Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Heartbreak for the Japanese. Hope Brazil put these out in the next round. That first goal was some fluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

What a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Harsh on Japan, but Belgium fully deserved it. Japan should have played for Extra time at the end. Lukaku needs to be dropped, Belgium can’t afford to miss chances like that against the bigger teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Really feel for Japan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Martinez got away with that one. When Kev is played in his best position, you see what he can do in that third goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,309 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Kamikaze tactics ,feel sorry for the Japanese but they completely lost their heads in the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

kerplun k wrote: »
    Harsh on Japan, but Belgium fully deserved it. Japan should have played for Extra time at the end. Lukaku needs to be dropped, Belgium can’t afford to miss chances like that against the bigger teams.

Pure hyperbole.

You don’t drop your all time goal scorer and second highest goal scorer in this World Cup for one underwhelming game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Belgians not far off blaming another manager for underperforming players. Martinez's subs changed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My god your heart would go out to Japan.

Classy gesture to salute their fans though despite the undoubted heartbreak they are surely suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Lukker- wrote: »
    About the best thing Lukaku did all night was leave that ball for Chadli. Superb counter though

It was a beautiful dummy though.

He got himself into brilliant positions in and around the box for those headers and as unlucky with at least 2 of them. Ronnie "he's got to score that" Whelan was doing my head in.

• Advertisement

My god your heart would go out to Japan.

Classy gesture to salute their fans though despite the undoubted heartbreak they are surely suffering.

All teams do that after exiting to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

How the f*ck does Dembele not get his game? Whatever about not bringing Naingolan but playing Witsel over Dembele is madness. Just the player De Bruyne needs to be at his best too. Martinez really is butchering the countries chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

DeBryne really orchestrated that winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

He got himself into brilliant positions in and around the box for those headers and as unlucky with at least 2 of them. Ronnie "he's got to score that" Whelan was doing my head in.

The Belgian players seemed to ignore a lot of his runs as well. Hazard in particular was super greedy on the ball and KDB was as poor as I've seen him. He got very little service but should have scored one of those headers. He normally puts those away

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I watched it on the BBC so didn't get any of the Ronnie Whelan hyperbole. At least 2 he was unmarked, the one straight at the keeper I'm more forgiving. But it's international football, he's not gonna get so many bites against the better teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Guarantee you if that was reversed, and Japanese created those chances, Whelan would be lauding the Japanese players for great play. It’s so f**king double standard. It’s almost like they have this small nation mentality. I can’t stand it.

The Belgian players seemed to ignore a lot of his runs as well. Hazard in particular was super greedy on the ball and KDB was as poor as I've seen him. He got very little service but should have scored one of those headers. He normally puts those away

I think that's nonsense. He doesn't make himself available in the build up. (He has the least touches of any outfield player in the tournament in the group stages)

I really can't recall any moments where he had a made a good run and felt that he could have been picked out. Maybe once or twice Menuier made bad choices on the right, but I don't think Lukaku was available anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The first World Cup I really remember in it's entirety, was way back in 1978 in Argentina. And I've never seen a World Cup like this one, what a game of football. As a neutral I've never been as gutted to see a team lose. But what an effort by Japan. Brazil will need to wake up fast and start playing like Brazil if they want to beat Belgium. The thing is, it's been a very long time since I've seen a Brazilian team playing like Brazil.

I think that's nonsense. He doesn't make himself available in the build up. (He has the least touches of any outfield player in the tournament in the group stages)

I really can't recall any moments where he had a made a good run and felt that he could have been picked out. Maybe once or twice Menuier made bad choices on the right, but I don't think Lukaku was available anyway.

You'll have to watch again so. Loads of little runs in behind when he doesn't get it, especially first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The Honda criticism is weird. He takes a corner. Keeping it at the corner flag would have made no sense there. You hold it out to 90, you just have to go 30 minutes against a superior Belgium team (and you definitely deem them superior if you're keeping it at the corner flag while drawing).

You take a corner, you have a chance to score and win the game. It is hardly kamikaze to take a corner. Some of the defending of the counter attack, however left alot to be desired.

• Advertisement

You'll have to watch again so. Loads of little runs in behind when he doesn't get it, especially first half.

Maybe you see what you want:)

CSF wrote: »
    The Honda criticism is weird. He takes a corner. Keeping it at the corner flag would have made no sense there. You hold it out to 90, you just have to go 30 minutes against a superior Belgium team (and you definitely deem them superior if you're keeping it at the corner flag while drawing).

You take a corner, you have a chance to score and win the game. It is hardly kamikaze to take a corner. Some of the defending of the counter attack, however left alot to be desired.

Its ridiculous criticism. He absolutely should take a proper corner there and try to win.

Not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well my opinion is that Belgium have one match left in this World Cup. If you give up yep against Japan you are giving up more against Brazil.

They've no idea how to defend which has always been the Achilles heel of a Roberto Martinez coached side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Feel for Japan, really feel for them. They gave it absolutely everything. Played some nice football, two classy goals, the second was an absolute beaut in my opinion. They can go home with their heads held high. Hope our lads are watching that. That's a lesson on how to go about your business. Credit to Belgium also, they worked very hard to get the win there. Proves that they are a real force in this competition, not that we needed confirmation. Need to do some work at the back for the Brazil game but they'll get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ronnie is dreadful

Maybe you see what you want:)

My argument is that I'm watching Lukaku make runs and not get the ball to feet and in behind at all. I'm watching Hazard over dribble, KDB and Mertens struggle to find teammates with good passes. And the stats you provided back it up. If Lukaku isn't getting touches, it could be because of him, or maybe he also isn't getting good ball. For me, I didn't see any good ball along the ground into Lukaku to work with and the only time he got on the ball was wide left when he ran the channels. It is as much a responsibility if the guys behind him to get him the ball and the simply aren't doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Imo Lukaku was not great tonight. The thing about him though is that he works extremely hard and reads the game very well. His finishing is not up to the standard expected of someone with his price tag but that doesn't matter a lot in the World Cup. He did very well to create space and bluff the defense for the winning goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Brady never tracked back in his life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Great game of football. Referee a non factor, no diving, lots of endeavour and some some brilliant performances. The winner was a worthy, but cruel, end to the game.

I'm not watching RTE again. Too many people with low IQ's talking gibberish.

Yep, pundits going on about never doing it clearly forgot the 1999 CL Final...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CSF wrote:

They were so out on their feet I think they needed to win in normal time or it would have ended 4 or 5 - 2 to Belgium in ET.

#PrayforNeymar

DhHLYLgXcAADl5v.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The game changer doing what he does best

Other than that I am gutted for Japan and furious at Honda.

Some game though!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

#PrayforNeymar

DhHLYLgXcAADl5v.jpg

Is he officially more annoying then Pepe now?

Martin O'Neill said 'I would hate to see Neymar after a visit to the doctor for a flu jab'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Its ridiculous criticism. He absolutely should take a proper corner there and try to win.

They hadn't won a header in about 20 minutes, they were heavily outgunned physically at set pieces and lobbing it in on top of a 6'7 GK was never the right move.

Trying to win, absolutely. They had the short corner option and the a 2 on 1 out wide, try work that and fizz a ball across anything can happen.

Vacate the centre of the pitch and lob the ball into the goalkeepers hands in that scenario and you are going to face criticism, rightly.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Is he officially more annoying then Pepe now?

Would love to see his reaction if he was on the receiving end of a proper tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,113 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

corny wrote: »

You might want to stay off Boards too if that's the logic you're using :D

They hadn't won a header in about 20 minutes, they were heavily outgunned physically at set pieces and lobbing it in on top of a 6'7 GK was never the right move.

Trying to win, absolutely. They had the short corner option and the a 2 on 1 out wide, try work that and fizz a ball across anything can happen.

Vacate the centre of the pitch and lob the ball into the goalkeepers hands in that scenario and you are going to face criticism, rightly.

Honestly, what were the chances they concede a goal from their own corner? It’s hardly kamikaze. If the delivery is slightly better and someone gets their head to it they’re being lauded for their bravery. The real answer is somewhere in the middle.

Football mentality is weird. Nobody has too much of a problem with players that kick people around for a living, but they’re full on enraged by the guy who exaggerates injury.

Like I’m no fan of it either, but that mentality is weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Quazzie wrote: »
    You might want to stay off Boards too if that's the logic you're using :D

Touche but none of these saps get paid for it. Its not as galling.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

It's funny how the media and neutral fans were criticizing Japan for passing the ball against Poland and now they're criticizing them for not passing around and keeping the ball in the corner.

Honestly, what were the chances they concede a goal from their own corner? It’s hardly kamikaze. If the delivery is slightly better and someone gets their head to it they’re being lauded for their bravery. The real answer is somewhere in the middle.

Indeed it was. KDB couldn't believe his luck when he set off on that run....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

corny wrote: »
    Great game of football. Referee a non factor, no diving, lots of endeavour and some some brilliant performances. The winner was a worthy, but cruel, end to the game.

I'm glad the referee was a non-factor.
    He wouldn'tr have been had this gone to extra time.
    Belgium made one brilliant attack at either 2-1 or 2-2, and two Belgians were hauled back, but both managed to release their passes. he never went back and booked either player, even though both were cynical, professional fouls. I was convinced we were going to extra-time, and that both of those guys would have a "free foul" bacause at that stage Belgium were really turning it on, and the Japanese had to foul them to slow them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Some world class managers on here should be getting a top PL job any day now.

Japan gave it there all and were going for a winner, they should be commended.

Wasting time in the corner is an idiotic thing to do when there is extra time after the 90 and the score is level!

There is another option besides wasting time in the corner and playing a low % lob into the box that they choose while leaving nobody covering the middle of the field.

And sure yeah, just pack up the entire forum since it is not possible to discuss football without being a top class manager in a PL job.

There is another option besides wasting time in the corner and playing a low % lob into the box that they choose while leaving nobody covering the middle of the field.

And sure yeah, just pack up the entire forum since it is not possible to discuss football without being a top class manager in a PL job.

For me, the issue is the player that vacates his position outside the box to make a run to the back post, and then some of the positioning once the counter begins. They’re all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

We really got lucky in the end when they decided to give that corner, instead of playing it short. But what a fantastic dummy by Lukaku, many strikers would have tried to go for glory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Totally agree.

A lot of lads here are in the ‘if you don’t 100% agree with me you must be 100% disagreeing with me’ camp.

I have no problem with Japan trying to win the game, it’s how they tried to do it. Belgium were taller and more physical and were winning practically every header, so the odds on scoring from a high cross from the corner were low enough.

To leave themselves that open to the counter was sheer stupidity - the defender nearest to Courtois should have blocked the throw and taken the yellow because once KDB got the ball they were screwed.

Finally, Honda putting the ball into the keepers hands was just silly. Even if a defender headed it clear Japan would probably have been ok. The only way Japan were losing from their own corner was to put it straight into the keepers hands and have put too many men forward.

Very few, if any, said they should have kept the ball in the corner. As Stringer said in an earlier post, Japan probably should have looked to create a 2 on 1 and get a low cross in, or a pull back to the edge of the box for a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Japanese were dead on their feet and had to win it in the 90mins, cos they would definitely not have held out for another 30min extra time v a strong Belgian team.

Honda crossed it in to try to win the game. Fair play I say. Wasting time in the corner, they would have lost anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement