Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with bias.

What grates is when it switches from "Jeysus I hope we win!" to, "we will win"/"we deserve to win"

And to be fair the English panelists themselves have been fairly grand this time - but their side pieces, the little docs and separate discussion shows and such can be a bit insufferable.

Lee Dixon said tonight if England go out to Sweden next they will always have that feeling what if we actually beat them, what could have been.....

Can anyone explain this nonsense????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Said it at the start of the tournament that Sweden might do well and might surprise a few

Fair play.
    I won't lie, never considered them.
    They are the football version of wholemeal bread and butter nothing fancy.
    Can seem a bit stale at times.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Lads, I love Harry Kane. I'm an Irish man and a Celtic fan, but my god what a guy. Remember the "pressure of being England captain".

14 goals in 10 apps.

6 goals in 3 world cup appearances

30+ goals in 4 consecutive seasons for spurs

Sir Harry.

I used to feel the same about Steven Gerrard. No drama, just wants to win.

Yeah he is something else in fairness. I find him very boring off the pitch, but it’s hard to find fault with him on it. I thought he was the wrong choice before the tournament as captain, but he is England’s talisman and leads by example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

I am curious to know how the Colombian supporters outnumbered the English?

How in the name of Jayus did that happen? From the telly it seemed like a Colombian home game!

Find this weird myself too, the South American teams are so well supported in Russia, not exactly handy for them to get too.
    Was in Japan 02 and I didn't think they had that much support, while in contrast to tonight, I was at the England v Sweden game and 3/4 of the stadium at least, was English fans.
    Seem very little of them in Russia alright.

Lee Dixon said tonight if England go out to Sweden next they will always have that feeling what if we actually beat them, what could have been.....

Can anyone explain this nonsense????

I basically think losing to Iceland in the Euros has them scared to start sounding overconfident or something?

The boasting seems more toned down then normal.

But I hope when they are knocked out George Hamilton makes a Brexit reference.
    'They left Europe now England leave the World'.... etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The nation holds its breath?

In fairness at least Gerorge Hamilton did not shout 'Go on Packie' in Italia 90 v Romania.

But he did say "Oh noooooooo! Disaster!" when Ireland conceded one World Cup goal...

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah he is something else in fairness. I find him very boring off the pitch, but it’s hard to find fault with him on it. I thought he was the wrong choice before the tournament as captain, but he is England’s talisman and leads by example.

Ah sure Shamrock Rovers have to take credit for been the making of Harry Kane, seven years ago in the Europa League :D

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/16081794

But he did say "Oh noooooooo! Disaster!" when Ireland conceded one World Cup goal...

Oh yeah I forgot that one as opposed to the usual 'Danger Here!'

raiders11 wrote: »
    Find this weird myself too, the South American teams are so well supported in Russia, not exactly handy for them to get too.
    Was in Japan 02 and I didn't think they had that much support, while in contrast to tonight, I was at the England v Sweden game and 3/4 of the stadium at least, was English fans.
    Seem very little of them in Russia alright.

Russia is not a significant Colombian emigration destination either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emigration_from_Colombia#Top_Colombian_diaspora_populations

So it is not like the Irish at USA 94 or the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Picking it out of the net?

Got first 2 right

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

mdwexford wrote:
    Brazil are average, France had one decent spell in one game, Belgium went two down to Japan and Croatia were rubbish v Denmark. This is wide open.

I think Brazil are comfortably the best side in the tournament, not that it's a huge feat. They have enough in attack to always have someone in form & a good defence.
    My main thought from this World Cup is how stagnant a lot of teams have become which is hardly a surprise as the main top clubs in Europe are more or less the same as they were 4 or 5 years ago, right down to mainly the same group of players.
    Spain, Germany, Italy, Holland & Argentina all deservedly are gone(or not even qualified) and looked quite frankly sh!t in exiting. Most were relying on players pushing 30 & up as well. Portugal I'd nearly lump in there too as when you look beyond Ronaldo most of their young performers died on their arses after moves & nobody looked like doing anything if Ronaldo didn't. Uruguay are another squad reliant on key older players.
    France are the opposite I think they made 15 changes from the last Euros squad as the talent there is clearly coming through.

The good news...no Maroon 5 for 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

RTÉ certainly aren’t biased towards the Ireland team.

So you fail on your first sentence.
    Seriously?

Can't blame commentators for being biased towards the their team, especially on the biggest stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

English fans were basically told if you go to Russia it's gonna be war.. so that terrified the majority. We have seen zero incidents of English fans taking over squares and abusing other fans ,and vice versa,no riots...

I've been very surprised by the lack.of incidents of hooliganism tbh. Given it's in Russia and it's racism in football.

• Advertisement

English fans were basically told if you go to Russia it's gonna be war.. so that terrified the majority. We have seen zero incidents of English fans taking over squares and abusing other fans ,and vice versa,no riots...

I've been very surprised by the lack.of incidents of hooliganism tbh. Given it's in Russia and it's racism in football.
    Yep. We all saw what happened a couple of years ago in France when the English hooligans got a chasing by their Russian counterparts. That will have put off quite a few England fans from travelling. Also, a lot of the pondlife will have banning orders in place and would have had to surrender their passports before the tournament. Plus the fears of racism, the perception that Russian police don't suffer fools gladly and that it's a bloody big country to get around. And the fact that there wasn't great things expected from the team before the tournament, even from the beloved English media. And it's an expensive jaunt. You might see a bit of a scramble for tickets for Samara on saturday afternoon now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

blueser wrote: »
    Actually, no;
    H8hyZ6q.jpg
    He had one foot behind the line, never mind on it!

That is a brilliant piece of goalkeeping, a huge step forward to close down the angles while staying within the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Speaking to talkSPORT host Jim White, Kirkland said: “It’s a disgrace that Thibaut Courtois has come out and said that – you don’t hammer a fellow goalkeeper, that’s a written rule.

Chris Kirkland comes to Pickford's defence. I think he meant unwritten rule unless there's some goalkeeping bible I don't know about.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Speaking to talkSPORT host Jim White, Kirkland said: “It’s a disgrace that Thibaut Courtois has come out and said that – you don’t hammer a fellow goalkeeper, that’s a written rule.

Chris Kirkland comes to Pickford's defence. I think he meant unwritten rule unless there's some goalkeeping bible I don't know about.
    What did Courtois say?

What did Courtois say?

It was from the Belgium England game. Apparently he alluded to the fact that Pickford was too short and he at 6' 5 would have saved Januzi's shot. I don't know what context he said it in and it may have been in jest but it didn't go down well in some sections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I can't be dealing with england winning it. It would be a nightmare for me. No offence but its just something I never want to have to witness.

Think you are going a little OTT there, if you don't mind me saying so. Our media may go OTT over it but is that really a nightmare?
    I am curious to know how the Colombian supporters outnumbered the English?

How in the name of Jayus did that happen? From the telly it seemed like a Colombian home game!

Lots of England fans have decided to give the tournament a miss after the incidents at the Euros. The majority of the European teams only brought a few hundred fans.
    RTÉ certainly aren’t biased towards the Ireland team.

So you fail on your first sentence.

Is that not more to do with the management? They definitely had it in for Trap and a rift has appeared between MON and RTE over the years. Also, I've been told that they were bitterly disappointed that we went through last night. The post match analysis consisted of Dunphy whinging about Pickford being off his line for the penalty save, which he wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Any win is a good win in the knockouts so well done to England,
    Enlgand lads liked like the walking dead at the end, Ali was injured, Young was injured, Kane was carrying a knock, Vardy didn't take a peno as he done his groin , could this be there undoing ?

I do think the RTE panel have been overly critical of the England team. Sterling and Ali have been really poor and if they start firing England have a real chance. They're only 3 penalty shoot-outs away from winning this thing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

How significant would people see it with Sweden having an extra days rest ahead of Saturday?

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It was from the Belgium England game. Apparently he alluded to the fact that Pickford was too short and he at 6' 5 would have saved Januzi's shot. I don't know what context he said it in and it may have been in jest but it didn't go down well in some sections.
    I'm surprised at that. He wouldn't strike me as a particularly mouthy individual. And keepers generally tend to circle the wagons if a fellow keeper gets stick in the media. What Courtois said isn't particularly incorrect. Pickford is short for a keeper, and he was poor for the Belgian goal. But you don't come out in public and Slag someone else off. And being short never did Shay Given any harm in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Cake Man wrote: »
    How significant would people see it with Sweden having an extra days rest ahead of Saturday?

They don't. They played yesteday, the same as England just 4 hours earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Berserker wrote:
    Is that not more to do with the management? They definitely had it in for Trap and a rift has appeared between MON and RTE over the years.

And Jack, Mick, Stan & Kerr.
    No Ireland manager has ever been universally loved maybe Joe Schmidt is close to being as popular as one can get albeit in another field.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭rodders999

They're pretty limited in their play but when you're on the piss poor side of the draw it doesn't really matter I suppose.

Plan A - get the ball up the field and try to win a set piece.
    Plan B,C & D - refer to Plan A.

In the ultimate act of retribution for 50 years of hurt I think they'll go on to win the WC by only scoring penalties, whether in 90 mins or in shoot outs.

Would have to be over the moon if your England,
    If that was Ireland going into to a quarter final of a world cup against Sweden you'd be chuffed with the draw .
    Man for Man England are better.
    England will make the final and lose for me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Gripping match, the time just flew by watching it.

Rorkes Drift all over again.

Corporals McGuire, Stones, Walker (Duncan Edwards reincarnations of machismo)

Captain Kane, manly handshake and stiff upper lip (Daniel Craig will play the part in the film)

General Sir Gareth Southgate, exudes integrity and courtesy

WAGS, comely homemakers every one of them

Bring on those turnips, by jove!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Amazing to think that one of Croatia, Russia, Sweden or England will be in the final.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Amazing to think that one of Croatia, Russia, Sweden or England will be in the final.
    That's just it , They will all fancy there chances of making it

rodders999 wrote: »
    They're pretty limited in their play but when you're on the piss poor side of the draw it doesn't really matter I suppose.

In the ultimate act of retribution for 50 years of hurt I think they'll go on to win the WC by only scoring penalties, whether in 90 mins or in shoot outs.
    We're not the prettiest side to watch, that's fairly obvious. We're lacking flair in midfield, a cute hoor to unlock a packed defence with a killer pass. Hence the reliance on set pieces. That lack of flair is why we won't win thing. We may scramble past Sweden, but that'll be it. And the Sweden game is no formality. They've only lost one game so far, I think (the late Kroos goal, was it?) and they've kept three clean sheets in their 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I'm liking the tactic deployed by England of winning penalties when a corner is being taken. 3 in 1 tournament is highly unprecedented.

rodders999 wrote: »

We're not the prettiest side to watch, that's fairly obvious. We're lacking flair in midfield, a cute hoor to unlock a packed defence with a killer pass. Hence the reliance on set pieces. That lack of flair is why we won't win thing. We may scramble past Sweden, but that'll be it. And the Sweden game is no formality. They've only lost one game so far, I think (the late Kroos goal, was it?) and they've kept three clean sheets in their 4 games.
    There CB is suspended for the England game

evil_seed wrote: »
    I'm liking the tactic deployed by England of winning penalties when a corner is being taken. 3 in 1 tournament is highly unprecedented.
    I think your right, I think they have coped penos are being giving for any holding , Its seems at corners instead of trying to win headers there running into opposition hoping to be held ,

Just me or did Kane actually hold the Columbian player first last night ? I thought VAR mite pick up on it ,

Just me or did Kane actually hold the Columbian player first last night ? I thought VAR mite pick up on it ,

He definitely played for it but there would be no way of proving it. He'd swear on his kids life he was fouled and that would be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

evil_seed wrote: »

I discussed this before. Corners were an area where England have struggled in the past.

Southgate studied sports like NFL (spent time with Seahawks discussing it) and NBA on how players manoeuvre around blockers to incorporate a style of it into his tactics. It's drawing defenders to foul them.

Also have a set-piece coach who worked in America that studies oppositions to develop the gameplan against them. In one of the goals they got you could see the NBA style screen coming into action.

Gary Neville laughed at the idea of this research but it has been proving very important to their side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I discussed this before. Corners were an area where England have struggled in the past.

Southgate studied sports like NFL (spent time with Seahawks discussing it) and NBA on how players manoeuvre around blockers to incorporate a style of it into his tactics. It's drawing defenders to foul them.

Also have a set-piece coach who worked in America that studies oppositions to develop the gameplan against them. In one of the goals they got you could see the NBA style screen coming into action.

Gary Neville laughed at the idea of this research but it has been proving very important to their side.

Where did you get this from? Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Hitchens wrote: »
    Gripping match, the time just flew by watching it.

Rorkes Drift all over again.

Corporals McGuire, Stones, Walker (Duncan Edwards reincarnations of machismo)

Captain Kane, manly handshake and stiff upper lip (Daniel Craig will play the part in the film)

General Sir Gareth Southgate, exudes integrity and courtesy

WAGS, comely homemakers every one of them

Bring on those turnips, by jove!

dafuq-are-you-9oqy8y.jpg

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Where did you get this from? Interesting.

Heard about it a while back that he was studying if any of the aspects of NFL and American sports could be applied to football. Here is an article about it when he attended the Super Bowl in February.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11236211/gareth-southgate-looks-to-nfl-for-england-inspiration-ahead-of-super-bowl-lii

More recent the BBC delved into it. Citing Spain and Germany as examples of his research also.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44616567

And Guardian have an article about Alan Russell who is the man who has been working the most on their set-piece preparation.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/25/england-set-pieces-world-cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Heard about it a while back that he was studying if any of the aspects of NFL and American sports could be applied to football. Here is an article about it when he attended the Super Bowl in February.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11236211/gareth-southgate-looks-to-nfl-for-england-inspiration-ahead-of-super-bowl-lii

At least Southgate's putting the time and effort in – earning his wage. Beats the ‘just show up and tell the lads to hoof the ball into orbit’ approach which certain other managers employ as “tactics”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

fyfe79 wrote: »
    At least Southgate's putting the time and effort in – earning his wage. Beats the ‘just show up and tell the lads to hoof the ball into orbit’ approach which certain other managers employ as “tactics”

You wouldn’t be suggesting Samuel of the Large variety!?

Seriously though, if Large Samuel was still in charge he’d have brought the likes of Rooney and played a dire long ball game, as you say. Southgate to be fair is looking like a decent appointment when many, including myself at the time, felt it was an uninspired choice. Comes across as a likeable fella as well tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

astradave wrote: »
    That is a brilliant piece of goalkeeping, a huge step forward to close down the angles while staying within the law.

Is it the rule that having a foot on (or even behind) the line means you are not leaving your line?

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    astradave wrote: »

Is it the rule that having a foot on (or even behind) the line means you are not leaving your line?
    Yes if you have one foot on or behind the line when the ball is kicked its fair game ,

Yes if you have one foot on or behind the line when the ball is kicked its fair game ,
    Yep, that's my understanding of the law as well. The keeper has to have some part of his body in contact with the goal line. Or, in Pickford's case last night, actually behind the line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Southgate was at the Superbowl this year too ,he made an appearance on BBC during the halftime break for a chat and was saying he had been learning alot over there that he could use for the soccer team .
    I must admit I thought it seemed a bit weird at the time ,he seemed a bit like a kid gasping and ooing about the NFL setups .

Seemingly every player on a team over there has his own individual coach .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

WORLDCU%201331.jpg

Pickford, Walker, Vardy

Hitchens wrote: »
    WORLDCU%201331.jpg

Pickford, Walker, Vardy
    Wow. They don't look the same when they're not on the pitch, do they?

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement