Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Paully D wrote: »
    You’ll almost certainly make the final.

What makes you think that?
    blueser wrote: »
    We won't go much further; it's a limited side. But let us enjoy tonight. England shootout wins are like decent summers; bloody rare.

It's weird. I was resigned to getting knocked out once we went to penalties and on the brink of turning it off once Henderson missed. Delighted to get the win on penalties. Let the dust settle on this game, enjoy the win and think about the next round tomorrow. Credit to the lads who took them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great to see England win.

But I think we seen enough tonight to know they are not good enough to win it.

They have got a ridiculous chance considering everything.

Sterling just isn't working not other way to put it. And the midfield has no real creativity.

Ox Chamberlain would have had a great opportunity in this WC - sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

We may well be facing France or Brazil in the semi final (if we get there). That sort of performance again would not be good enough against either of them.

You won’t. Croatia or Russia.

It’s coming home...

Sterling just isn't working not other way to put it. And the midfield has no real creativity.

Not sure what is up with him. He is not at the races at all for some reason. Anyway off to celebrate. Love penalties now.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    You won’t. Croatia or Russia.

It’s coming home...

yes don't know what draw he is watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Pickford's save in injury time was one of the best I have ever seen, anywhere.

England deserved it over 120 minutes, looked wrecked in extra time but found a second wind. I thought Colombia were too defensive for a lot of the game - didn't commit enough to attack, and the result was that England were able to smother them pretty easily in midfield. Once they did push more players forward in the last 20 minutes, the looked a different team.

That side of the draw is so open. Croatia are probably the team in the best form so far, but that still isn't fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Ox Chamberlain would have had a great opportunity in this WC - sad.

He just looks so wishy-washy in possession. It's incredible what a weak strike Sterling has. When Messi takes a shot, even with no backlift, he ****ing belts it, but Sterling looks like he hits it limp-ankled.

Messi doesn't have baseball bats for legs. He just knows how to strike a ball. Sterling has atrocious shot technique, which really is ****ing daft for a lad whose been playing with top class footballers and strikers of the ball like Suarez, Coutinho, Gerrard, Sturridge, Aguero, Silva, De Bruyne, etc, from a very young age.

AOC was so powerful and decisive in his dribbling for Liverpool this season. He'd slot in really nicely to this side.
    That said, it'd probably be for Lingard rather than Sterling.

osarusan wrote: »
    Pickford's save in injury time was one of the best I have ever seen, anywhere.

England deserved it over 120 minutes, looked wrecked in extra time but found a second wind. I thought Colombia were too defensive for a lot of the game - didn't commit enough to attack, and the result was that England were able to smother them pretty easily in midfield. Once they did push more players forward in the last 20 minutes, the looked a different team.

That side of the draw is so open. Croatia are probably the team in the best form so far, but that still isn't fantastic.

Was it just me or were they ridiculously physical in the first 60 minutes? Have it in my head that they were constantly shouting at the referee and trying to force us into silly off the ball fouls. That save from the shot outside the box was top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Berserker wrote: »
    Was it just me or were the ridiculously physical in the first 60 minutes? Have it in my head that they were constantly shouting at the referee and trying to force us into silly off the ball fouls. That save from the shot outside the box was top class.
    They should have had a player sent off for that headbutt. Was a ridiculous decision. Barrios also seemed to have 9 lives with the ref once he got his yellow. They ****housed their way through the first 75 minutes, when they are a team that can actually play. Was bizarre.

Lingard had a decent shout for a pen as well, although I think he was going down too early. Had he just kept running, he was going to get clattered and would defo have gotten one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why is he a bottler, he stepped up when others wouldn't.

Stepped up and fu*ked it.

Looked a bag of nerves and his penalty was very weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

yes don't know what draw he is watching.
    Apologies. Read the draw wrong.

It’s allowed given the circumstances. You boys have a great chance here to get to the semis or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This World Cup has been the best major tournaments that I can remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Stepped up and fu*ked it.

Looked a bag of nerves and his penalty was very weak.

Anybody who steps up deserves praise. No sign of Vardy or Lingard (think Lingard was cramping badly at the end though, normally takes a decent one so was surprised not to see him)

Berserker wrote: »
    Was it just me or were they ridiculously physical in the first 60 minutes? Have it in my head that they were constantly shouting at the referee and trying to force us into silly off the ball fouls. That save from the shot outside the box was top class.
    If they'd played the whole 90 minutes the way they played the last 15 minutes (in normal time), that game may well have ended differently.

wadacrack wrote: »

I don't think so

Started positive

Brazil was way better and that is only 1 event ago.

I did miss a few of the best games i must admit.

Easiest route to a final ever.

But they have deserved it.

Only word of warning - they will face a test they haven't faced late in tournament and could be a big big let down.

But you'd rather be let down then not be there at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Balls of steel from Dier to be fair. He was terrible against Belgium and was awful when he came on tonight. Was certain he’d miss it. Great penalty.

It was a sh!t penalty...just worse goalkeeping. Henderson’s was actually hit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Odds going into the quarter final...

11/4 Brazil
    7/2 France
    4/1 England
    11/2 Belgium
    11/2 Croatia
    14/1 Uruguay
    20/1 Russia
    22/1 Sweden

Billy86 wrote: »
    Odds going into the quarter final...

11/4 Brazil
    7/2 France
    4/1 England
    11/2 Belgium
    11/2 Croatia
    14/1 Uruguay
    20/1 Russia
    22/1 Sweden

Was thinking mad to have Belgium and Croatia below England

But again all above is based on fact - the draw is one sided, it is taking away from teams chances and to a degree whilst great for England - taking a little away from event.

Belgium - Brazil
    France - Brazil

Real classic finals not on now.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It was a sh!t penalty...just worse goalkeeping. Henderson’s was actually hit better.
    Neither of them were great penalties. Henderson's was easy to read re. which way he was going to go, plus it was a decent height for a keeper. Dier's wasn't in the corner and Ospina really should have saved it. Glad he didn't though!

Turtyturd wrote: »

Behave. Henderson’s was a nice height for the keeper.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Only 3 and a half days to the Sweden match, they'll be knackered.

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd never wish injury on a player but a good two footer on Neymar wouldnt be so bad.

I don't think you'd have to go to all that bother.........

Only 3 and a half days to the Sweden match, they'll be knackered.
    Doubt they'll be doing too much strenuous training tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Lads, I love Harry Kane. I'm an Irish man and a Celtic fan, but my god what a guy. Remember the "pressure of being England captain".

14 goals in 10 apps.

6 goals in 3 world cup appearances

30+ goals in 4 consecutive seasons for spurs

Sir Harry.

I used to feel the same about Steven Gerrard. No drama, just wants to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Neither of them were great penalties. Henderson's was easy to read re. which way he was going to go, plus it was a decent height for a keeper. Dier's wasn't in the corner and Ospina really should have saved it. Glad he didn't though!

Agree. Wouldn’t be praising Henderson’s but couldn’t see anyone unbiased calling Dier’s penalty great. A decent keeper saves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I reckon Kane has the golden boot wrapped up already even if he doesn’t score again.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Pickford was well off his line for the save.
    Actually, no;
    H8hyZ6q.jpg
    He had one foot behind the line, never mind on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Anyone watch that show on rte after about Irish millionaires. **** me it will depress ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

A lot here were unimpressed by England but I thought they played very well for most part. Their passing, especially under pressure was brilliant. Was enjoyable to watch. Yet again set pieces played a part for them, despite Colombia being good from them too.

England completed dominated and while the idea of bringing on a player to see it out looked good on paper dropping Alli for Dier changed the game. It stunted them coming out to attack, reduced their possession and invited pressure from a Colombian side already chasing the game. Ironic he would win it for them as I thought him coming on was going to cost them.

England winning in penalties will be a huge boost to them. They've answered my doubts today about whether they would cave under pressure. Also have to say it's nice for Southgate after the backlash he faced from Euro96 pens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

England deserved to win even though they were pretty poor. Trippier misjudged the bounce it was nothing to do with his height he actually ducked down just before heading it. He has had a great world cup apart from that . Always rated him having watched him at Burnley in the championship and spurs got him for an absolute steal 3 million. He is a better footballer than walker but walker has great pace. Walker has also done quite well in the back 3 with his pace helping him at times.Hopefully Sweden end this nightmare on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Adamocovic wrote: »
    A lot here were unimpressed by England but I thought they played very well for most part. Their passing, especially under pressure was brilliant. Was enjoyable to watch. Yet again set pieces played a part for them, despite Colombia being good from them too.

England completed dominated and while the idea of bringing on a player to see it out looked good on paper dropping Alli for Dier changed the game. It stunted them coming out to attack, reduced their possession and invited pressure from a Colombian side already chasing the game. Ironic he would win it for them as I thought him coming on was going to cost them.

England winning in penalties will be a huge boost to them. They've answered my doubts today about whether they would cave under pressure. Also have to say it's nice for Southgate after the backlash he faced from Euro96 pens.

I was 7 years old in 96, it was the first time I'd ever felt empathy. Delighted for Gareth. I thought he was a shocking appointment at the time, but had allardyce still been in charge you can be sure Rooney and the likes would have played tonight and got knocked out.

England deserved to win even though they were pretty poor. Trippier misjudged the bounce it was nothing to do with his height he actually ducked down just before heading it. He has had a great world cup apart from that . Always rated him having watched him at Burnley in the championship and spurs got him for an absolute steal 3 million. He is a better footballer than walker but walker has great pace. Walker has also done quite well in the back 3 with his pace helping him at times.Hopefully Sweden end this nightmare on Saturday.
    "nightmare"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

England deserved that after all the Colombian antics after the penalty. They the spent the next ten minutes after that putting all their energy into trying to con the referee, buying fouls, rolling around, surrounding him.on every decision etc etc. F em. Glad they're gone. It's been an awful side effect of this world cup the carry on of the South America teams.
    If they put that much effort getting back into the game the outcome might have been different.
    Fair play to England to win the shootout. Surprised to see dier take the last one....it's their Dave o Leary moment. This should galvanise them no end. Only croatia, modric and rakitic, can stop them making the final now.
    Great save by Pickford...from the 30yarder and the penalty. Will courtois be on Twitter tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

"nightmare"?

I can't be dealing with england winning it. It would be a nightmare for me. No offence but its just something I never want to have to witness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Adamocovic wrote: »

England completed dominated and while the idea of bringing on a player to see it out looked good on paper dropping Alli for Dier changed the game.

They dominated play, but only to an extent. They did what they often do... what they did against Iceland for instance... loads of possession, but created almost no chances and got fairly fortunate with a penalty.

They still have the same problem they've had for a while, which is simply scoring goals against decent teams.

Definitely the better team, and definitely deserved to go through - especially since Colombia should have been down to 10 men - but they really need to start creating actual chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I can't be dealing with england winning it. It would be a nightmare for me. No offence but its just something I never want to have to witness.

You are not thinking positive the further they get, the more disappointed they will be when they lose! :D

Sweden are well capable of beating England by wearing them down with bog standard premier league inspired tactics.
    The irony of that would be gas.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

No sweat. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. I just find the term "nightmare" a bit OTT, that's all. There's teams left in that I wouldn't like to see win, but it wouldn't be a nightmare for me if they did. Maybe I'm just getting more placid in my dotage!

wadacrack wrote: »

I'm really enjoying it but I don't think the standard has been amazing. Not a bad thing as its very open.

• Advertisement

As for the game itself I felt England did deserve it over all. Started watching RTE. Then went to UTV for the tense bits.
    It was funny on UTV Glenn Hoddle basically resorted to wishful thinking after it was 1-1.
    Coming out with lines like 'Mina's hamstring is gone Vardy has a chance to go at him' His hamstring was grand it turned out.
    But jayus Clive Tylsey is damn annoying with those little yelps he does, with his miopic commentary.
    It must be like what people from other countries feel like when they listen to George Hamilton during an Ireland game?

At the final whistle they showed images of the pitch.
    Cue voices back to the studio.
    There was a sound of some spluttering and choking sounds.

Studio Presenter: Are you alright Ian?

Ian Wright: (Still choking) You want me to speak?

Studio Presenter: Ian Wright has lost his glasses!

Ian Wright: (Speechless choking)

I thought to myself sure you can begrudge them a bit of joy?

I am curious to know how the Colombian supporters outnumbered the English?

How in the name of Jayus did that happen? From the telly it seemed like a Colombian home game!

As for the game itself I felt England did deserve it over all. Started watching RTE. Then went to UTV for the tense bits.
    It was funny on UTV Glenn Hoddle basically resorted to wishful thinking after it was 1-1.
    Coming out with lines like 'Mina's hamstring is gone Vardy has a chance to go at him' His hamstring was grand it turned out.
    But jayus Clive Tylsey is damn annoying with those little yelps he does, with his miopic commentary.
    It must be like what people from other countries feel like when they listen to George Hamilton during an Ireland game?

At the final whistle they showed images of the pitch.
    Cue voices back to the studio.
    There was a sound of some spluttering and choking sounds.

Studio Presenter: Are you alright Ian?

Ian Wright: (Still choking) You want me to speak?

Studio Presenter: Ian Wright has lost his glasses!

Ian Wright: (Speechless choking)

I thought to myself sure you can begrudge them a bit of joy?
    Isn't every country's commentators biased towards their own team? It baffles me the stick the English media get when bigging up the England team, however misguided they may be. RTE and TV3, as well as the Irish editions of the tabloids, are just as guilty. Hamilton and Whelan in full flow are something else altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Said it at the start of the tournament that Sweden might do well and might surprise a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Delighted for England.

Hope they go all the way.

Would have taken away from the tournament for me if they went out tonight. Colombia were scummy tonight, glad to see the back of them.

Brazil are average, France had one decent spell in one game, Belgium went two down to Japan and Croatia were rubbish v Denmark. This is wide open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Isn't every country's commentators biased towards their own team? It baffles me the stick the English media get when bigging up the England team, however misguided they may be. RTE and TV3, as well as the Irish editions of the tabloids, are just as guilty. Hamilton and Whelan in full flow are something else altogether!

RTÉ certainly aren’t biased towards the Ireland team.

So you fail on your first sentence.

Fair point I suppose.

Jayus, Ronnie Whelan has to be the worst commentator out the lot UK/Irish/Rest of the World.
    How did he captain Liverpool at midfield?
    The guy cannot breathe.
    He does not know how to use his lungs properly to speak.
    He never ever sounds happy either.
    Too much time hanging around with Mark Lawrenson and Kenny Dalglish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nothing wrong with bias.

What grates is when it switches from "Jeysus I hope we win!" to, "we will win"/"we deserve to win"/"Who do we think we'll be meeting in the semi final"

And to be fair the English panelists themselves have been fairly grand this time - but their side pieces, the little docs and separate discussion shows and such can be a bit insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Actually, no;
    H8hyZ6q.jpg
    He had one foot behind the line, never mind on it!

Yeah saw another replay, front the front he looked well off but his back leg was definitely on the line. Good sprawl and a strong hand.

RTÉ certainly aren’t biased towards the Ireland team.

So you fail on your first sentence.

The nation holds its breath?

In fairness at least Gerorge Hamilton did not shout 'Go on Packie' in Italia 90 v Romania.
    But yer man Clive Tyldesley on UTV shouts 'Go on Jordan' during one of today's penos.

• Advertisement
Advertisement