Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Would have to be over the moon if your England,
    If that was Ireland going into to a quarter final of a world cup against Sweden you'd be chuffed with the draw .
    Man for Man England are better.
    England will make the final and lose for me .
    Yup, they're not wrong about getting excited about the prospects of a WC final. And anyone saying they wouldn't be feeling the same here if Ireland were playing Sweden in a few days, followed by one of Russia/Croatia (e.g. that we would have a very good chance of making it), is talking out of their hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Southgate was at the Superbowl this year too ,he made an appearance on BBC during the halftime break for a chat and was saying he had been learning alot over there that he could use for the soccer team .
    I must admit I thought it seemed a bit weird at the time ,he seemed a bit like a kid gasping and ooing about the NFL setups .

Seemingly every player on a team over there has his own individual coach .

Yeah, in the NFL and most American Sports it's very methodical and involves driving home structured plays for players through repetition. Knowing what you're doing and executing it to perfection is a key thing. Football is a very free-movement sport that flows differently but I think Southgate is using the aspects of American sports in the stop-start areas of football very cleverly.

Apparently has also being putting a lot of attention towards mental preparation too.

I think that keeps with Southgate's style. For all the doubt about him when he took charge he seems to be one of the most organised managers they've had for a long while in terms of his preparation. Devoting a lot of time to it which is exactly how it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Southgate has clearly done a good job preparing for this World Cup but he is not a good decision maker on the sideline.
    It was a huge mistake last night to replace Alli with Dier. England were on top at the time so changing the formation was a mistake and they paid for it.
    I think when the pressure comes on in a tight game he will make mistakes as regards substitutions which will cost England big.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

eagle eye wrote: »
    Southgate has clearly done a good job preparing for this World Cup but he is not a good decision maker on the sideline.
    It was a huge mistake last night to replace Alli with Dier. England were on top at the time so changing the formation was a mistake and they paid for it.
    I think when the pressure comes on in a tight game he will make mistakes as regards substitutions which will cost England big.

Alli was not effective in the game at all, and not great in a central midfield role.
    Looked like he was carrying an injury throughout as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Cake Man wrote: »
    You wouldn’t be suggesting Samuel of the Large variety!?

Seriously though, if Large Samuel was still in charge he’d have brought the likes of Rooney and played a dire long ball game, as you say. Southgate to be fair is looking like a decent appointment when many, including myself at the time, felt it was an uninspired choice. Comes across as a likeable fella as well tbf.

I’d have thought he’s more thinking Martin of the O’Neill variety and Roy of the c**t variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

With Dier in the centre, England were weak. The worst pressure they faced was during that spell and it eased when he moved to RB and Henderson was back in the centre.

Similarly, Vardy seemed a bit odd when on the pitch. It appears he was carrying an injury (apparently anyway) but they seemed caught between sending the ball long to him and trying to play keep ball.

You may be right about the pressure. It'll be interesting.

Sweden is gonna be a tough game I think. Nobody finds it easy to beat Sweden - even Germany only managed to do so by a single goal with some magic - and the Swedes have now qualified ahead of the Netherlands (group), Italy (play off), Germany (WC group) and Switzerland, all of whom had at least a good shout of qualifying ahead of Sweden. They don't concede many and they don't make many errors and given England's reliance on set pieces so far, they could find it tricky.

Either that or I'm just trying to convince myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

For me it made sense. Henderson and Dier should work as a pivot to see out a game. But I don't know how quickly he'll do it again tbh.

That said, I think Dier should be playing in the back 3 instead of Walker. I can see what they are going for with Walker, Southgate is very clearly influenced by Conte, and having Steve Holland in the backroom staff probably assists this, but Walker is no Azpiliceuta. He seems to have a brainfart that leads to a good opportunity at least once per game.

Dier has shown at Spurs he can play as an effective part of the back 3, and he showed it again last night when Walker went off. The game actually changed after that and England began to assert themselves again.

I really enjoy watching Sweden play. I think if they had just a tad bit more quality up front, they would go very far in the tournament.

For me, they are probably amongst the teams who are most comfortable in their system. Seems like they have played that way for ages. Compared to the likes of the Argies, who didn't know what way to play even during the tournament, or England who decided on 352 a few friendlies beforehand. Sweden show the benefits of a team unit, where everyone knows what they are doing can overcome pretty big talent deficits.

It's gonna be a really tight game, probably decided by a set piece again...(or a counter attack from Sweden).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I’d have thought he’s more thinking Martin of the O’Neill variety and Roy of the c**t variety.
    I know he's a hero to many on here, so I shouldn't. But that made me laugh. You obviously hold him in the same high regard that I do!
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm all for given England and Southgate credit but we all must remember there side of the draw is a joke ,
    They beat two pubs side and won on penos against a very poor Columbia side,
    Would we be surprised if Ireland beat Tunisia , Panama lost to Belgium and beat Columbia on penso's ????
    We'd be delighted but not to surprised
    Before the tournament we wouldn't have expect any team left there to be in the Semi final

• Advertisement

English fans were basically told if you go to Russia it's gonna be war.. so that terrified the majority. We have seen zero incidents of English fans taking over squares and abusing other fans ,and vice versa,no riots...

I've been very surprised by the lack.of incidents of hooliganism tbh. Given it's in Russia and it's racism in football.

My guess is a zero tolerance warning to Russians hooligans pre World Cup.

Or maybe some just disappeared!

Lukker- wrote: »
    For me it made sense. Henderson and Dier should work as a pivot to see out a game. But I don't know how quickly he'll do it again tbh.

That said, I think Dier should be playing in the back 3 instead of Walker. I can see what they are going for with Walker, Southgate is very clearly influenced by Conte, and having Steve Holland in the backroom staff probably assists this, but Walker is no Azpiliceuta. He seems to have a brainfart that leads to a good opportunity at least once per game.

Dier has shown at Spurs he can play as an effective part of the back 3, and he showed it again last night when Walker went off. The game actually changed after that and England began to assert themselves again.

Agree on paper it makes sense but Dier has been going through a rough patch with his English performances. Maybe the penalty will egg him on but the shift had hampered their ability to hold onto possession and create chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I discussed this before. Corners were an area where England have struggled in the past.

Southgate studied sports like NFL (spent time with Seahawks discussing it) and NBA on how players manoeuvre around blockers to incorporate a style of it into his tactics. It's drawing defenders to foul them.

Also have a set-piece coach who worked in America that studies oppositions to develop the gameplan against them. In one of the goals they got you could see the NBA style screen coming into action.

Gary Neville laughed at the idea of this research but it has been proving very important to their side.

I remember him talking a bit about it at the Superbowl, thought it was a great idea and very progressive/forward thinking of him. He has been drilling pick plays for sure judging by England's corner work

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Boom_Bap wrote:
    Alli was not effective in the game at all, and not great in a central midfield role. Looked like he was carrying an injury throughout as well.

And the replacement should have been a similar player like Rashford or maybe RLC if you wanted a midfielder but not Dier who is a DM. That just looked like an attempt to batten down the hatches and hold on. Colombia were invited on and had their chances to win the game in the last thirty minutes of normal time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Boom_Bap wrote:
    Alli was not effective in the game at all, and not great in a central midfield role. Looked like he was carrying an injury throughout as well.

And the replacement should have been a similar player like Rashford or maybe RLC if you wanted a midfielder but not Dier who is a DM. That just looked like an attempt to batten down the hatches and hold on. Colombia were invited on and had their chances to win the game in the last thirty minutes of normal time.
    I know he wasn't fit but they really good do with a Lallana type player,
    Seems Ali isn't fit and Lingurrd is very hit and miss they need someone with a bit of craft to create chances, Rashford and Sterling would also benefit from someone opening space ,
    I think the fact Kane has 6 goals is hiding the fact that England are creating nothing from play ,
    3 peno's,1 deflection, 2 shots from a couple of yards from corner's , I know they all count but it shows there living off scraps but thankfully for them that's all Kane needs,

I remember him talking a bit about it at the Superbowl, thought it was a great idea and very progressive/forward thinking of him. He has been drilling pick plays for sure judging by England's corner work

Exactly. It's really interesting. Wonder if MON and the boys will follow suit ;)

I noticed one key thing the English players have been citing about the difference in this tournament is their preparation. A few have used similar phrases in saying it's very clear what they are expected to do in each circumstance.

Regarding penalties, didn't he also bring in someone to help with mental preparation of a shoot-out? Citing about routines and habits. Could see it notably with Pickford. Jumped and hit the crossbar 2 times I think before each penalty, and was focusing a lot on his breathing.

I really think Southgate is building a good platform for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

England fans are full of praise for Kieran Trippier after the Spurs defender took full blame for Colombia's equaliser at full-time.

The Three Lions were leading the World Cup last-16 clash 1-0 until Yerry Mina scored a disastrous 93rd minute header from a corner.

The Barcelona defender aimed his effort at the ground, causing it to bounce over Trippier on the line who failed to head the ball clear.

England, however, held on in extra-time and won the clash on penalties.

At full-time Trippier said: "I thought we played really well in the first half and for their goal, it was a mistake by myself. I thought he was going to head it straight in, but I could not adjust when he headed it down, I was gutted."

Fair dues to the man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

On twitter at least, it seems if you criticise sterling you are racist, but he has been anonymous so far. Would definitely leave him out next game. I'd love to see his shots to goals ratio and successful crosses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Hitchens wrote: »
    England fans are full of praise for Kieran Trippier after the Spurs defender took full blame for Colombia's equaliser at full-time.

The Three Lions were leading the World Cup last-16 clash 1-0 until Yerry Mina scored a disastrous 93rd minute header from a corner.

The Barcelona defender aimed his effort at the ground, causing it to bounce over Trippier on the line who failed to head the ball clear.

England, however, held on in extra-time and won the clash on penalties.

At full-time Trippier said: "I thought we played really well in the first half and for their goal, it was a mistake by myself. I thought he was going to head it straight in, but I could not adjust when he headed it down, I was gutted."

Fair dues to the man

England's best player in every game so far. Hope he doesn't dwell on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

England's best player in every game so far. Hope he doesn't dwell on it

Have thought the same myself. Really felt for him with the goal last night but he clearly brushed it off when he buried his penalty. Delighted to see him get a proper chance as he hasn't managed to nail down his position with Spurs as yet despite Aurier being a complete liability imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Stolen shamelessly from Reddit
    Mm8majp.jpg

Dunno who they'll get to ref that Brazil match but it's gonna be some task for FIFA keeping that little **** from missing their potential semifinal.

Mildly surprised about Uruguay.
    Also, lol @ Croatia's predicament! :eek: Would nearly wanna be starting with a 2nd string team to be safe!

I think England would be in a bad spot without Henderson. He gets a lot of stick on here (mainly from United fans), but he's vital for the system, and Dier doesn't have the same energy levels as him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Do they bookings carry all the way to the final? It would be terrible for someone to miss a world cup final based on picking up a yellow card in the group stage and then in the semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Do they bookings carry all the way to the final? It would be terrible for someone to miss a world cup final based on picking up a yellow card in the group stage and then in the semi final.

I had vaguely thought they were wiped after the group stage bu evidently not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

I had vaguely thought they were wiped after the group stage bu evidently not...

Wiped after quarter finals

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

So that graphic is wrong then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

So that graphic is wrong then?

Nope, as this is the quarters, so if they don’t pick up a card in this they get wiped

Didn't they time the yellow card amnesty they way they've done so that anyone who picks up a yellow in the semi final wouldn't miss the final due to carrying a card into the sf? The only way a player can miss the final is if he gets sent off in the sf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Berserker wrote: »
    Think you are going a little OTT there, if you don't mind me saying so. Our media may go OTT over it but is that really a nightmare?

n't.

For me it would be a nightmare football is as much about the team you want to win as well as the team you really don't want to win. As an Ireland Fan the team I'd enjoy beating the most would be england so for that reason england would be a team I'd hate to see win the world cup. In my head its a rivalry and I'd see england as our biggest rivals so I enjoy when they fail. I can remember being on holidays for France 98 when they lost on pens to Argentina in a bar full of English and having to pretend not to be happy. Getting off a flight on my honeymoon to the news they were knocked out in 2006 . The relief when they lost to pens in euro 96. I also have an English brother in law that I don't want to have to listen to for the next 30-40 years if the unthinkable happens. For me its a rivalry for lots of others they may shrug their shoulder and say it doesn't bother them and that's fine. For English people they may have no sense of a rivalry with Ireland so I get why it may be hard to understand. As I said to blueser I'm not trying to offend or wind up but that's the way I'd feel about it.

Berserker wrote: »
    Think you are going a little OTT there, if you don't mind me saying so. Our media may go OTT over it but is that really a nightmare?

n't.

For me it would be a nightmare football is as much about the team you want to win as well as the team you really don't want to win. As an Ireland Fan the team I'd enjoy beating the most would be england so for that reason england would be a team I'd hate to see win the world cup. In my head its a rivalry and I'd see england as our biggest rivals so I enjoy when they fail. I can remember being on holidays for France 98 when they lost on pens to Argentina in a bar full of English and having to pretend not to be happy. Getting off a flight on my honeymoon to the news they were knocked out in 2006 . The relief when they lost to pens in euro 96. I also have an English brother in law that I don't want to have to listen to for the next 30-40 years if the unthinkable happens. For me its a rivalry for lots of others they may shrug their shoulder and say it doesn't bother them and that's fine. For English people they may have no sense of a rivalry with Ireland so I get why it may be hard to understand. As I said to blueser I'm not trying to offend or wind up but that's the way I'd feel about it.

• Advertisement

Wow; such bitterness. Did some guy from Essex run over your cat or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

LAST night, the England team did the unthinkable; they progressed through to the next round of the competition by beating a team in a penalty shoot-out. As such, we have moved the England World Cup Doomsday Clock forward by five minutes to 11:55PM, the closest it has been in decades to 12 midnight, and total England World Cup victory.

Although the chances of England winning the World Cup remains a distant and improbable threat, it would be foolish to not prepare for such an unthinkable scenario. As recent events have shown, this current England squad do not care for people who just want to see them crash out in the knockout stages so that we can all have something to laugh at. Unrest continues to grow in many countries as to what would happen if football does indeed come home, and as such, we have compiled a survival guide for those caught up in the horror of an English World Cup victory:

1) Do not look at the flash

Should Southgate’s men break through the defences put in place to stop them and actually achieve World Cup glory, you will see a bright flash followed by a deafening roar. The flash is caused by millions of English people throwing their arms up in the air at once, causing their jerseys to lift over their white pot bellies, simultaneously reflecting the sunlight and blinding anyone within 5,000 miles. Do not look directly into the flash. Shield your eyes, and hold your nose to avoid being overcome by the ensuing stench of body odour, Lynx Africa, and spilled Carling.

2) Stop, drop, anguish

After England win the World Cup, stop, drop, and wail in anguish. Continue rocking over and back on the ground for as long as you want. The safest place to be in under a table, or under a sturdy door jamb. Keep repeating ‘**** sake, they’ll be ****ing impossible now’ over and over again.

3) Identify England sympathisers

Pro-England sentiment in your country may be stronger than you think. Listen out for traitors who say ‘ah it’s nice for them all the same’ or ‘I’m happy for Southgate’… these people may simply be trying to survive by cosying up to the English by any means necessary, or they may actually be glad that England has won. Either way, they need a kick in the bollocks.

4) Prepare yourself for a World Cup winter.

The resulting fallout of an England World Cup victory will last a minimum of four years, where there is a chance of beating them at the next tournament. This time will be arduous, and like, super annoying. Scientists believe that the smugness from an England World Cup victory may actually cause crops to die in the ground, the sky to darken and the sun to be blotted out. Should England win, there is nothing we can do to prevent this. All we can do is pray it never happens.

5) Oh yeah, take your iodine tablets

They can’t hurt.

(From waterfordwhispers)😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

A perfectly reasonable point of view. Hope they get smashed myself. I wouldn't worry about the self-righteous "matured as a nation" brigade, "progressive" sheep who believe they are more enlightened than the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

blueser wrote: »

Banged his sister, you choose which is worse

Banged his sister, you choose which is worse
    What about "banged his cat"?

How would you react if man utd won the treble again.

I don't think England will win this World Cup but I do think they are the standout for the next one, if the heat doesn't prevent it.

This team is four years time will have the following players with their ages then,

Pickford 28
    Stones 28
    Trippier 31
    Maguire 29
    Alexander-Arnold 23
    Walker 32

Dier 28
    Lingard 29
    Henderson 32
    Loftus-Cheek 26
    Alli 26

Kane 28
    Sterling 27
    Rashford 24

That team to me with the experience they already have and the maturity that will be there in four years seems like a potential World Cup winning team. The likes of Ryan Sessegnon, Johnjoe Kenny, Kyle Walker-Peters, Lewis Cook, Tuanzebe, Winks, Ojo, Nketah, Tom Davies and Tammy Abraham may have broken thought by them. There are a lot that I haven't mentioned there, they have a host of excellent youths to add in there. Could be a very strong squad with experience.

Henderson 32

How would you react if man utd won the treble again.
    If I had a cat, I'd kick it.

JOKING, all you animal lovers.

There's no point lying; I wouldn't be doing cartwheels of joy about it. But a "nightmare". Sorry; no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

From an entertainment perspective, what is the best way the rest of the tournament could go for us neutrals? As much as I would love to see England lose, I think the tournament will be better if they beat Sweden. England are probably the strongest team on that side of the draw and we don't want to see a one sided final with someone like Russia or Sweden involved. I would also like to see Croatia beat Russia as I think Russia would be more inclined to sit back in the semis or final if they got that far. On the other side of the draw it arguably doesn't matter as much as any team could potentially win it. I would like to see Brazil beat Belgium which I have a feeling will be a cracker of a game, if they met Uruguay in the semis I fear it could get too scrappy and too many theatrics so for that reason I would like it to be a France v Brazil semi. Of all possible finals, an England v Brazil finally would surely be the most entertaining IMO.

we don't want to see a one sided final with someone like Russia or Sweden involved.

Or worse have one of those teams park the bus and sneak a victory in a penalty shootout...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

From an entertainment perspective, what is the best way the rest of the tournament could go for us neutrals? As much as I would love to see England lose, I think the tournament will be better if they beat Sweden. England are probably the strongest team on that side of the draw and we don't want to see a one sided final with someone like Russia or Sweden involved. I would also like to see Croatia beat Russia as I think Russia would be more inclined to sit back in the semis or final if they got that far. On the other side of the draw it arguably doesn't matter as much as any team could potentially win it. I would like to see Brazil beat Belgium which I have a feeling will be a cracker of a game, if they met Uruguay in the semis I fear it could get too scrappy and too many theatrics so for that reason I would like it to be a France v Brazil semi. Of all possible finals, an England v Brazil finally would surely be the most entertaining IMO.

People losing the run of themselves, the strongest team on that side of the draw is Croatia. Everyone has forgotten about them or written them off because of the awful game against Denmark but that's the way Denmark play, they bring you down to their level. A side with rakitic, Modric, brozovic, kovacic, perisic and the surprise package rebic is still to be feared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I think from an 'entertaining final' point of view, Croatia vs Brazil is our best bet. Though if Belgium or France get there (instead of Brazil) it wouldn't be too bad either.

I'd rather England in the final as opposed to Sweden or Russia, but I think Croatia would have more creativity than them in the final. And as much as I like Uruguay I've a feeling they'd be a little filthy in the final, especially if the pressure starts getting to them.

Croatia vs Uruguay.... would that be the 'smallest' WC final of all time, in terms of population?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

If I had a cat, I'd kick it.

JOKING, all you animal lovers.

There's no point lying; I wouldn't be doing cartwheels of joy about it. But a "nightmare". Sorry; no.

One of my mates confessed to having nightmares about Liverpool and James Milner specifically lifting the Champions League last year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The lack of respect for Russia throughout the tournament is stunning to me. They played in a European Championship semi final ten years ago; are perennial qualifiers through the UEFA process; are hosts in a sports mad and ultra nationalistic country. The idea that they’ll be partying after beating Spain and in their flip flops the rest of the tournament is mad. They’ll be thinking best Croatia to win the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The lack of respect for Russia throughout the tournament is stunning to me. They played in a European Championship semi final ten years ago; are perennial qualifiers through the UEFA process; are hosts in a sports mad and ultra nationalistic country. The idea that they’ll be partying after beating Spain and in their flip flops the rest of the tournament is mad. They’ll be thinking best Croatia to win the tournament.

What???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

10 years ago a semi final? I think Spain and Germany are proof that 2-4 years is even a long time in international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

I don't think England will win this World Cup but I do think they are the standout for the next one, if the heat doesn't prevent it.

This team is four years time will have the following players with their ages then,

Pickford 28
    Stones 28
    Trippier 31
    Maguire 29
    Alexander-Arnold 23
    Walker 32

Dier 28
    Lingard 29
    Henderson 32
    Loftus-Cheek 26
    Alli 26

Kane 28
    Sterling 27
    Rashford 24

That team to me with the experience they already have and the maturity that will be there in four years seems like a potential World Cup winning team. The likes of Ryan Sessegnon, Johnjoe Kenny, Kyle Walker-Peters, Lewis Cook, Tuanzebe, Winks, Ojo, Nketah, Tom Davies and Tammy Abraham may have broken thought by them. There are a lot that I haven't mentioned there, they have a host of excellent youths to add in there. Could be a very strong squad with experience.

Henderson 32

That team will still scream of average. England will be on the plane home this weekend. They've not even been impressive at all in this world cup and there gonna come up against a well organised Sweden team and Southgates tactically naivety will cost them.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    That team will still scream of average. England will be on the plane home this weekend. They've not even been impressive at all in this world cup and there gonna come up against a well organised Sweden team and Southgates tactically naivety will cost them.

Honestly it's comments like this which make me hope they do well.

Maybe I'm just a prick but I think I would enjoy the absolute meltdown from the people who are desperate for them to fail, if they were to actually have an impressive and successful tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Pickford 28
    Stones 28
    Trippier 31
    Maguire 29
    Alexander-Arnold 23
    Walker 32

Dier 28
    Lingard 29
    Henderson 32
    Loftus-Cheek 26
    Alli 26

Kane 28
    Sterling 27
    Rashford 24

Henderson 32

There are only 5 surviving members from the 2014 World Cup in the 2018 squad (Wellbeck, Cahill, Jones, Henderson and Sterling)

The list of those surviving from the 2018 will probably be slightly longer in 2022 I suspect, but I bet you'll find the majority of those won't be in the 2022 squad at all

They had young big hopes in 2014 too (Hart, Barkley, Shaw, Smalling, Wilshire and Sturridge) who were supposed to be making up the nucleus of the 2018 squad and proving big hope for this world cup. Hasn't happened now, probably won't happen next time either. Just instead, some of the likes of Demarai Gray, Tammy Abraham, Joe Gomez, Ademola Lookman, Dominic Calvert-Lewin, and the Sessegnon brothers at Fulham along with some we haven't even heard of yet will form a list of great hopes forming the nucleus of the 2026 squad and the cycle continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Honestly it's comments like this which make me hope they do well.

Maybe I'm just a prick but I think I would enjoy the absolute meltdown from the people who are desperate for them to fail, if they were to actually have an impressive and successful tournament.

People are allowed to comment on the standard of the team and predict defeat for them without being desperate for them to fail you know!

Also England have already had a successful tournament based upon their expectations before this tournament began. But the goalposts have moved due to the eliminations of Germany and Spain

Advertisement