Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp Duty on Self Build

Options
  • 01-12-2017 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

My wife was left a site by her late father and since then secured full planning permission for a house, all in her name. She is a first time buyer but I am not.

Can anyone give me an idea on how we would calculate stamp duty on building a house on the site?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I'm not sure what you mean by calculating the stamp duty on building a house on the site. You wouldn't pay any stamp duty if you build your own house.

Assuming, your wife has already had the property transferred into her name and paid the stamp duty on that, then there's no more stamp duty to pay.

If you mean what stamp duty would arise if she transfers it to joint names, then there's none to pay on that either as transfers between spouses is exempt.

If you meant something else, let us know...

However, as in all cases, consult a professional and don't rely on the (free) opinions expressed here...including mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nagsheader

Thanks Exaisle for your quick reply.

Stamp duty was paid on the site already. The topic of stamp duty came up during a meeting with the banks mortgage advisor, they seemed pretty sure that stamp duty should be factored into the total build cost.

Advertisement