Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Harika wrote: »

Can't fault him for his ambitions.

Another F1 title is out of the question now as i don't see him in F1 by 40, he's no 36.

Matching the achievement of Graham Hill is all he can do now to cement his status.

Looking back on his career it has been a combination of bad decisions and right place wrong time.

Only for Spygate and Hamilton that Merc drive was his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

That's not an official account. Spanish Fool's Day apparently.

That's not an official account. Spanish Fool's Day apparently.

Thanks I was wondering when scrolling through them, but was shared by a motorsport journalist. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭lolie

While on the subject of social media Kimi is now on instagram https://www.instagram.com/kimimatiasraikkonen/ although i doubt he'll update it to often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Anybody pick up any good F1 books over Christmas? About to start Adrian Newey's now.

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Anybody pick up any good F1 books over Christmas? About to start Adrian Newey's now.

Been meaning to buy that, i expect it will be a good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Cool_CM wrote: »

Been meaning to buy that, i expect it will be a good read.

It's down to 8 quid on Amazon (hardcover, 1st edition), you won't get much better than that!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Build-Car-Autobiography-Greatest/dp/000819680X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Jordan 199 wrote: »

Alonso got a fastest lap!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

LEIN wrote: »
    Alonso got a fastest lap!! :pac:

Hungary. Not bad for a GP2 engine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Hungary. Not bad for a GP2 engine!

I think you're being kind with that statement!! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

LEIN wrote: »
    I think you're being kind with that statement!! :pac::pac:

Being kind is saying that next years engine will be rebadged from a Honda Civic :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

how did lewis end up with one lap lower than the total. am I forgetting something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

how did lewis end up with one lap lower than the total. am I forgetting something

He was lapped in Mexico by Max iirc.

Glico Man wrote: »
    He was lapped in Mexico by Max iirc.

that makes sence. I was trying to think did he DNF on the last lap somewhere I missed.

I think Fernando Alonso will visit the podium a few times this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think Fernando Alonso will visit the podium a few times this year.

I really hope he does now that he will have a decent engine.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I hoe Alonso does well , he deserves it after that time driving a lemon

what are the odds on a Honda podium this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I hoe Alonso does well , he deserves it after that time driving a lemon

what are the odds on a Honda podium this year
    Long I'd say but will probably shorten as the year goes on. Monaco and Budapest might be tracks to watch out for.

just for the fact that Alonso isn't driving a Honda is enough reason to put a small bet on a Honda being on the podium. he is desperately unlucky

just for the fact that Alonso isn't driving a Honda is enough reason to put a small bet on a Honda being on the podium. he is desperately unlucky

His career went down hill after the 2007 spygate saga, be it bad luck or wrong decisions or the wrong time.

Would Alonso have won the title in a 2017 Ferrari?

Hard to say as Vettel himself was victorious against Alonso for all bar his final year at Ferrari.

How penalties are applied, e.g. what does +35 places mean for Toro Rosso :D

I think Sainz will finish ahead of Hulkenberg in the championship this year.

I think Sainz will finish ahead of Hulkenberg in the championship this year.

I would also bet my money on that. Sainz is simply too strong and the Hulk simply has never ignited and it is time for him to retire to LMP or DTM.
    BTW: Did you realise that after having four germans on the grid 10-15 years ago, with german junior drivers waiting for seats, after Hulk there is simply no German in the junior pipeline. No promising GP2 or GP3 driver to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Surely we find out this week who drives for Williams this season.

MuddyDog wrote: »

Spoiler: Williams will IMO have the weakest driver lineup for 2018. Then difficult if it is Sauber, Torro Rosso or Haas. But this is muddy as two teams have rookies. Of the six drivers Ericsson is the weakest but Leclerc looks like a grenade and with the swap to Alfa Romeo they could create a good car for him. And Haas have two drivers that were promising but since then failed to deliver.

Driver Lineup
    1. Red Bull
    2. Mercedes
    3. McLaren
    4. Force India
    5. Ferrari - Kimi pulls it down :(
    6. Renault
    7. TorroRosso
    8. Sauber
    9. Haas
    10. Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

MuddyDog wrote: »
    I think it’s been decided.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42579911

Kubica just wasn’t fast enough.

Joe Saward said it was between Wehrlein and Sirotkin. Sirotkin is the money man and Wehrlein is the faster driver.

While Wehrlein could reduce the cost of Mercedes engines a small bit, it looks like Williams needed the money badly so went for Sirotkin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I think it’s been decided.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42579911

Kubica just wasn’t fast enough.

Joe Saward said it was between Wehrlein and Sirotkin. Sirotkin is the money man and Wehrlein is the faster driver.

While Wehrlein could reduce the cost of Mercedes engines a small bit, it looks like Williams needed the money badly so went for Sirotkin

The more cynical view would be....

Sirotkin - he has lots of Russian money but no experience (not to mention that Kubica outpaced him in Renault testing)

Kyvat - Russian funding if Sirotkin does not get chosen and has experience

Kubica - about half the money Sirotkin can bring. Joe Saward was quoted above and on his blogs and on other reputable publications the 'Kubica not fast enough' has been labelled as incorrect and simply an excuse to explain away Sirotkin as the choice

Wehrlein - Mercedes will not provide the finance - ie Ocon is now their man for the future

Massa - The obvious choice to be retained but in fighting at Williams gave him the opportunity to announce his retirement and take the decision out of Williams hands

If Williams do go for a Stroll and Sirotkin line up it will be the weakest line up in F1

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PDiddy87

Wonder is that the Martini sponcership gone? 🀔 I thought they demanded a drink over 25?

PDiddy87 wrote: »
    Wonder is that the Martini sponcership gone? �� I thought they demanded a drink over 25?

Martini still the title sponsor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Infoanon wrote: »
    PDiddy87 wrote: »
    Wonder is that the Martini sponcership gone? �� I thought they demanded a drink over 25?

Martini still the title sponsor

They will probably get the drivers to do extra PR events and grow a beard and wear sandals and socks.

That should do the trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

kopite386 wrote: »

Good result for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Who else have Ferrari on the books if Kimi retires during or at end of the season. Would Leclerc be favourite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

mickdw wrote: »
    Good result for him.

Not sure it is. He will never get an actual Ferrari drive. Probably hired to obtain any information, albeit slightly dated from Red Bull, from their competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

HighLine wrote: »
    Not sure it is. He will never get an actual Ferrari drive. Probably hired to obtain any information, albeit slightly dated from Red Bull, from their competitors.

People may have forgetten that this is the same Ferrari who hired Esteban Gutierrez as a development driver. There are other considerations to be made, than just a race seat, a bit of exposure in the Russian market is good from a commercial perspective. He's a quick guy, but he needs to sort his head out. Very difficult to see a path back to a race seat with this announcement.

Its as secure a job as it gets in f1. Driving and being familiar with current f1 machinery at a front running team. I think its as good a seat off the grid as you can get.
    I believe he is very quick too and young so whats to say he couldnt in future pick up a drive somewhere.

mickdw wrote: »
    Its as secure a job as it gets in f1. Driving and being familiar with current f1 machinery at a front running team. I think its as good a seat off the grid as you can get.
    I believe he is very quick too and young so whats to say he couldnt in future pick up a drive somewhere.

Almost certainly helped by some Russian Money.

Sirotken to be announced as a Williams driver next week - 20 million reasons apparently...........

• Advertisement

They can use him as driver in the simulator, who is proven to be quick and is used to modern cars. Good chance also for him to be long term employed like Marc Gene or Luca Badoer were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

They can use him as driver in the simulator, who is proven to be quick and is used to modern cars. Good chance also for him to be long term employed like Marc Gene or Luca Badoer were.

But that's a retirement plan. I'm sure he would much prefer an actual drive however unlikely.

But that's a retirement plan. I'm sure he would much prefer an actual drive however unlikely.

That might depend on his work and if Maserati-Haas gets more interesting or if he fits into to Alfa Romeo. Maybe he convinces them that he should replace Kimi? and tbh he is quick and his demise is mostly Red Bulls management failure.

That might depend on his work and if Maserati-Haas gets more interesting or if he fits into to Alfa Romeo. Maybe he convinces them that he should replace Kimi? and tbh he is quick and his demise is mostly Red Bulls management failure.

He was clearly quick and definitely was harshly treated by Red Bull, but after he was demoted he could have gone back to Toro Rosso with the bit between his teeth to prove them wrong. He didn't, he did the opposite, he crumbled under the pressure. Quick yes, but without the mental strength required to be a World Champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

skipper_G wrote: »
    He was clearly quick and definitely was harshly treated by Red Bull, but after he was demoted he could have gone back to Toro Rosso with the bit between his teeth to prove them wrong. He didn't, he did the opposite, he crumbled under the pressure. Quick yes, but without the mental strength required to be a World Champion.

True, but I always take that with a grain of salt.

Carlos was/is a viable candidate for Red Bull. I think from the moment he was demoted, Daniil never was. Did he get the same upgrades as Carlos? What was his engineering support like?

Did Carlos get overall preferential treatment? I would imagine so. Hard to shine in those circumstances. I always thought he needed to get out of RB, and back into a supportive team structure. Only then can we judge whether Daniil has lost what made he so good during his first stint at TR.

Schorpio wrote: »
    True, but I always take that with a grain of salt.

Carlos was/is a viable candidate for Red Bull. I think from the moment he was demoted, Daniil never was. Did he get the same upgrades as Carlos? What was his engineering support like?

Did Carlos get overall preferential treatment? I would imagine so. Hard to shine in those circumstances. I always thought he needed to get out of RB, and back into a supportive team structure. Only then can we judge whether Daniil has lost what made he so good during his first stint at TR.

Again, the same point stands. If he went back to the team and showed the mental strength to get the maximum out of the package in whatever form that may have been (upgrades or not, engineering support or not) the team would have seen and recognised that.

You may be right, and if somebody put their arm around him and mollycoddled him enough maybe he might have come back to his best but in F1, the kind of time required for that is a luxury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

To be fair doing simulation work for Ferrari will probably seem like a step up in F1 compared to a Honda powered Toro Rosso drive next season :P

If this turns out to be true, could Kubica get back on the grid in 2019 aged 34?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133874/kubica-in-talks-with-williams-over-f1-role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

If this turns out to be true, could Kubica get back on the grid in 2019 aged 34?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133874/kubica-in-talks-with-williams-over-f1-role
    :D
    Williams has insisted throughout the process that its decision on the driver to partner Stroll would be based purely on performance
    And yet somehow no-body believes them :pac:

Assuming he is not in a car this year at some stage, id say he has lost his chance. He had all the surprise, hype, public support, paddock support and current world champ as manager for this push for a drive. I cant see such interest next year.
    Its a chance lost for f1 and Bernie would have made it happen if he was still in charge.
    I think williams are underestimating what he would have brought in terms of publicity for the team if he had the race seat nevermind the public goodwill it would bring also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement