Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Any newspapers with wallcharts this weekend? I saw the Daily Mail has one but any others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Corholio wrote: »
    Any newspapers with wallcharts this weekend? I saw the Daily Mail has one but any others?

Irish Times has a special World Cup magazine included with the chart on the centre pages. Haven't looked at the mag yet other than to make sure the chart was in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The guardian had a handy enough little thing in the middle of their WC booklet. Be no use for a wall mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tunisia v Spain is on Freesports this evening. KO 7.45 or 8 pm

Enzo Perez replaces Lanzini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It seems it's the UK Daily Mail that has the wallchart today, not the Irish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Spain with most of the ball but Tunisia equal to them in terms of goal threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Serbia taking Heads and Volleys to a whole new level.

https://twitter.com/MarkovicNeb/status/1005493178517086216

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

What is it about Serbian full backs!

Ivanovic and Kolarov really don't do simple goals

I remember this goal v Villa, almost exact same angle but took it on the other foot

Prone to many a frustrating mistake and makes Valencia look like Beckham at times with his crossing but he was a Fantasy football gold when at Chelsea with finishes like that and bullet headers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and sure we all know that is the true barometer when measuring a players ability

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Frankie goes to Russia on BBC2 now

Stephen15 wrote: »

I am guessing RTE will have a "Marty goes to Moscow" version out soon as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Stephen15 wrote: »

Feck, missed it. Was watching that SoccerAid shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Any interesting articles or previews or any good world cup content knocking about I'd be delighted if anyone would post it up?

I'm off for a few days before back to work for 9 days come Thursday (I know :( :eek: ) so trying to get ahead of the curve if I can!

Cheers in advance folks :)

The Guardian has a fairly extensive World Cup section under their football content. New stuff added each day previewing teams, picking out players to watch out for, asking foreign players/journalists to rate their own country's chances, etc. Find myself going back there more than any other site so far!

Few decent podcasts too - the Totally Football Show, the Guardian Football Weekly. Previewing groups over the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The Guardian World Cup section is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Any interesting articles or previews or any good world cup content knocking about I'd be delighted if anyone would post it up?

I'm off for a few days before back to work for 9 days come Thursday (I know :( :eek: ) so trying to get ahead of the curve if I can!

Cheers in advance folks :)

The Totally Football Show with James Richardson have a 3 part World Cup preview podcast that's worth a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Agree that the Guardian coverage is very good. Also I'd recommend the Tifo Football animated previews from Youtube. They are doing a rundown of the tactical side of things from each group. Here's the one for Group A:

They are up to Group F at the moment with the remaining ones being added in the next few days. There's some other nice player profiles available too on their channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Today's star has a 48 page magazine in it along with a wall chart for those still looking for one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

Any newspapers doing walls chart before it starts over the coming days, forgot to pick one up and young lads asked me this evening have I got one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Glebee wrote: »
    Any newspapers doing walls chart before it starts over the coming days, forgot to pick one up and young lads asked me this evening have I got one?

See the post literally above yours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Glebee

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Doooh, sorry about that...

Glebee wrote: »
    Doooh, sorry about that...

Sorry I came across snotty in my reply. Wasn't my intention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Haven't gotten a wallchart and its the young lads first world cup (that he can watch). Any lalers left or just print one off? I duno, it just doesn't feel the same not having it from the paper, nostalgia and all that.

This should print out in good quality if you want one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Here is a PDF of a World Cup chart from Reddit. I split it into two pages (two A3 pages to be put together)
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/rk3vg3
    I can't attach it here as it is 40MB in size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Regarding the wall charts,Paddy Power apparently have free ones in-store only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Getting excited for this now! Can anyone recommend any good pubs to watch the matches on Saturday in Dublin city? Ideally the southside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

So it appears that the President of the Spanish FA has decided to sack Lopetegui last night after feeling betrayed that he took the Real job, but has reportedly been talked down for the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Getting excited for this now! Can anyone recommend any good pubs to watch the matches on Saturday in Dublin city? Ideally the southside.

Now I know what Ferris Bueller really did on his day off.

Paully D wrote: »
    So it appears that the President of the Spanish FA has decided to sack Lopetegui last night after feeling betrayed that he took the Real job, but has reportedly been talked down for the moment!

Yikes. How's that for helping your preparations...

Wonder will it affect the Spanish camp? The timing really was poor from their perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Paully D wrote: »

Real could have waited until the WC or more specifically, Spains WC was over to announce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Did the Examiner release their world cup guide ? Usually a great read with an old wallchart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

2026 World Cup venue will be decided today, really hope it's Mexico, USA + Canada ... would hate it Morocco got it.

Imagine playing the 1st group match in Mexico City and then the next in Edmonton Canada ! ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

2026 World Cup venue will be decided today, really hope it's Mexico, USA + Canada ... would hate it Morocco got it.

Imagine playing the 1st group match in Mexico City and then the next in Edmonton Canada ! ..

Seems daft. Travel sounds a nightmare. Any one of those countries could host and already be a bit of a pain to travel around. The Russians at least kept it to European Russia.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Real could have waited until the WC or more specifically, Spains WC was over to announce it.

Apparently they had no choice. The Real players knew, but it leaked to a Barca player so they had to pre-empt it leaking hence the sudden announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

People giving out about the distances between in venues in Russia would be better to take it off.

Although if they committed to only play matches in the Eastern timezone then I could be persuaded. Would make for decent TV times here, first match ~5 pm, last ~midnight :pac:

If it is a North America winning i am sure they would match cities up better than in 94.

Don't forget this will also be a 48 team World Cup so teams will have 2 group games going by that format.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Cotts72 wrote:
    Did the Examiner release their world cup guide ? Usually a great read with an old wallchart

It was out Monday

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    People giving out about the distances between in venues in Russia would be better to take it off.

Although if they committed to only play matches in the Eastern timezone then I could be persuaded. Would make for decent TV times here, first match ~5 pm, last ~midnight :pac:

Distance between the two cities further apart is only 200 miles more than the distance between two cities in the 2014 World Cup

• Advertisement

Distance between the two cities further apart is only 200 miles more than the distance between two cities in the 2014 World Cup

Yep, and plenty gave out about the choice of venues for it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Bit of me would love if FIFA had the chutzpah to pick Morocco just to stick two figures up at Trump/FBI/that whole thing.
    But realistically looking at the bids its about 1/500 North America, 200/1 Morocco.

The Americas is the no1 time zone for us watching on TV anyway so for the best I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

It was out Monday

Dammit :confused:

Bit of me would love if FIFA had the chutzpah to pick Morocco just to stick two figures up at Trump/FBI/that whole thing.
    But realistically looking at the bids its about 1/500 North America, 200/1 Morocco.

The Americas is the no1 time zone for us watching on TV anyway so for the best I guess.

What's it to do with Trump or the FBI and he will be long gone by time 2026 comes along ?? Even if he gets second term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It has nothing to do with him but you can be pretty sure he'll claim credit for it, assuming they get it.

It has nothing to do with him but you can be pretty sure he'll claim credit for it, assuming they get it.

Poor Mexico wouldnt be able to participate with that wall in the way :pac:

• Advertisement

What's it to do with Trump or the FBI and he will be long gone by time 2026 comes along ?? Even if he gets second term

Tweeted a not so subtle threat last week that any nation that doesn't support the NA bid may have any US aid or support they receive reviewed. That's what it has to do with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Trump - some vague threats the last few days about how the voting countries should remember who their friends are etc.

FBI - fairly obvious no? the whole investigation sparked off by Qatar getting 2022 ahead the USA. So I think it would be funny if new FIFA just decided to go with Morocco which is the lesser financially lucrative bid this time. As proof that money isn't their big issue anymore.

But meh, with serious hat on, the NthAm bid is clearly better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

True ... but thanks to Trump , US relationships with Mexico and Canada aren't exactly best buds at the moment ... could influence votes.

Then again , it's FIFA and revenue generation from the US seriously "trumps" staging it in Morocco - if you'll excuse the pun and we all know how much FIFA likes it's money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Lopetegui sacked by Spain is now doing the rounds.

It's member states that vote by the way not FIFA or its various officials. New FIFA is exactly the same as old FIFA it seems and Gianni is doing everything he can to ensure a NA win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement