Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Maradona did it. The true sign of greatness surely....rising to the greatest occasion when the world watches? What we got tonight, was a player in Ronaldo, who wholly relies on others to create, who can't influence the game in open play to any great extent; and Maradona light (Messi), who's head drops far to often at international level. Ronaldo is a great goal scorer, Messi is a true great, but neither have met the level set by the greatest, Maradona

Didn't Maradona himself only recently say that when he had a poor game for Argentina he had players like Valdano, Burrachaga and Brown to bail him out - meanwhile Messi has nobody? Argentina in 1986 relied a lot on Maradona, no doubt, but weren't even nearly as poor as their current side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Didn't Maradona himself only recently say that when he had a poor game for Argentina he had players like Valdano, Burrachaga and Brown to bail him out - meanwhile Messi has nobody? Argentina in 1986 relied a lot on Maradona, no doubt, but weren't even nearly as poor as their current side.
    Messi has Aguero, Di Maria, Higuain who've each been transferred for 10s of millions of euro. Hardly nobodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Argentina have better players now than they had in 86 imo and by a long way.
    Just look at the names in the current squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Thought the World Cup came alive yesterday. Two brilliant games, esp Portugal v Uruguay. I could watch the opening goal for every on a loop!
    Seriously? The one that went in off Cavani's face/neck/shoulder? It was an okay goal, but I wouldn't put it in the top rank of goals scored in the tournament so far.

adox wrote: »
    Argentina have better players now than they had in 86 imo and by a long way.
    Just look at the names in the current squad.
    The likes of Higuain and Aguero on the bench, and Icardi back home. Baffling management.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Messi has Aguero, Di Maria, Higuain who've each been transferred for 10s of millions of euro. Hardly nobodies.

Di Maria spent most of the season on the bench, Higuain looked out of shape again he was about as athletic as a fence post against Nigeria. Aguero scored twice but in general isn't lethal for Argentina.
    Their back 5 happen to be incredibly bad & the midfield was marginally better at the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

blueser wrote: »
    Seriously? The one that went in off Cavani's face/neck/shoulder? It was an okay goal, but I wouldn't put it in the top rank of goals scored in the tournament so far.

The goal by the French right back was the one that got me off my seat. An absolute thing of beauty. Up there as a contender for goal of the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

It as a brilliantly worked goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

jesus its ligue uhhhhhhhhn not la ligue :D:D

Winning La Ligue with PSG as opposed to winning the league with Spurs in England is completely different.

Not to mention Kane is only 24 and playing in a very good but hardly exceptional squad.

Kane would be a monster if playing in that PSG team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What’s the word on James for the England game?

adox wrote: »
    The goal by the French right back was the one that got me off my seat. An absolute thing of beauty. Up there as a contender for goal of the tournament.
    Pavard yesterday. Belting goal. Also, Nacho for Spain against Portugal. Cavani is a proven goalscorer; those two lads are full backs!

Obviously he was being generous, and Valdano was a fine player. But Burrachaga and Brown? Think both played briefly in France once they left Argentina, and not PSG or Marseille level but mid table sides. Workmanlike is being kind.

Seriously, not even on the same football planet as the players that Messi had around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The likes of Higuain and Aguero on the bench, and Icardi back home. Baffling management.

Aguero is carrying an injury into it...if he was fully fit he would have started every game.

Higuain looks like he's been partying since Juve got knocked out of the CL. He looks fat, he's slow and his first touch was awful.

I can't understand why Dybala didn't get more game time. He's young and surely could have influenced a game somewhere along the line? Maybe he's not part of the clique in the team?

Icardi was left out of the squad for personal reasons that involve shagging an ex-team favourite's wife. His inclusion would have had a lot of in-fighting in the squad.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Aguero is carrying an injury into it...if he was fully fit he would have started every game.

Higuain looks like he's been partying since Juve got knocked out of the CL. He looks fat, he's slow and his first touch was awful.

I can't understand why Dybala didn't get more game time. He's young and surely could have influenced a game somewhere along the line? Maybe he's not part of the clique in the team?

Icardi was left out of the squad for personal reasons that involve shagging an ex-team favourite's wife. His inclusion would have had a lot of in-fighting in the squad.
    I'd heard about Icardi being a bit of a tw@, to be fair. Kun had said that he was fit after missing the last bit of the season with us. Higuain is a proven scorer at the highest level, and a step up on what they had in the staring XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

NIMAN wrote: »

Higuain has been fat for about 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Maradona did it. The true sign of greatness surely....rising to the greatest occasion when the world watches? What we got tonight, was a player in Ronaldo, who wholly relies on others to create, who can't influence the game in open play to any great extent; and Maradona light (Messi), who's head drops far to often at international level. Ronaldo is a great goal scorer, Messi is a true great, but neither have met the level set by the greatest, Maradona

And with Napoli as well they were an average team at best when Maradona went there in his first season 86/87.

I mean look at this for a squad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986%E2%80%9387_S.S.C._Napoli_season

Can you honestly say you remember/know of any of the others besides Maradona?

He won them the league on his own.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

All forwards though and Mascharano has gotten too old, and Benega is in and out of the team.
    Di Maria is notoriously inconsistent

Absolutely. But I think Maradona was having a dig at those players, the better players, for not supporting Messi better. Argentina 2016 have better players than 1986 but not nearly a better team.

• Advertisement

Yeah his second goal was better I thought.

If you don't know who Ciro Ferrara is I assume you only started watching football in 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Apparently Aguero was benched because he was leading calls for the manager to be fired.

Obviously he was being generous, and Valdano was a fine player. But Burrachaga and Brown? Think both played briefly in France once they left Argentina, and not PSG or Marseille level but mid table sides. Workmanlike is being kind.

Seriously, not even on the same football planet as the players that Messi had around him.

I think his point was that he had a better team around him, if not better players. It's hardly Messi's fault if the other star names in his side do little to help.

Blazer wrote: »
    Apparently Aguero was benched because he was leading calls for the manager to be fired.
    He'll probably get his wish. Can't see the Agassi lookalike surviving a poor tournament and a player revolt.

And with Napoli as well they were an average team at best when Maradona went there in his first season 86/87.

I mean look at this for a squad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986%E2%80%9387_S.S.C._Napoli_season

He won them the league on his own.

If you don't know a player like Ciro Ferrara,you shouldn't really be criticisng anyone for their knowledge of football!! Carnevale is well known also

But, yes, a very average squad! I would love to see a documentary on that season if there is one out there?

• Advertisement

That's a poor goal to concede. Again, the defender was more concerned with grappling his opponent rather than the actual ball.

I don't know if that was an og or not but the idea of defending a set piece by turning your back to the cross ain't a smart one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

He'll probably get his wish. Can't see the Agassi lookalike surviving a poor tournament and a player revolt.

AFA probably can't afford to fire him though. Estimates are it will cost 20m to fire him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Dumb.

Good decision, in my opinion. Pique knew what he was doing there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Spain almost too comfortable and got caught. They still should win if they step it up any bit but they wouldn't want to be too casual about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Could that been a straight red for Pique? It was deliberate no doubt but could it have been classed as blocking a clear goal scoring chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Surely we'll see Iniesta for the last half hour.
    Spain need him badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do we think Costa would be a starting CF for Brazil had he played for his country of birth?

His style doesn't suit how Spain play, he must get fed up at times waiting for through balls that never come.

Would the Brazilian style suit him any better?

Spain not pulling up too many trees out there today. Russia are keeping them very quiet.

*cue a Spanish goal*

Spain are not creating anything, seems to nearly be a fear to put the ball in the box in case you lose position.
    This is awful to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Spain over and back for a couple of minutes, lose the ball. Rinse and repeat until penalty shootout.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

eagle eye wrote: »
    Spain are not creating anything, seems to nearly be a fear to put the ball in the box in case you lose position.
    This is awful to watch.

A Carvajal just floated a lovely ball to Akinfeev.

FFS, that substitution annoys me. Costa wasn't the problrm, Koke, Isco., Alba, Asensio and Busquets have been the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

eagle eye wrote: »
    FFS, that substitution annoys me. Costa wasn't the problrm, Koke, Isco., Alba, Asensio and Busquets have been the issue.

Aspas has made a couple of runs towards the ball and behind the defence since he came on.

I don't know was Costa doing that but nobody else was moving into the space Aspas created.

Maybe the heat is dulling their thinking but you'd think Spaniards would be used to playing on conditions like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This half of the draw was open already but if Spain go out there could be anyone reaching the final.:eek: Losing to Belgium would certainly look the right move by England.

Match Summary.

EnormousUnfitChuckwalla-max-1mb.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

This half of the draw was open already but if Spain go out there could be anyone reaching the final.:eek: Losing to Belgium would certainly look the right move by England.

It’s all setting up nicely for the ultimate grudge match in the semis, England vs. Russia. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Is it just me or does the RTE live player keep cutting out ?

To say Spain aren't what they were is an understatement. I think they hoped to get through the game without Iniesta but couldn't even manage to do that.

Is it just me or does the RTE live player keep cutting out ?

Probably bored hopeless the poor thing.

This is pretty grim fayre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Christ tis boring stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Kick the ball. Hit the wall. Retrieve the ball.
    Repeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Russians won't care if they get through

Advertisement