Although many people don't seem to be excited, I think this will change once it kicks off.

Just scanning the fixtures and some fascinating ones in the early games. Particularly looking forward to Portugal v Spain and Argentina v Iceland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Is this the 4th or 5th tournament where the hosts play the opening game?

Talking of hosts, how do we think the Russians will do?

I'd say even well juiced up, they will be lucky to get past the 1st knockout game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is this the official England 'second team'? Surely Stones will be starting against Tunisia?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

5th.

It’s the 4th. Started in 2006 with Germany v Costa Rica.

In 2002 France played in the first game as holders and lost 1-0 to Senegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Rashford with a cracker, the second string are playing quite nicely.

Nearly 2-0

Elland road is much liviler than Wembley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Rashford with a cracker, the second string are playing quite nicely.

Nearly 2-0

Elland road is much liviler than Wembley.

Yeh totally, playing at Elland road is helping.

The second string look very lively. I would say the pressure normally on the first team has them playing like they have lead in their boots....

You know for all the big coaches England have had over the years , maybe a quiet , humble like manager is just what they need to temper expectations and galvanise the squad into a man actual team....

He's humble alright but also a poor manager imo.

Costa Rica are poor. When England meet a decent side in the WC, they'll be found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

NIMAN wrote: »
    Talking of hosts, how do we think the Russians will do?

I'd say even well juiced up, they will be lucky to get past the 1st knockout game.
    It's funny to think Russia are the lowest ranked team in the tournament, coming in at 70th in the world. Most likely due to them not having played any competitive games the last 2 years and tbf, rankings don't mean much. Did a sweepstake with friends, 10 of us and we agreed to take 3 teams each. We left out Saudi and Russia due to them being the lowest ranked, which kinda surprised me as there's surely worse then Russia there. But yeah, they're obviously not going to win it and I'd agree with you, they won't get any further than Ro16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

If Russia make it past the last 16 I would cast my doubts regarding match fixing similar to South Korea in the 2002 World Cup with dodgy refs etc. Look at how badly they did at the Euros they are after likes of Panama, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia one of the worst sides in the tournament. Russian football talent wise is at a low point. If they weren't host I doubt they would have even qualified but they have an easy group so there is the chance they might make the last 16.

They might make the last 16 ok, but there's where their journey will end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I'm looking for a Wall Chart that I can print out (and see the writing!), for my desk in work. An A4 size if possible. Anyone point me in the direction of a half decent one?

World Cups where holders kicked off the next World Cup happened between 1974 and Finished with France in 2002

Year Host 1st Game Winners
    1930 Uruguay France V Mexico / USA V Belgium Uruguay
    1934 Italy 8 Games Kicked off at the same time Italy
    1938 France Switzerland V Germany Italy
    1950 Brazil Brazil V Mexico Uruguay
    1954 Switzerland 4 Games Kicked off at the same time West Germany
    1958 Sweden Sweden V Mexico Brazil
    1962 Chile 4 Games Kicked off at the same time Brazil
    1966 England England V Uruguay England
    1970 Mexico Mexico V USSR Brazil
    1974 West Germany Brazil V Yugoslavia West Germany
    1978 Argentina West Germany V Poland Argentina
    1982 Spain Argentina V Belgium Italy
    1986 Mexico Bulgaria V Italy Argentina
    1990 Italy Argentina V Cameroon West Germany
    1994 USA Germany V Boliva Brazil
    1998 France Brazil V Scotland France
    2002 South Korea & Japan France V Senegal Brazil
    2006 Germany Germany V Costa Rica Italy
    2010 South Africa South Africa V Mexico Spain
    2014 Brazil Brazil V Croatia Germany
    2018 Russia Russia V Saudi Arabia Who Knows

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I'm looking for a Wall Chart that I can print out (and see the writing!), for my desk in work. An A4 size if possible. Anyone point me in the direction of a half decent one?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107152146&postcount=115

• Advertisement

Thanks, but link doesn't seem to be working for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Manuel Lanzini ruled out for Argentina.

Suffered "a ruptured anterior knee ligament injury in training" according to the BBC.

Blow for them, understand he was expected to start.

That said, if any country can replace an attacking midfielder or winger, it's Argentina!

I printed that one out yesterday, the writings quite small, but I think it's probably as good as I'll get on an A4 page. Thanks :)

ozzy jr wrote: »
    I printed that one out yesterday, the writings quite small, but I think it's probably as good as I'll get on an A4 page. Thanks :)

Just keep an eye on papers over the next week i am sure they will have their wall charts then maybe this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Manuel Lanzini ruled out for Argentina.

Suffered "a ruptured anterior knee ligament injury in training" according to the BBC.

Blow for them, understand he was expected to start.

That said, if any country can replace an attacking midfielder or winger, it's Argentina!

Argentina wont miss him as much as West Ham will for the next few months. :o

I wonder will they call up Lamela in his place, I cant see them calling up Icardi regardless of who gets injured.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The official theme has been released, by Hans Zimmer. It's what you'd expect from Zimmer (absolutely brilliant), but not what i was expecting for a there (not that i was expecting any sort of theme).

https://streamable.com/qbfx6

How did Zimmer get roped into it?

Theres been some good awful recent WC songs featuring acts like Shakira and Pitbull.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    How did Zimmer get roped into it?

Theres been some good awful recent WC songs featuring acts like Shakira and Pitbull.
    A pile of cash probably helped seal the deal.That song is going to be played all day every day for the next month.

yabadabado wrote: »
    A pile of cash probably helped seal the deal.That song is going to be played all day every day for the next month.

Oh ya, of course theres that but theres always about 4 or 5 "official" songs.

You've the FIFA official song.

The official theme.

Coca Cola have an official song.

I think McDonalds may have one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Stephen15 wrote: »
    If Russia make it past the last 16 I would cast my doubts regarding match fixing similar to South Korea in the 2002 World Cup with dodgy refs etc. Look at how badly they did at the Euros they are after likes of Panama, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia one of the worst sides in the tournament. Russian football talent wise is at a low point. If they weren't host I doubt they would have even qualified but they have an easy group so there is the chance they might make the last 16.
    Got Russia as my 2nd team in work.
    On form they should be out at the group stage, but they may work VAR to their advantage by getting opposition goals disallowed.
    Their second round opposition would be either Spain or an imminently beatable team, but that would rely on them winning the group, and the world and his mother has lumped on Uruguay to top Group A. I can't see how anybody could get Russia past Spain (unless its exactly like 2002, when we should see de Gea sent off during a penalty shoot out)
    I'm gradually getting more excited now, (but in the back of my mind I'm thinking, how the hell will things work in 2022!!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

We'll all predict the group winners and runners up, but you'll be surprised how many you get wrong. There'll always be one surprise team, but international football is broadly level, especially at the end of a season, there's scope for 2 or 3 shock teams. But for what it's worth, I have

Uruguay & Russia
    Spain & Portugal
    France & Denmark
    Croatia & Iceland
    Brazil & Switzerland
    Germany & Mexico
    Belgium & England
    Poland & Senegal

I'd be surprised if I get 8 out of 12 right! At least a couple of heavily fancied teams will go out in round 1. Lots of discussion about Russia, but they're in a really poor group which should save them. Portugal and Spain will have to be wary of Morocco - they could be the big surprise. I don't fancy Argentina, they could be one shock early exit. Brazil will find it hard enough against the Serbs and Swiss, Belgium and England will face the best African team in it, Germany look like they'll have it fairly handy in the group stages, and Poland, Senegal and Columbia could finish in any order in group H.

Going thru the predictions in Excel has me buzzing. Starting to really look forward to this now!

For the record, I ended up with a France -v- Spain final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Any good world cup magazines out? Free 64 page one with the times tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Laois_Man wrote: »
    We'll all predict the group winners and runners up, but you'll be surprised how many you get wrong. There'll always be one surprise team, but international football is broadly level, especially at the end of a season, there's scope for 2 or 3 shock teams. But for what it's worth, I have

Uruguay & Russia
    Spain & Portugal
    France & Denmark
    Croatia & Iceland
    Brazil & Switzerland
    Germany & Mexico
    Belgium & England
    Poland & Senegal

I'd be surprised if I get 8 out of 12 right! At least a couple of heavily fancied teams will go out in round 1. Lots of discussion about Russia, but they're in a really poor group which should save them. Portugal and Spain will have to be wary of Morocco - they could be the big surprise. I don't fancy Argentina, they could be one shock early exit. Brazil will find it hard enough against the Serbs and Swiss, Belgium and England will face the best African team in it, Germany look like they'll have it fairly handy in the group stages, and Poland, Senegal and Columbia could finish in any order in group H.

Going thru the predictions in Excel has me buzzing. Starting to really look forward to this now!

For the record, I ended up with a France -v- Spain final

For winners and runners-up, I have...

Uruguay & Egypt
    Spain & Portugal
    France & Denmark
    Argentina & Nigeria
    Brazil & Switzerland
    Germany & Mexico
    Belgium & England
    Colombia & Poland

But I know that won't be right and if you ask me tomorrow, I'll change half of them!

Group A has a lot of weak teams but I still fancy Russia to bomb out badly unless some referees rush to their aid. A truly awful team with no sense of strategy or good management.
    B could be upset by Iran or Morocco, both well organised defensively. It's scoring goals that could undermine them but I wouldn't be surprised to see Portugal come unstuck in one of those games, even if they still qualify after.
    C is very even after France. Peru or Denmark could easily do it.
    D is very even overall! All four have major issues and I won't be surprised with any outcome. The Messi factor could be huge.
    E isn't too clear cut. I think Costa Rica are a little past where they were at the last tournament but people often underestimate Switzerland in these things. They won't be troubling the winners, but they rarely flunk out. Serbia were no great side in qualifying either, IMO.
    F looks clear ish to me. Germany are excellent and Mexico should better Sweden easily enough. I don't rate Korea.
    G Barring an England disaster, should be straightforward. Expect Tunisia to make it hard for them but still lose though.
    H is very even and very tough to call. You can make a case for anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I think a potential surprise package for me would be Sweden. They are strong defensively and they have some young talent in the squad. They did very well to get past Italy in the playoffs. I don't think they will challenge to the very end but I think they will get into the last 16 and maybe even a quarter final as I don't think are Mexico are all that great they are relying on Chicarito for goals and they may also prove a tough nut to crack for Germany. I think not having an ego like Ibrahimovic may also work to their benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I think a potential surprise package for me would be Sweden. They are strong defensively and they have some young talent in the squad. They did very well to get past Italy in the playoffs. I don't think they will challenge to the very end but I think they will get into the last 16 and maybe even a quarter final as I don't think are Mexico are all that great they are relying on Chicarito for goals and they may also prove a tough nut to crack for Germany. I think not having an ego like Ibrahimovic may also work to their benefit.

I see Mexico bettering Sweden.

Wouldn't be shocked if South Korea beat them either.

they can park the bus really well, but I don't like them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Do Japan have any chance of getting out of their group (H). Got them in the office sweepstakes:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

billyhead wrote: »
    Do Japan have any chance of getting out of their group (H). Got them in the office sweepstakes:(

Could envisage Senegal finishing anywhere from 1 to 4 but can't see either of the other two ending up behind Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Saudi Arabia were millimetres from equalizing to make it 2-2 with Germany. Could have gotten another pen for the Saudi's too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't expect Russia to be as bad as many expect. Yes they come into the competition with poor form but when you see the level of opposition they've played in friendlies, it's not surprising. Since November they've played Argentina, Spain, Brazil, France, Austria (who recently beat Germany) and Turkey. They actually managed a 3-3 win with Spain and a 1-1 draw with Turkey, losing the others.

Egypt are also coming into the tournament with poor form. In their last 11 games, they've won 2, drawn 4 and lost 5. The wins were against Uganda and DR Congo. They scored 8 goals, conceding 11. They're basically a one-man team and that man is coming into the tournament with a fitness battle.

Saudi Arabia are just as bad. In their last 11 games: 3 wins, 2 draws, 6 defeats. 11 goals scored, 18 conceded. Don't appear to have a decent goalscorer from the fixtures I looked up. Can't find anyone scoring more than twice in those games.

I'd be astonished if Uruguay don't win this group comfortably as it looks like one of the poorest on paper. I think Cavani and Suarez will be raring to go against these sides. Second spot looks like a case of who can grind out a result and I expect whatever team gets the place will go out with a whimper in the Ro16. I'll go for Russia to take 2nd due to the home advantage factor.

I fully expect Russia to get out of the group. That will be it for them but they are an ok side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement