Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2018 World Cup Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lads,

Martinez could be a world Cup winning manager soon...

• Johner wrote: »
    Fellaini my motm.

Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Neymar probably had his worse performance so far. In a way it's fitting if he doesn't win a world cup as he's not put the work in the last year. Unlike Ronaldo or Ronaldinho who did that stuff after they peaked at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

He was immense.

Did a bit of everything out there. Blocks, tackles, hold up play. Unreal from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Vicxas wrote: »
    Lads,

Martinez could be a world Cup winning manager soon...

Be hilarious wouldn't it, complete spoofer!

Fellaini was super, lukaku very good hazard was excellent in that second half at drawing fouls and killing time.

Super team they have

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Nay-mar.

Shed more tears in defeating Costa Rica than he done in exiting the competition tonight.

Suggests to me he can't handle the pressure.

Jesus this feckin maroon 5 decapitation again

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

France V Belgium has so much potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

No way Brazil are scoring again

How right you were:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jesus this feckin maroon 5 decapitation again

Who came up with that maroon 5 ****e. :mad:

Tite probably has to carry the can really, the insistence on Jesus when he hasn't actually played particularly well since about Christmas, paulinho is another poor reflection on him.

Very good if they keep it tight but an early goal against, like tonight and they really struggled to create until firminho and Douglas Costa came in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Slàn brasíl . Glad there gone

Nice dramatic edge to the senior now with Henry going against France too :)

raiders11 wrote: »
    How right you were:)

Ah I was half trying to put the jinx on it to get us some extra time action :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Belgium v France will be a really good game.
    btw I ended up drinking 6 shots thanks to Neymar on the ground :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Fantastic game. Fellaini was immense for Belgium, broke up everything. Hazard was absolutely unreal and did loads to relieve the pressure off his defence. I thought Kompany also had a great game. As for Brazil, Douglas Costa changed things when he came on, I don't know would I have started him though, is he better as an impact sub? I also thought that Miranda had a good game against Lukaku in the second half and that Coutinho was excellent, if only he had scored then when it was pulled back to him. Just a question, would Brazil have played better without starting neymar in this tournament? As he was clearly not match fit but I don't know.

The manner of the victory over Japan brought Belgium on a huge amount in preparation for tonights match. France will be tougher again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

In years to come people will still remember some goals from this world cup great stuff.
    The English seem to be trying thier best not to get excited.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I'm with didi

Neither penalties, first one Jesus can't get to that ball it's out of play and second one needs no explanation really

Brady says both penalties

Of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Johner wrote: »
    Fellaini my motm.

Courtois is actually the correct answer here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Brady says both penalties

Of course

It's time to put Dunphy and himself out to pasture after this WC. Plenty of eligible replacements out there for them. I'd sideline Eamonn's apprentice Richie and Kevin Doyle also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Jermaine Jenas comparing Sweden to Burnley, fcuking hell. I’m really trying to get behind the English team because I like Southgate as a manager and they have two players from the club I support, but the likes of this makes it so tough to support them. The sheer arrogance of it is disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ball is in play when he is fouled so it's a definitely penalty.

Courtois my MoM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

martyos121 wrote: »
    Jermaine Jenas comparing Sweden to Burnley, fcuking hell. I’m really trying to get behind the English team because I like Southgate as a manager and they have two players from the club I support, but the likes of this makes it so tough to support them. The sheer arrogance of it is disgusting.

An excellent team that finished 7th in possibly the most competitive league in world football?

To be honest, there aren't any teams at this world cup fit to shine Burnley's assembled collection of boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Berserker wrote: »
    It's time to put Dunphy and himself out to pasture after this WC. Plenty of eligible replacements out there for them. I'd sideline Eamonn's apprentice Richie and Kevin Doyle also.

I can't disagree with any of this.
    The auld fellas are well past it at this stage it is getting sad.
    For all his image consciousness and attempts to be 'thought provoking' he never really says anything you take note of.
    Kevin Doyle always seems uneasy not good on telly.
    Kieth Andrews is the best of the new bunch. He has surprised me insightful he is.

Andrews the new 'Senior Analyst' for the next 30 years? :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Who would you compare England to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

When Neymar loses, the World Cup wins

Ohmeha wrote:

Unfortunately both Neymar and Hazard couldn't both lose tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Can you Please explain to me how the idiotic ramblings of a pundit turns you against the team. I'm pretty sure the players and management in the squad didn't ask Jenas to come out with that BS. Most sensible England fans wouldn't be of that opinion. We all remember Iceland a couple of years back. Tomorrow is not a gimme for us, not by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Who would you compare England to?

Hopefully Mayo:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Semi finals. I can't really believe it. Last time we ever got this far was in 1986.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Ball is in play when he is fouled so it's a definitely penalty.

Courtois my MoM.

Don't think so, pretty sure Jesus has already knocked it out if play before there was a tackle made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Don't think so, pretty sure Jesus has already knocked it out if play before there was a tackle made

Nope.

BBC slowed it right down after the game.

Image attached is when Kompany makes contact.

Ball clearly in play.

Replay is in this clip
    https://streamable.com/cuey2

Incorrect, seen it stopped and the ball is well in play.

One for the end of tournament montages!

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1007994024970551298

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

blueser wrote: »
    Can you Please explain to me how the idiotic ramblings of a pundit turns you against the team. I'm pretty sure the players and management in the squad didn't ask Jenas to come out with that BS. Most sensible England fans wouldn't be of that opinion. We all remember Iceland a couple of years back. Tomorrow is not a gimme for us, not by a long shot.

Well first of all, I’m not actually English, just hopeful they do well. Secondly, those comments are reminiscent of previous World Cups when the media downplay England’s opponents and heap the pressure on their own team, as a neutral wanting them to do well, that sort of thing makes it harder. They haven’t earned the right to be that confident yet, and certainly haven’t earned the right to be so condescending towards Sweden, who topped their group and looked solid doing it. Thirdly, what’s the craic with the blue? :p

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Nope.

BBC slowed it right down after the game.

Image attached is when Kompany makes contact.

Ball clearly in play.

Replay is in this clip
    https://streamable.com/cuey2

Having seen it again, and again and again I am now even more sure it's never a penalty. He has knocked the ball too far and isn't getting to it.

Thanks for the link, the ball was indeed still in play when contact was made, I stand corrected but even firmer in my assertion it was no penalty :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Coming at this as a Belgian....

Jesus v kompany... I think pen

The Neymar instances... Not even close...

What i want to know is how was neymar even available for this game, card for simulation is thing nowadays... He should have been booked at least once in every game he played in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can somebody educate me as to why it matters if the ball was "technically" still in play?

It might not have fully crossed the line but that ball was gone, he was never getting it no matter what Kompany did.

Is it relevant to the rules that the ball is in play or not, surely it would be more important that the attacker have some sort of control instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Yes indeed. Goodbye to that despicable little b*llox.

And the best part is that he's been found out. He's completely annihilated any chance he has of being remembered as one of the all time greats in this tournament.

Delighted for the horrible b*stard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Croatia are gonna win this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Can somebody educate me as to why it matters if the ball was "technically" still in play?

It might not have fully crossed the line but that ball was gone, he was never getting it no matter what Kompany did.

Is it relevant to the rules that the ball is in play or not, surely it would be more important that the attacker have some sort of control instead?

Because it is in the laws of the game. The ball is still in play. The law doesn't say don't bother if the ball is rolling out. It should have been a penalty.

Well first of all, I’m not actually English, just hopeful they do well. Secondly, those comments are reminiscent of previous World Cups when the media downplay England’s opponents and heap the pressure on their own team, as a neutral wanting them to do well, that sort of thing makes it harder. They haven’t earned the right to be that confident yet, and certainly haven’t earned the right to be so condescending towards Sweden, who topped their group and looked solid doing it. Thirdly, what’s the craic with the blue? :p
    Where did I say you were English; I'm English. As for the blue , it was supposed to highlight that a pundit likened Sweden to Burnley, not the players or the management. And that there is very little logic in wanting England to lose because of some stupid comment made by a pundit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I very much hope so.

France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Ronaldo,Messi,Neymar,Suarez,all world class individuals,all out,world class players left?

Hazard,modric,kane,.. struggling to find more, all the very top boys are gone, couple from France are close.. really need a strong full team these days to compete,well drilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Ronaldo,Messi,Neymar,Suarez,all world class individuals,all out,world class players left?

Hazard,modric,kane,.. struggling to find more, all the very top boys are gone, couple from France are close.. really need a strong full team these days to compete,well drilled.

Griezman?!

What the hell does world class mean! Especially in this context! I mean you have omitted Kante, Griezman Mbappe, Rakitic, Varane, Courtois, Lloris, de Bruyne, Pogba (yes Pogba), Lukaku, Lingaard, Fellaini, Ashley Young, Victor Lindelof, Phil Jones... ; )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

You'd need to add Lukaku to that - he delivered yesterday big time. Also Greizmann, Mbappe, de Bruyne, Courtois, Kante, Mandzukic, Rakatic etc. World class players. Not the poster boys such as Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar etc, but world class players for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

fyfe79 wrote: »
    You'd need to add Lukaku to that - he delivered yesterday big time. Also Greizmann, Mbappe, de Bruyne, Courtois, Kante, Mandzukic, Rakatic etc. World class players. Not the poster boys such as Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar etc, but world class players for sure.

All the stick lukaku gets at man united, I still think he's world class. He proves it for Belgium, maybe united just doesn't suit him. I love Lukaku. And I'm a Liverpool fan!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement