Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Eh they were in a group with Tunisia and Panamá, then they played a Colombia side without their star man so I don't buy the supposed to be already home stuff. However I agree with you that they have an "easier"route to the final than other teams.

Well before the Colombia game, many people were showing they have no hope against Colombia.
    People written off England are just a bit thick,
    Sweden and the winner of Croatia and Russia , your off your rocker if you think England can't beat these, they have a huge chance , Its not that England are amazing its that the others are worse,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I wouldn't say Croatia are "worse than England " Quite the opposite. I think they could find a way to get past them though if they can recover from that game. The last 20 minutes and Extra time they geadually struggled stamina wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

When did you place the bet? Odds currently are @4.5, @3.5, @4.5 and @3.75 on PP. 5er returns 1328. I can't imagine line movement will have been too drastic either but a bit of a sick move to catch for you if prices have steamed in that much. Paddy's odds are woeful in general. Same 5er will return 1684 with Bet365. Marathon seem to be the best with a return of 1740 although they don't accept Irish business.

Maybe my calculations are well off, did it yesterday is all, got Russia and either Belgium or Sweeden at 7/2 as far as I can remember I'll check when I get home

I wouldn't say Croatia are "worse than England " Quite the opposite.  I think they could find a way to get past them though if they can recover from that game. The last 20 minutes and Extra time they geadually struggled stamina wise
    Croatia are they most over hyped team I nthe tournament because they beat Argentina 3-0 , and Argentina where awful .
    Other than that they have been totally average, They also finished second in qualifying behind Iceland, and are miles behind England in the world ranking,
    England have a huge advantage on Croatia and its a chap called Harry Kane,  International football is pretty poor if you have someone who gets goals you can go a long long way ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Praying this crazy world cup gets a lil crazier.

I keep seeing this and I'm a bit baffled. I don't see anything unusually crazy about this world sup compared to others

The Germany 2006 word cup is the only one that it can be said was devoid of many shocks. Going all the way back to Italia '90....

Italia 90
    Defending champions Argentina scraped thru as one of the best 3rd placed teams - Would have been out if it were this world cup. Same for Holland (by virtue of a draw of lots with Ireland). The other Euro 2008 finalists (Russia) eliminated in round 1

Last 16: Yugoslavia beat Spain, Cameroon beat Colombia

USA 94

Eliminated in the first round: Colombia (supposed to be a dark horse to win it outright),

Again Argentina & Italy scraped thru as one of the best 3rd placed teams. Would have been out of this world cup

Last 16 shocks: Romania beating Argentina
    QF Shok: Bulgaria beat Germany (defending champions) - Sweden got to the semi-final also

France 98
    Out in the first round: Spain, Colombia
    Croatia hammered Germany in the quarter finals
    France hammering Brazil in the final was a shock result at that time

Japan / S. Korea 2002
    First round eliminatins for France (defending champions), Uruguay, Portugal, Argentina,
    last 16: USA beat Mexico, South Korea beat Italy,
    Quarter Finals: South Korea knock Spain out on pens - Turkey also in the semi-final

South Africa 2010

Defending champions (Italy) went home in round 1 along with France. Holland beat Brazil

Brazil 2014:
    Defending champions again went home in round 1 (Spain) along with both Italy and England from the same group, Portugal also eliminated in round 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ricardo Gareca has pretty much said he is interested in the Argentina job. He has the option right now to leavethe Peru job or stay on. He has said he is going to take a little time to consider his position and stated that as of now he is 'free coach'.
    I'd love to see him get the job. I have been saying this first five years now and spoke about it before the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I keep seeing this and I'm a bit baffled. I don't see anything unusually crazy about this world sup compared to others

The Germany 2006 word cup is the only one that it can be said was devoid of many shocks. Going all the way back to Italia '90....

Italia 90
    Defending champions Argentina scraped thru as one of the best 3rd placed teams - Would have been out if it were this world cup. Same for Holland (by virtue of a draw of lots with Ireland). The other Euro 2008 finalists (Russia) eliminated in round 1

Last 16: Yugoslavia beat Spain, Cameroon beat Colombia

USA 94

Eliminated in the first round: Colombia (supposed to be a dark horse to win it outright),

Again Argentina & Italy scraped thru as one of the best 3rd placed teams. Would have been out of this world cup

Last 16 shocks: Romania beating Argentina
    QF Shok: Bulgaria beat Germany (defending champions) - Sweden got to the semi-final also

France 98
    Out in the first round: Spain, Colombia
    Croatia hammered Germany in the quarter finals
    France hammering Brazil in the final was a shock result at that time

Japan / S. Korea 2002
    First round eliminatins for France (defending champions), Uruguay, Portugal, Argentina,
    last 16: USA beat Mexico, South Korea beat Italy,
    Quarter Finals: South Korea knock Spain out on pens - Turkey also in the semi-final

South Africa 2010

Defending champions (Italy) went home in round 1 along with France. Holland beat Brazil

Brazil 2014:
    Defending champions again went home in round 1 (Spain) along with both Italy and England from the same group, Portugal also eliminated in round 1.

It's a world cup semi final without Italy, Spain Netherlands ,Germany , Argentina and one of Brazil or France.

One of Sweeden Russia Croatia or England will be in the final.

It's crazy world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

From the DM
    But Stones is adamant his team are staying within the rules. He said: 'I say it's clever. I think it is about having a great footballing brain and knowing when to do that without being called a cheat or diver.

'Being clever and buying a smart foul is something that we've got as a team and it can help us through the tournament.'

I think if the shoe ends up on the other foot it will be called something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Croatia are they most over hyped team I nthe tournament because they beat Argentina 3-0 , and Argentina where awful .
    Other than that they have been totally average, They also finished second in qualifying behind Iceland, and are miles behind England in the world ranking,
    England have a huge advantage on Croatia and its a chap called Harry Kane,  International football is pretty poor if you have someone who gets goals you can go a long long way ,
    Croatia are unbeaten, have a midfield containing Modric, Rakitic and Perisic, all of whom would walk into the English side. An English side who lost to Iceland, the team you mention finishing ahead of Croatia in the qualifiers.
    England have only beaten Sweden once in their last 8 meetings.
    For World rankings #57 beat #1 in this tournament so that's a moot point.
    I'm seeeing Harry Maguire getting sent off and 1-0 Sweden, and England won't have to worry about Croatia.

• Advertisement

jacool wrote:
    Croatia are unbeaten, have a midfield containing Modric, Rakitic and Perisic, all of whom would walk into the English side. An English side who lost to Iceland, the team you mention finishing ahead of Croatia in the qualifiers. England have only beaten Sweden once in their last 8 meetings. For World rankings #57 beat #1 in this tournament so that's a moot point. I'm seeeing Harry Maguire getting sent off and 1-0 Sweden, and England won't have to worry about Croatia.

As he said Croatia are overrated by a lot of people and you are among them.
    Based on his performances in the World Cup you would have Peresic in most teams but prior to it he certainly wouldn't be getting into the English team.

Today's game is hard to call. France have a great panel but haven't looked that good to me to this point.
    Cavani is a huge loss for Uruguay.

This could be 0-0 for a long time.

Two best centre backs and beat full back in the World Cup to this point for me are in this game. Giminez and Godin for Uruguay and Hernandez for France. All of them from the same club too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Uruguay have been a smarter Colombia physically wise. They are a dirty team, but do it more sneakily, while also exaggerating tackles on themselves.

Two great free kicks. France score there's and Lloris makes a great save to deny Uruguay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

This french team aren't great, Cavani could make such a big difference here shame he won't be involved.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

eagle eye wrote: »
    jacool wrote:
    Croatia are unbeaten, have a midfield containing Modric, Rakitic and Perisic, all of whom would walk into the English side. An English side who lost to Iceland, the team you mention finishing ahead of Croatia in the qualifiers. England have only beaten Sweden once in their last 8 meetings. For World rankings #57 beat #1 in this tournament so that's a moot point. I'm seeeing Harry Maguire getting sent off and 1-0 Sweden, and England won't have to worry about Croatia.

As he said Croatia are overrated by a lot of people and you are among them.
    Based on his performances in the World Cup you would have Peresic in most teams but prior to it he certainly wouldn't be getting into the English team.
    Peresic isn't great at all, At 29 he is still at Inter he has 31 goals in the last 3 season and he should be in his prime .
    Sterling at 22 has 44 goals in the last 3
    Ali at 22 has 46 goals in the last 3
    How on earth is he a better player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Stuani having a mare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Goals aren't everything. He's a solid player, hard working and has a hand in a lot of attacks. Just because he's not as big a goalscorer as others doesn't mean he's useless.

Tolisso is worse than Neymar for acting injured.

These keepers be shocking yo

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Oh no Muslera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

That's a Packie Bonner world cup moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Why in god's name don't keeper's just catch the ball,why are they not being coached to catch it,it's happening to every keeper now,they party or punch balls they should be catching

Uruguay struggle when they might have to come out and play some football. France have been average enough but the first goal was always going to be big.

Suarez getting up in a heap about perceived playacting is absolutely hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How did Mbappe end up booked? Refs haven't a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The good news for Uruguay is that they can blame head injury and pretend they would have won the game:D

They didn't show a great replay but on first view it looks embarrassing from Mbappe.

Corholio wrote: »
    They didn't show a great replay but on first view it looks embarrassing from Mbappe.

Yeah that's what I thought first time around, not seen a replay but looked like he made a meal out of some accidental contact with yer man's arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

The good news for Uruguay is that they can blame head injury and pretend they would have won the game:D

good one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Ref in this game definitely fancies himself as a bit of a hard man.

• Advertisement

• RTE miserable over France winning again

Raging they are

• Now it's all Pogba fault
    Hah

I'd nearly want them to lift the World Cup to see what excuses are made by Dunphy and Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Corholio wrote: »
    Uruguay struggle when they might have to come out and play some football. France have been average enough but the first goal was always going to be big.

From what I saw in between bouts of sleepiness Uruguay were toothless & slow up top without Cavani l, bar the occaasional chance at a set piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

RTE miserable over France winning again

Raging they are

What did the French do on them? They were worth their victory today. Looked very good. Good bet for the overall WC in my opinion.

MD1990 wrote: »
    good one :rolleyes:

Thanks

France v Brazil semi would be spicy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

eagle eye wrote: »
    Tolisso is worse than Neymar for acting injured.
    NOBODY is worse than Neymar for playacting. I wonder, if he's watching a replay of himself on his own, with no one else in the room, is he embarrassed with the theatrics? I'd imagine he would maintain the charade if there were others in the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Did anyone else see the fella in the the Irish jersey in the middle of the Brazilians?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Berserker wrote: »
    What did the French do on them? They were worth their victory today. Looked very good. Good bet for the overall WC in my opinion.

Aul Thierry broke their hearts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fellaini trademark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

This is going to be a great game now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Now lets see what Brazil are made of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Who are people up for in this ?

Both not the most lovable teams.

But I think as European football fans we should be up for Belgium

They play great ball and great hope for smaller European nations.

How in gods name is Jesus starting he has been crap , Firmino is better at every part of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Belgium without a doubt. Neymar’s presence defaults me to cheer for the opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Nah. Really overrated team, and there is a single player in their team I think is likable. Even Neymar wouldn't stop me picking Brazil over them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Up for Belgium too....wee bet on 3-2 to both teams and 3-3..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

adox wrote: »
    Belgium without a doubt. Neymar’s presence defaults me to cheer for the opposition.

Yes you should typically love Brazil team - but just something about this bunch.

It could be the Neymar factor.

All about him - it sums up some of the more recent teams.

Funny enough Belgium have a bit of that in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

How in gods name is Jesus starting he has been crap , Firmino is better at every part of the game

He's done more in 30 minutes of cameos than Jesus has in 4 games.

I get the "if it ain't broke don't fix it approach", but I think they've been winning despite Jesus so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Brazil because I'd rather watch Brazil v France in the semi's

• Advertisement
Advertisement