Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Quazzie wrote: »
    That simply HAS to be a red card.

Wasn't there a tweak to the rule that if you make a serious attempt to get a ball it's not a red?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

That keeper for Ireland u17s that got sent off in peno shoot out at euros, must be real sickened watching games today....Schmicheal was off line saving that peno n Russian keeper earlier today was same....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Corholio wrote: »
    Isn't the rule if it's last man and a penalty is given it's only a yellow, so as to not double punish them?

I think if it's a genuine attempt at a tackle it's a yellow, if it's blatant hack or foul it's red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wasn't there a tweak to the rule that if you make a serious attempt to get a ball it's not a red?

That's news to me, but it appears you're right. Fair rule in most circumstances, except in this it was a guaranteed winner and now they might be out :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Lol it was a blatant foul to deny a clear goal scoring opportunity

Quazzie wrote: »
    That's news to me, but it appears you're right. Fair rule in most circumstances, except in this it was a guaranteed winner and now they might be out :eek:

Red wouldn't have been much use to Croatia at that stage. Bit like the Suarez-Ghana scenario in 2010...

• Kaspar would want to be careful
    Be mad if he got sent off during the shoot out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Most of these penalties, even some of the ones scored have been well below par

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

WORST

SHOOTOUT

EVER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Kasper must of pissed on Brian Kerr's cornflakes. Both keepers coming off the line but he just kept whining about Kasper.

Must of had a few shillings on Croatia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Had to laugh at Schmeichel complaining about the Croat's run up when he was way off his line for every spot kick.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    I think if it's a genuine attempt at a tackle it's a yellow, if it's blatant hack or foul it's red
    There seems to be a few on here who are ignorant of the ruling.

Seems like the goalie encroachment rule is like overcarrying in GAA. The rule says 4 steps but you have to take at least 8 before you're penalised...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

No Germany, no Argentina , no Spain.... No South American team has ever won in Europe...... It’s happening....

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Drumpot wrote: »
    No Germany, no Argentina , no Spain.... No South American team has ever won in Europe...... It’s happening....

giphy.gif

Brazil won in Sweden in 1958

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Drumpot wrote: »

giphy.gif

Eh, look at who won in Sweden 1958...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭madalig12

Corholio wrote: »
    Isn't the rule if it's last man and a penalty is given it's only a yellow, so as to not double punish them?

No, it has to be a genuine atrempt to win the ball. A blatent trip or push or pull is a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Plus, is Russia even in Europe? Its 77% in Asia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Greybottle wrote: »
    Brazil won in Sweden in 1958

Good spot....

So it’s not happening.....

FixedRelievedHookersealion.gif

Akrasia wrote: »
    Plus, is Russia even in Europe? Its 77% in Asia
    In the football world anyway, it's in Europe. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Martin o Neill and Slaven Bilic almost came to blows on Itv.
    Two very intense men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Two very intense men.

O'Neill talking about the Ireland U17 thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

blueser wrote: »
    In the football world anyway, it's in Europe. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying

And all the host cities are in Europe bar one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Well we assumed all of Russia were doping in other sports - and they were. How would soccer players avoid a state program in a country like Russia run by a totalitarian leader ?

I guess if you don't want to be part of a state doping program then it's relatively easy to say No if you are a footballer on €2M a year, as opposed to being say a javelin thrower or a rhythmic gymnast surviving on state grants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Two very intense men.

Bilic hitting him would be more interesting than anything O'Neill has to say anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

If Bilic clipped him I wouldn't be too upset....... Sorry :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bilic always comes across as a bit of a clown to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

One of England, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, Croatia, Denmark or Colombia is going to be in the WC final. Mad.

Am I right in saying that only one of them has been in a final before?

Actually scratch that Sweden were beaten at home by Brazil in '58.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »

Sweden and England have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

2, England in 66, Sweden in 58

One of England, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, Croatia, Denmark or Colombia is going to be in the WC final. Mad.

Make Denmark the 9th team in the QF

At this stage I still fancy Brazil. I feel they haven't hit top form yet but are growing into the tournament. Neymar needs to hit form, understandable that he is still a bit rusty.
    For me the best player in the tournament to this point has been Coutinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Make Denmark the 9th team in the QF

Whoops :pac:

At this stage I still fancy Brazil. I feel they haven't hit top form yet but are growing into the tournament. Neymar needs to hit form, understandable that he is still a bit rusty.

Brazil, France or Belgium for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

He really hasnt, best Brazilian wouldnt be inaccurate. Ronaldo has been the best attacker in the world cup and Godin the best player both better than Coutinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Turtwig wrote: »
    O'Neill talking about the Ireland U17 thing?

No .
    It started when Bilic was saying that Croatia resting players for the last group match had made the performance tonight patchy but O'Neill was arguing the opposite ,that the players should have been fresher tongith after the break.
    Then later ITV showed Bilics reactions to the major incidents in the match and he was getting a bit agitated that ITV had been taping him.
    Then this happened,Bilic ,having a cut at O'Neill and Ireland .

No .
    It started when Bilic was saying that Croatia resting players for the last group match had made the performance tonight patchy but O'Neill was arguing the opposite ,that the players should have been fresher tongith after the break.
    Then later ITV showed Bilics reactions to the major incidents in the match and he was getting a bit agitated that ITV had been taping him.
    Then this happened,Bilic ,having a cut at O'Neill and Ireland .

We actually have a bigger population. And we used to be able to match them,we deservedly beat them in the Euro 2000 qualifiers after their 1998 World Cup run. Sadly we are so very obviously light years behind them now that it was silly of MON to have any dig at all.

Tough game for Brazil tommorrow against Mexico. Remembering Ochoa's heroics from their game in 2014 to keep the game at 0-0. Looking forward to what should be a good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The description of them almost coming to blows had me more excited than was warranted. Not exactly an apt description of events tbf

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Just vitamin injections sure, nothing to see here *shifts eyes left and right*

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I know were not done yet and maybe it's just because it's so fresh but this for me as been one of the most unpredictable WCs I have watched.

That second side of the draw, I don't think anyone (or very few at least) would have picked any of them to make it to the final.

And again, no team looks unstoppable or clear favourites, all have weaknesses. The Colombia and England game will be so good now I think. Both will be absolutely gunning for it as they know whoever wins that realistically should be the favourite to progress to the final.

Can see a hectic match. Now let's wait for Brazil to get knocked out and it to get ever weirder :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Love that dig by Bilic on MON. He done right. MON was trying to be a smart @rse saying you can't play this 'small nation' thing any more, yet we are bigger than both Croatia and Uruguay, yet we are regressing in our footballing ability and they push on.

When you leader is a dinosaur of football, what do you expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

NIMAN wrote: »
    Love that dig by Bilic on MON. He done right. MON was trying to be a smart @rse saying you can't play this 'small nation' thing any more, yet we are bigger than both Croatia and Uruguay, yet we are regressing in our footballing ability and they push on.

When you leader is a dinosaur of football, what do you expect?

Ah and I thought we were maybe growing up after yesterday. Oh well.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah and I thought we were maybe growing up after yesterday. Oh well.

Am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

NIMAN wrote: »
    Am I wrong?

Give me a dinosaur who tries scoring goals than a modern moron wanting 1000+ passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Give me a dinosaur who tries scoring goals than a modern moron wanting 1000+ passes.

What about a dinosaur who doesn't try to score goals or pass :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Didn't realise we were in the WC. How are we getting on?

• Advertisement

Who says we must play like that?

Believe me, our players are not technically good enough to keep possession for more than 5 passes, let alone 50 or 60 like Spain.

Why not try to play like Uruguay or Croatia? They don't overly pass for no reason.

Advertisement