Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Decent article by Shearer here.

World Cup: 'Picking England's route to the semis - how can we be so arrogant?'

Before the World Cup started, I saw the quarter-finals as a realistic aim, and a decent performance by a young team too, and us being in what some people perceive to be the easier half of the draw does not make a difference to either.

I also don't think we can start picking and plotting our route to the final and say we only have to beat Sweden or Switzerland in the quarter-finals and we are in the last four.

With our record at major tournaments, how on earth can we be so arrogant to look ahead like that, or think we will roll anyone over?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44662690

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

NIMAN wrote: »
    Who says we must play like that?

Believe me, our players are not technically good enough to keep possession for more than 5 passes, let alone 50 or 60 like Spain.

Why not try to play like Uruguay or Croatia? They don't overly pass for no reason.

Well where they have Kovacic and Badelj not even starting in CM we have Arter, Hendrick, Meyler as starters......so yeah probably a better chance of us replicating Spain than Croatia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Adamocovic wrote: »

Think he summed up what most England fans are thinking very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

It's a good one isn't it. No knock out wins in 12 years and they're charting a route to the final...
    England have won two knockout games at World Cups since 1990 - against Denmark in 2002 and Ecuador in 2006 - so, before we get carried away, let's deal with Colombia first.

The teams on that side of the draw - Russia, Croatia, England, Colombia, Sweden and Switzerland - have won 20 knock out games between them in the World Cup ever. 14 of those are England or Sweden...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You can spout all the facts you want...........but I'm still worried.

• Advertisement

• So Russia eh? Where has this sudden form come from...

So Russia eh? Where has this sudden form come from...

What form?

They were poor v Spain and just defended against a team who didn't create anything. And then won the lottery of a penalty shoot out.

The game before they were easily beaten by Uruguay.

• NIMAN wrote: »
    What form?

They were poor v Spain and just defended against a team who didn't create anything. And then won the lottery of a penalty shoot out.

My point in a way, and yet here they are in the quarter finals of the world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

You can't underestimate home advantage. South Africa the only hosts that didn't do much in recent history. I backed Russia yesterday, unfortunately it was in 90 mins. Spain are muck . Don't know what to do when they get within 40 yards of goal so pass it back to there own half. I'm so glad there gone. More horrible to watch than "anti football".

That's the nature of knockout football.
    Better teams are gone, they are still here.

It happens. Its not definitely due to doping though.

To say they beat Spain cos they are doping is nonsense if you watched the game the other day.

• Advertisement

Yes, home advantage a big thing, it carries the players a lot.

Most host nations do relatively well, even if not much is expected of them.

NIMAN wrote: »
    What form?

I wouldn't agree with them not having any form.

In the World Cup after 4 games they are now at 3W 1L. Scoring 9 goals during that period too.

During the Euro's they didn't win a game. Best they got was the draw against England, then lost to both Slovakia and Wales. Between the Euros finishing and the WC starting their only wins in 20 games came against Ghana, Romania, Hungary, New Zealand, and Korea.

So coming into the tournament in their last 20 matches they had a record of 5W 6D 9L.

They aren't a beautiful footballing side to watch, but they are definitely in form in my eyes, and have the backing of the home support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

De Gea had a mare, 11 shots faced in the world cup and 10 where goal,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

De Gea had a mare, 11 shots faced in the world cup and 10 where goal,

De Gea made the same amount of saves as Pique did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

2018: QF (in progress)
    2014: SF
    2010: Group
    2006: SF
    2002: SF / 2nd round
    1998: Winners
    1994: 2nd round
    1990: SF
    1986: QF
    1982: 2nd round
    1978: Winners
    1974: Winners
    1970: QF
    1966: Winners
    1962: SF
    1958: Runners Up

It would have been a surprise if Russia hadn't done at least this well tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    2018: QF (in progress)
    2014: SF
    2010: Group
    2006: SF
    2002: SF / 2nd round
    1998: Winners
    1994: 2nd round
    1990: SF
    1986: QF
    1982: 2nd round
    1978: Winners
    1974: Winners
    1970: QF
    1966: Winners
    1962: SF
    1958: Runners Up

No, it wouldn't. It was a surprise they got out of the group even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Not sure how relevant that is when 40% of those hosts were the Western European football superpowers, and other hosts included Brazil and Argentina.
    Like did they get that far because they were hosting or because they are the sort of teams who tend to make deep progress regardless of venue?
    Korea & Sweden perhaps the only true over-achiever host (England also maybe).

2018: QF (in progress) Russia
    2014: SF Brazil
    2010: Group South Africa
    2006: SF Germany
    2002: SF / 2nd round South Korea/ Japan
    1998: Winners France
    1994: 2nd round USA
    1990: SF Italy
    1986: QF Mexico
    1982: 2nd round Spain
    1978: Winners Argentina
    1974: Winners Germany
    1970: QF Mexico
    1966: Winners England
    1962: SF Chile
    1958: Runners Up Sweden

I'm not as convinced as you. Getting out of the group I feel would have been considered a great success and the first time it had happened in their history (not counting years as Soviet Union).

Majority seemed to have had Egypt getting out ahead of them (going by predictors I've seen) but for them to get to the quarter finals beating Spain is incredible and if you had of made that prediction before the WC I think people would have laughed it off.

I agree home advantage can lift a teams expectations but just because it happened with Korea for example does not mean it was a given for a poor Russian side who had a terrible run in to the tournament, were written off by a lot of their own media and fans, and expected to do poorly.

A lot of previous hosts would have been expected to do well anyway. Yes home advantage is a big plus for morale but I wouldn't have thought the expectation pre-tournament was for Russia to at least get to the QF, and now potentially the Semi-Final.

Fair play to you if it hasn't come as a surprise but there is reasons why it has for a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Russia beat two poor teams in the group, scoring plenty of goals in doing so, and lost to a traditionally competitive team in a dead-rubber third. Beat Spain on penalties then, a team many had tipped to win the thing.

More impressive than England's campaign so far (given expectations and starting base), and look at the hype surrounding them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No, it wouldn't. It was a surprise they got out of the group even.

Well that's nonsense as per bookmakers and exchange odds. They were expected to finish second and did.
    Not sure how relevant that is when 40% of those hosts were the Western European football superpowers, and other hosts included Brazil and Argentina.
    Like did they get that far because they were hosting or because they are the sort of teams who tend to make deep progress regardless of venue?
    Korea & Sweden perhaps the only true over-achiever host (England also maybe).

Chile? Mexico Quarter Finalists twice (their best World Cup performances).
    I'm not as convinced as you. Getting out of the group I feel would have been considered a great success and the first time it had happened in their history (not counting years as Soviet Union).

Majority seemed to have had Egypt getting out ahead of them (going by predictors I've seen) but for them to get to the quarter finals beating Spain is incredible and if you had of made that prediction before the WC I think people would have laughed it off.

I agree home advantage can lift a teams expectations but just because it happened with Korea for example does not mean it was a given for a poor Russian side who had a terrible run in to the tournament, were written off by a lot of their own media and fans, and expected to do poorly.

A lot of previous hosts would have been expected to do well anyway. Yes home advantage is a big plus for morale but I wouldn't have thought the expectation pre-tournament was for Russia to at least get to the QF, and now potentially the Semi-Final.

Fair play to you if it hasn't come as a surprise but there is reasons why it has for a lot of people.

Again, Egypt were a fancy of some observers but the markets still had Russia significantly priced ahead of them in terms of group progression and the overall tournament win market.

They were essentially given no chance against Spain / Portugal in the second round but I think that drastically underestimates the effect of an 80k crowd in a nation with a strong football heritage. And it underestimates everything around Russian sport under Putin and their general successes in same (fair or not).

To expect less of them essentially means lumping them with Japan / USA / South Africa and I personally think more highly of them as perennial tournament qualifiers from the UEFA region.

• Advertisement

They were essentially given no chance against Spain / Portugal in the second round but I think that drastically underestimates the effect of an 80k crowd in a nation with a strong football heritage. And it underestimates everything around Russian sport under Putin and their general successes in same (fair or not).

To expect less of them essentially means lumping them with Japan / USA / South Africa and I personally think more highly of them as perennial tournament qualifiers from the UEFA region.

I think the second paragraph is the big difference like you say. After their horrid form since qualifying for the Euro's I had little expectations for them, even with the home support, felt they would be happy just getting out of the group.

So I was lumping them into the same category as the likes of South Africa and Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Just saw a stat today that De Gea saved the least amount of shots at a world cup for a goalkeeper since 1966.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

We actually have a bigger population. And we used to be able to match them,we deservedly beat them in the Euro 2000 qualifiers after their 1998 World Cup run. Sadly we are so very obviously light years behind them now that it was silly of MON to have any dig at all.
    Amazing how much of a difference actually moving with the times can make. To call our efforts to do so in football for so long compared to other countries (or even compared to ourselves in other sports) 'pitiful' would be one of the understatements to end all understatements.

Instead we've now got the talent to work with where we can only hope to emulate Iceland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wasn't expecting Hope Solo on RTE. That one is out of left field.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Wasn't expecting Hope Solo on RTE. That one is out of left field.

I'm not a huge fan of her being on the panel. Now that is based on her being arrogant and her history of aggressive behaviour, so not exactly down to her ability.

Has she been a good analyst? They'd want to keep Dunphy away from her, he'd surely test the short fuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I'm not a huge fan of her being on the panel. Now that is based on her being arrogant and her history of aggressive behaviour, so not exactly down to her ability.

Has she been a good analyst? They'd want to keep Dunphy away from her, he'd surely test the short fuse.

Who is she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Who is she?

Former goalie for the United States women's national soccer team

I could link to some pictures that would provide a more intimate introduction but I'd probably get banned...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Adamocovic wrote:
    Now that is based on her being arrogant and her history of aggressive behaviour, so not exactly down to her ability.

Why can't she be on a panel with Martin and/or Roy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Mexico well on top here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Brazil just do not function with Jesus in the team why on earth do they keep starting him ,

Who is she?

A lowlife who likes to go around verbally and physically abusing members of her family. But she's pretty and white and fa os, and it's America so they made sure to ignore that one as much as was possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

ricero wrote: »
    Just saw a stat today that De Gea saved the least amount of shots at a world cup for a goalkeeper since 1966.

I saw on Facebook he conceded 6 goals from 7 odd shot, world class my bum!

Who is she?

Former goalkeeper for US women's side.

Known for being quite arrogant and out there with her comments, has shown to be ungracious in defeat, hot-headed and has gotten herself into spots of bother quite a bit.

This year she had domestic violence charges against her from years ago dropped, but the reasoning wasn't the most encouraging:
    ...wrote in court documents the circumstances of the case were "unlikely to recur", and prosecution witnesses did not want to testify.

Her and her husband, former NFL player Jerramy Stevens, seem to both have some anger issues. Police have been called to their properties regarding violence between the pair before but both have defending each-other citing they are happy, and denying any altercations.

May be a good analyst but I find it hard for me to judge her fairly as I am not a fan of her as a person. Brilliant player and knowledgeable in the sport but can't see myself listening to her without being bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Mexico well on top here

If there is any justice Mexico will send Brazil home, sick of watching naymar and willian throwing themselves to the ground,

Comon you mexies !

Billy86 wrote: »
    A lowlife who likes to go around verbally and physically abusing members of her family. But she's pretty and white and fa os, and it's America so they made sure to ignore that one as much as was possible.

Think she was accused of assaulting her 7 foot nephew and she was acquitted. It all sounded strange.

• Advertisement

If Brazil lose today it will be mad. Mexico are a good team but how many upsets can we have at this WC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If Brazil lose today it will be mad. Mexico are a good team but how many upsets can we have at this WC?

The standard of international football is pretty low so upsets are to be expected.
    I cant believe Rafa Marquez is still playing for Mexico , the guy seems to be around forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Am I very sexist that I find it hard to listen to a woman on the panel. I know I know it sounds terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

RTE are mad about Mexico. Barely even mentioning the much better chances Brazil created.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The standard of international football is pretty low so upsets are to be expected.
    Not low enough for us to qualify.

• Advertisement

Think she was accused of assaulting her 7 foot nephew and she was acquitted. It all sounded strange.

The height thing was thrown around quite a bit, rather than the information that came out after.

She was drunk and was attempting to drive home, her family convinced her to come inside. Then apparently she started abusing the nephew over his weight and he told her to leave, on their way to the garage she hit him with a punch and he pushed her back, then she tackled him to the ground and started to hit him, the sister then entered and jumped on her back pulling her off and she starter going after the sister. The police were called and they took her away and charged her while the rest were not charged. From the report it came out:
    The police were trying to book her into jail, but Solo was so combative that she had to be forced to the ground, prompting her to yell at one officer "You're such a b----. You're scared of me because you know that if the handcuffs were off, I'd kick your ass."Solo, perhaps the best women's soccer goalie in the world, had repeatedly hurled insults at the officers processing her arrest, suggesting that two jailers were having sex and calling another officer a "14-year-old boy." When asked to remove a necklace, an apparently drunk Solo told the officer that the piece of jewelry was worth more than he made in a year.

Like I said the charges were dropped this year but still does not paint a pretty picture. That coupled with the reports of her and her husband getting physical during arguments doesn't paint a great picture.

She may be a brilliant analyst but I will always find it hard to warm to her.

The charges were actually only finally dropped about 4-5 months ago, were for attacking both her nephew and her sister, and later threatening police with violence, and quite hilariously one of the reasons that the charges were dismissed were for being "unlikely to recur". Which basically translates as she got off because she ticks all the right boxes in America to be given a degree of immunity from the law and consequences.

The fact that she was not suspended during the investigation is every bit as bad as when the NFL tried to do similar for a player knocking his girlfriend out cold in a Las Vegas elevator. They got absolutely driven through the mud for that and rightly so, the US football body? Nah, not so much.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Am I very sexist that I find it hard to listen to a woman on the panel. I know I know it sounds terrible.

It shouldn't matter so long as they're good at it. Though now that you mention it while I have seen some top, top quality female pundits/podcasters etc when it comes to the NFL, I don't recall ever seeing likewise for football.

Average enough game so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Brazil have now overtaken Germany as the top scoring team in World Cup history with 227 goals. (BBC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So Casemiro misses the QFs which means Fernandinho gets the start should they go through.
    This is the thing about this Brazil team, you've got real quality replacements in every position.
    You have Ederson in goal, Marquinhos at the back, Douglas Costa for attacking midfield and Firminho up top.
    Other players not starting today include Danilo, Fred, Marcelo and Taison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Mexico are industrious and all that, but can't hang on to the ball under pressure like Brazil can, and don't have enough up front to do any damage.

Willian has been outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

That is outrageous behavior from Neymar, no downward pressure put on that toe on shin, despicable .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Neymar surely has this year's Golden Raspberry Award sewn up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Neymar nearly died .. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement