Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Immense performance from Laxalt. He looks a decent player.

Not far off mom despite two from cavani for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Ronaldo best player ever? As I said after Portugals first game, Ronaldo would ultimately limp out with a more lethargic performance than Messi. Maradona is the greatest, a level above everyone else. Goal scoring, vision, technical ability, passing, dribbling, leadership.... the complete player who rose to the biggest occasions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

martyos121 wrote: »
    Messi and Ronaldo out of the competition on the same day, at least one of them made an impact today though, didn’t see a whole lot of quality from the “GOAT” in the game just finished. :pac:

Football is a team sport, Ronaldo threw United's first champions league final against Barcelona away by being a selfish swine and he was enabled by Ferguson that night. He's a top player but that isn't always enough, unless you're playing in la Liga where most sides roll over.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Portugal are a poor outfit. Ronaldo’s performance v Spain was all they had and he’s not going to do that every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

CSF wrote: »
    Uruguay are a great defensive unit, but they're helped in a huge way by being allowed away with murder by the referee. No idea how they finished that game without a yellow card, given the amount of cynical fouls in the first half, and the Godin one is a penalty.

Think France will dispose of them with relative ease.

Thought the ref did very well. Didn’t go brandishing cards for normal fouls.

• Advertisement

Enjoyed that.

Cavani was superb. Thought Suarez aside from the play acting was excellent too. Ronaldo had a poor game by his standards. Was hoping him and Messi would stay in the tournament longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Enjoyed that.

Cavani was superb. Thought Suarez aside from the play acting was excellent too. Ronaldo had a poor game by his standards. Was hoping him and Messi would stay in the tournament longer.

Suarez never stops working, closing defenders down and selfless running.

°°°°°

Brilliant stuff from Uruguay population smaller than Ireland and they regularly overachieve. Its also good to have a S American rather than another European team remain in the competition.

Uruguay isn't a country where football is the fourth most important sport. Ireland could have a similar record to a Uruguay or Netherlands in international football if we're didn't have the Gaa and rugby monopolizing all the top athletes in the country.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

For once I have no sympathy for Ronaldo. Mainly due to his ridiculous attempt at growing facial hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Quazzie wrote: »
    Ronaldo going home but not before he gets a yellow for nearly headbutting the ref when shouting at him. Seems about right for him.

A right buffon indeed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

eigrod wrote: »

Agreed. He just needs to get that intermittent migraine issue sorted to make him likable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Cavani, what a f**king player.
    We never mention him in the same breath as Naymar, iIbrahimovic, Messi, Ronaldo, but is he up there? Is he at the level?
    I think he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

eigrod wrote: »

Lads on Rte were just saying the total opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Ronaldo poor by his standards but Portugal created nothing and Uruguay are excellent at defending so I don't know what else could have been done.

Suarez is a disgrace and I'd love the lads in the VAR room to make a call to the ref to book a player when he's at that ****e. Obvious cheating should be called out.

Uruguay are going to be a tough nut for France to crack but hopefully they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

kerplun k wrote: »
    We never mention him in the same breath as Naymar, iIbrahimovic, Messi, Ronaldo, but is he up there? Is he at the level?
    I think he is.

He is a class act. But no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Uruguay are a great defensive unit, but they're helped in a huge way by being allowed away with murder by the referee. No idea how they finished that game without a yellow card, given the amount of cynical fouls in the first half, and the Godin one is a penalty.

Think France will dispose of them with relative ease.

It seems a common theme in their World Cup and indeed in the premier league. Give away fouls to break up attacks. So it constantly across the team and you seem to get away with it.

This World Cup has been great so far. Loads of goals and entertainment. VAR has even shown that it’s worthwhile or at least will be when the kinks are ironed out.
    It’s been great to see so many penos given as well for shirt pulling and holding. All positives.

But there have been some pretty big negatives too. Surrounding the ref and screaming at him over every little thing seems to be acceptable again. Also the play acting, diving and feigning injury has reached epic proportions.

It’s typical FIFA. They get a couple of ongoing historical issues with the game sorted and let others creep, hell stampede back in.

It needs a serious review. I’ve no idea why the refs let players confront them en mass. I’d card the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think he is.
    We never mention him in those conversations, because he is not in that bracket. 2 great goals tonight though. Fair play to him

°°°°°

I think he is.

He played well tonight against a clueless Portuguese defence, had a couple of patchy games in the group stages and probably showed a little lethargy (perhaps a by product of playing in Ligue 1). He put Portugal to the sword tonight and can only beat the team in front of him, will be a miss for them against France who you'd have to fancy to progress.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    Uruguay isn't a country where football is the fourth most important sport. Ireland could have a similar record to a Uruguay or Netherlands in international football if we're didn't have the Gaa and rugby monopolizing all the top athletes in the country.

Football isn't the fourth most important sport in Ireland. Its the most important. Granted we lose some players to other sports but no way are the gaa and rugby monopolizing the top athletes.

He is a class act. But no

You’re Talking Bread, he 100% is. If he played one season in the premier league you’d have a different opinion.

• Advertisement

There’s far, far more football clubs in the country than GAA or rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Bernardo Silva is going to be some player even though he's already class. City got a right bargain last summer.

°°°°°

Football isn't the fourth most important sport in Ireland. Its the most important. Granted we lose some players to other sports but no way are the gaa and rugby monopolizing the top athletes.

To me football is the most important sport but in reality Gaelic football hurling and rugby are sports that are much better organized have higher levels of participation particularly with children. The FAI have utterly failed to keep up with the GAA and IRFU when it comes to developing talent and attracting young people into the sport, if we see Ireland in a major championships again I'd be gobsmacked although with extra places available in tournaments going forward we may crawl in.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

You’re Talking Bread, he 100% is. If he played one season in the premier league you’d have a different opinion.
    I don't think you're going to find much agreement on this one.

Bernardo Silva is going to be some player even though he's already class. City got a right bargain last summer.

Thought his end product was very poor throughout the WC to be honest. He was amazing at Monaco, I don’t think he’s been nearly as good since.

It is all very reactionary to claim Cavani is at the same level as Messi and Ronaldo. I don't get what you mean by the PL comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nah. He’s around the level of Lewondoski but nowhere near Messi and Ronaldo.

We are talking about two of the greatest players to ever play the game and there’s no one else playing the game at the moment who comes into that bracket.

To me football is the most important sport but in reality Gaelic football hurling and rugby are sports that are much better organized have higher levels of participation particularly with children. The FAI have utterly failed to keep up with the GAA and IRFU when it comes to developing talent and attracting young people into the sport, if we see Ireland in a major championships again I'd be gobsmacked although with extra places available in tournaments going forward we may crawl in.

This is nonsense. Far more kids play football every weekend than any other sport. Gaelic football the only one that can get relatively close. The participation level for kids playing football every weekend over rugby would be absolutely huge. The DDSL is a huge operation that is extremely well organised and with changes in how small sided games are organised should see an increase in technical players in the future.

°°°°°

This is nonsense. Far more kids play football every weekend than any other sport. Gaelic football the only one that can get relatively close. The participation level for kids playing football every weekend over rugby would be absolutely huge.

I'd love to know where you're getting this from.
    Football has always been the poor relation in Ireland, maybe in Dublin you can argue that football has high participation levels but GAA is streets ahead particularly in rural areas which make up the majority of the population of the country, and more and more kids are migrating to rugby from soccer.
    Figures on participation appear to be based on recreational preferences (heading to your local Astro league as a casual participant appears to be seen as equal to somebody participating in club or county level gaa from one report).

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is nonsense. Far more kids play football every weekend than any other sport. Gaelic football the only one that can get relatively close. The participation level for kids playing football every weekend over rugby would be absolutely huge. The DDSL is a huge operation that is extremely well organised and with changes in how small sided games are organised should see an increase in technical players in the future.

Hasn't this been said for years?
    Appointing Dutch fellas as 'high performance' directors etc

Wim Kovermans 2008:

http://www.dutch-football.com/football/ireland/fai_wim_koevermans.shtml

Ruud Dokter 2013:

http://www.thecoachdiary.com/fai-appoint-another-dutch-man-as-new-high-performance-director/

The sad truth is, the reason the FAI have lagged behind other sports in the country is because people with a business education / third level education / are few and far between in the soccer world.
    In a lot of cases there was/is a lack of common sense in the FAI off the pitch.

Basically not that bright off the pitch and have wasted money time and again.
    Internal politics etc.
    Bad deals with stadiums (Shamrock Rovers homeless for years, no FAI home stadium, the AVIA will revert to IRFU ownership when the lease runs out.
    Poor marketing (Of LOI games).
    Poor structures (Everywhere).
    Poor planning (All the time).

So they have belatedly (in relation to thier history) copped on to this and imported structural talent from elsewhere.

Also the former Dutch FAI performance director mentioned his fear of talent drain from soccer to GAA. Seven years ago!

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/koevermans-admits-fai-fears-over-talent-drain-to-gaelic-football-26799190.html

I wonder what it is like now with the success of the Dublin GAA team and the failures of a very mediocre Irish soccer team?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

We never mention him in those conversations, because he is not in that bracket. 2 great goals tonight though. Fair play to him

He's easily as good as Ibra was in fairness.

It is all very reactionary to claim Cavani is at the same level as Messi and Ronaldo. I don't get what you mean by the PL comment.

True.
    But if you look at his raw statistics over the last 4 years he’s up there with the best. I’m not talking about Messi and Ronaldo bending regarded as GOAT, I mean should he be at this moment in time, currently still playing the game, as one of the best.

Taking those statistics, if that was in the PL, with the English press the way it is, and our exposure to it, you could bet your bottom dollar he would be mentioned in the same bracket as Ronaldo, Messi, Ibra and Naymar.

I think Uruguay could do a job on France in the quarter final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Definitely a level or two below the big two but he's definitely on par with how Ibrahimovic was.

28 in 32 games this year, 35 in 36 games last year. 26, 23 and 29 goals across three seasons at Napoli back when himself and Lavezzi were an inspired partnership years ago. He's been top class for years when he was always considered a donkey. Ibrahimovic had 38, 30 and 26 goal seasons with PSG and a 28 and a 25 with AC and Inter Milan so there really isn't much between the two. Cavani is a tireless worker too, always gives everything and will be all over the pitch. Hard not to be fond of him.

I'd love to know where you're getting this from.
    Football has always been the poor relation in Ireland, maybe in Dublin you can argue that football has high participation levels but GAA is streets ahead particularly in rural areas which make up the majority of the population of the country, and more and more kids are migrating to rugby from soccer.
    Figures on participation appear to be based on recreational preferences (heading to your local Astro league as a casual participant appears to be seen as equal to somebody participating in club or county level gaa from one report).

There are 160 teams playing a fixture at U8s in the DDSL every week. There are also two other leagues at U8 in Dublin. So just in Dublin your looking at 3,000 8 yr olds playing a game of football every weekend. Can't see any other sport competing with that bar Gaelic football. Going way off topic here though so I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Football is the most popular game in Ireland. You only have to look at the amount of coverage RTE give to the World Cup which Ireland aren't even in or The UCL which no Irish teams have ever been in.

As for GAA and rugby monopolizing the top talent it's very hard to know if that's true or not. Plenty of GAA used to play football particularly one's from Dublin do you if they were brillant at football they would have been scouted and chose to play for professional English clubs over playing amateur GAA. If they were good enough they would choose to play football.

Also there are plenty of big countries where football is the most popular sport or only sport but still do poorly internationally look at Turkey with a population of 80 million but yet they are at a similar standard to Ireland at international football.

As a more geographically close example look at Scotland similar population and football is their most popular sport here but yet their teamis probably worse than ours for a long time now. I don't think Shinty is eating their talent somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Messi offered nothing when it was required the most. Make no mistake: this hurts his legacy.

Doesn't have the manball needed

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Football is the most popular game in Ireland. You only have to look at the amount of coverage RTE give to the World Cup which Ireland aren't even in or The UCL which no Irish teams have ever been in.

That is mainly due to the fact that the World Cup is a worldwide event like the Olympics as for the champions league coverage most Irish fans 'support' English/British teams.
    As for GAA and rugby monopolizing the top talent it's very hard to know if that's true or not. Plenty of GAA used to play football particularly one's from Dublin do you if they were brillant at football they would have been scouted and chose to play for professional English clubs over playing amateur GAA. If they were good enough they would choose to play football.

Yes but that is ignoring those that 'do not make it' in England. and rather then play in the haphazard world of the league of Ireland they return to Gaelic games.

Then they are lost to soccer, just because they did not 'make it' in England does not mean they are no good..

This was said years ago by the former FAI high performance director Wim Koevermans

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/koevermans-admits-fai-fears-over-talent-drain-to-gaelic-football-26799190.html

It must be worse now?

Do you mean like how Zlatan was a youtube footballer until that one season he played in PL at the end of his career? And then he evolved into one of the all times greats?

Ronaldo poor by his standards but Portugal created nothing and Uruguay are excellent at defending so I don't know what else could have been done.

Suarez is a disgrace and I'd love the lads in the VAR room to make a call to the ref to book a player when he's at that ****e. Obvious cheating should be called out.

Uruguay are going to be a tough nut for France to crack but hopefully they do.

Yeah, but if they start calling out the cheats post game there'd be no players to play. you're be loved Ronaldo would have retired 15 years ago

• Advertisement

True.
    But if you look at his raw statistics over the last 4 years he’s up there with the best. I’m not talking about Messi and Ronaldo bending regarded as GOAT, I mean should he be at this moment in time, currently still playing the game, as one of the best.

Taking those statistics, if that was in the PL, with the English press the way it is, and our exposure to it, you could bet your bottom dollar he would be mentioned in the same bracket as Ronaldo, Messi, Ibra and Naymar.

Your point is very muddled though?

Just because he has those stats in La Ligue doesn't mean he would peak so high in the PL anyway, season by season.

If you want to make the point regarding players that should be mentioned in the same bracket as Ronaldo, Neymar and Messi "currently still playing the game", you would have another few dozen players to throw in.........if basing on stats or overall performance. So it is hardly worthy of having conversations that put him in the same bracket. Especially considering here he is playing at the moment.

See Salah, Kane, Coutinho, Suarez, Icardi, Griezzman, Dybala, Aguero, Lewandoski, Immobile,Hazard in the last few years. Stick those in that PSG team and they would have just as high performance stats. Even Lukaku would look like a world beater in La Ligue, Pogba, hell hy not include Jonas in for the craic!

There are plenty of good players out there at the moment whose performances on a disjointed basis makes them look as good as a Messi or a Ronaldo and Cavani is included in the above selection but it is all a bit of a muddled comparison and "bracket".

°°°°°

Stephen15 wrote: »

Also there are plenty of big countries where football is the most popular sport or only sport but still do poorly internationally look at Turkey with a population of 80 million but yet they are at a similar standard to Ireland at international football.

As a more geographically close example look at Scotland similar population and football is their most popular sport here but yet their teamis probably worse than ours for a long time now. I don't think Shinty is eating their talent somehow.

I think the difference is that while football has a lot of "grassroots" participants Gaa and rugby are far better organized and people who participate in those sports participate at a higher level within those sports.
    By the logic you're putting forward Ireland should have a massively popular football league but most people have never attended a league of Ireland game nor intend to.
    Scotland has a football league that is so far ahead of the league of Ireland that comparing the two is not even reasonable, Celtic and rangers are huge clubs with massive international fanbases and regularly participated in top European competitions. Also shinty is not on a par with hurling or Gaelic football in terms of participation in Scotland.
    While a lot of Irish people play the game, the game is not organized anywhere near as well as Gaa and rugby and let's not forget the numbers of people who play those sports and also pop down the Astro once a week for a kick about as well and also play for clubs.

Ultimately you can see how the sports compare in the success of each at the top level and football in Ireland is lagging so far behind its sickening.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Yeah, but if they start calling out the cheats post game there'd be no players to play. you're be loved Ronaldo would have retired 15 years ago

Nah, it would only happen a couple of times and then players would stop. The reason Suarez goes on the way he does is because he can only gain an advantage from it without fear of any consequences. If it doesn't work there's no loss.

He's an absolute joke. I'd say he's the worst I've ever seen for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I think the difference is that while football has a lot of "grassroots" participants Gaa and rugby are far better organized and people who participate in those sports participate at a higher level within those sports.
    By the logic you're putting forward Ireland should have a massively popular football league but most people have never attended a league of Ireland game nor intend to.
    Scotland has a football league that is so far ahead of the league of Ireland that comparing the two is not even reasonable, Celtic and rangers are huge clubs with massive international fanbases and regularly participated in top European competitions. Also shinty is not on a par with hurling or Gaelic football in terms of participation in Scotland.
    While a lot of Irish people play the game, the game is not organized anywhere near as well as Gaa and rugby and let's not forget the numbers of people who play those sports and also pop down the Astro once a week for a kick about as well and also play for clubs.

Ultimately you can see how the sports compare in the success of each at the top level and football in Ireland is lagging so far behind its sickening.

Whatever about rugby don't see how GAA is very well organised. I played it as a kid but never thought it was particularly well organised. There's a few big clubs in Dublin that are very well organised such as Cuala, Ballyboden and Vicents but the vast majority are small local affairs same as football clubs which you could also make a case for the likes of Joey's, Home Farm and St.Kevins.

The best Scottish players play in England also. The SPL is just Celtic really and too some extent Rangers the teams at the lower end of the table wouldn't be a whole lot better than LOI. Bar Celtic LOI teams have performed better in Europe in recent seasons no Scottish teams has got to the UEL group stages since 2012 bar Celtic or Rangers. 2 LOI teams have Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers.

Rugby is a bad example too as so few nations actually play the game on a World stage. The top nation is New Zealand which only has the same population as Ireland they put all their emphasis into rugby so by that logic if Ireland put they amount resources into rugby we would be better than New Zealand. Also the English rugby team has done than their football despite it being less popular in the last couple of years. They won a RWC in 2003 but they when to go back to 1966 for their last football win.

Rugby is this part of the world is predominantly by private schools and football is predominantly played by the working class in almost every country. If the posh boys played football in England would they do better than they are doing now at football.

For a small country Ireland hasn't done too badly at football on the international stage imo while we may not be as good as Croatia or Uruguay we have done better in recent than some bigger country and ones our own size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Whatever happened to yer man Fabio coentrao?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Asked not be selected for the world cup because he was too tired..

World Cup knockout stats........

Lionel Messi - 0 goal in 756 minutes (8 games)

Cristiano Ronaldo - 0 goal in 514 minutes (6 games)

Between them...............1260 minutes.........14 games,,,,,,,,,,,,,4 world cups

Emile Heskey....................1 goal in 123 minutes

main-qimg-cf424bb78c8229ade6178a20fd6100b4

Nixonbot wrote: »
    He's easily as good as Ibra was in fairness.

No, love cavani. Love him, always have but no he has never reached the level of Ibra. Just a step below that. Best player Uruguay have ever had though maybe...

Only seeing highlights again now, Bernardo Silva missed a really good chance in the second half. Uruguay were spot on, just made sure Ronaldo couldn't have much of a say in proceedings and the rest of that team is very limited.

Can't see them going much further though, particularly if El Matador is crocked.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

qwabercd wrote: »
    Asked not be selected for the world cup because he was too tired..

Assuming there's a joke here I'm missing?

he asked not to be chosen....................for the world cup.............and then came out and said "I will never turn my back on my country,"..........after turning his back on his country

• Advertisement
Advertisement