Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

Benson about TV rights worldwide http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42816877

There is a TV streaming platform for F1 prepared, but unlikely to be available for UK until 2024, when the Sky contract ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

And Sky will make sure Ireland will be covered by any rights deals they have for the UK from next year on.
    I'm sure you'll all be doing your magic "my computer is not in Ireland" tricks to bypass all that.
    Last I heard about the former Toyota F1 chief executive Cregan, he was running the F1 tracks in the middle east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

flazio wrote: »
    Last I heard about the former Toyota F1 chief executive Cregan, he was running the F1 tracks in the middle east.

Abu Dhabi I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Interesting audience numbers given there from Benson -
    ....in the last year of the BBC coverage in 2015 was 3.1m. Channel 4's was 1.9m last year. Sky's in 2017 was 652,000.

That said - Sky don't care about numbers. They only care about having the sport to drive subscriber numbers. Those numbers should be of concern to FOM though. Nearly 5 times fewer people watching the sport than when it was FTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://www.autosport.com/gallery/index.php/id/3793

In anticipation of the new cars and liveries coming out, here is a nice gallery of some old and rare ones to enjoy.

Schorpio wrote: »
    Interesting audience numbers given there from Benson -

That said - Sky don't care about numbers. They only care about having the sport to drive subscriber numbers. Those numbers should be of concern to FOM though. Nearly 5 times fewer people watching the sport than when it was FTA.

Someone did the maths, and FOM got more money out of 650000 Sky people than out of 8 Million on BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Williams will launch their new car on the 15th of February.

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://www.autosport.com/gallery/index.php/id/3793

In anticipation of the new cars and liveries coming out, here is a nice gallery of some old and rare ones to enjoy.

They forgot the Rothmans Tyrrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Daytona 24 hour race started a little while ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

How long is it on for?

Kidding, I was going to ask where I could watch it but found this live stream on the website:

https://imsatv.imsa.com

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    How long is it on for?

Kidding, I was going to ask where I could watch it but found this live stream on the website:

https://imsatv.imsa.com

Yeah that's the link I have it on. Good choice of cameras, including onboard shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jaysus, that's a long way to limp back with a puncture.

Here's the list of Channel4 F1 races for 2018 here in the UK/Ireland. Enjoy this final year of having some races FTA.

Bahrain, Baku, Monaco, Austria, Britain, Belgium, Singapore, Japan, USA, Abu Dhabi all on Channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

Harika wrote: »
    Someone did the maths, and FOM got more money out of 650000 Sky people than out of 8 Million on BBC

I think its one of those knowing the price of everything and value of nothing situations for FOM. In terms of hard income im sure subscriptions bring in more coin, but, as the article touches on, in terms of overall exposure, creation of new young fans, winning over the casual viewer etc, I still think they're shooting themselves in the foot. 2024 is a long way a way, could see the sport suffering badly in the interim

strawdog wrote: »
    I think its one of those knowing the price of everything and value of nothing situations for FOM. In terms of hard income im sure subscriptions bring in more coin, but, as the article touches on, in terms of overall exposure, creation of new young fans, winning over the casual viewer etc, I still think they're shooting themselves in the foot. 2024 is a long way a way, could see the sport suffering badly in the interim

I totally agree with you, while it generates more money in short term, long term it is bad.
    At least liberty seems to be able to think longer than from year to year.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Just look at the mess that is the WRC, it never recovered from being dropped from TV or at least being put in terrible time slots.

WRC was never loved from the FIA, so it was sabotaged with unwanted regulation changes that send away the manufacturers and let this exciting product die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

F1 is probably my favourite sport over all others. But watching Fe in the last few years, it has gather so much momentum (along with road EVs becoming more common place), that putting F1 behind a pay wall the exposure is lessened, and Fe is available FTA too, will bring more fans to Fe than F1. By 2024, we could be very well in a 50/50 split of Fe fans versus F1 fans, if not leaning towards Fe majority.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

F1 is probably my favourite sport over all others. But watching Fe in the last few years, it has gather so much moment (along with road EVs becoming more common place), that putting F1 behind a pay wall the exposure is lessened, and Fe is available FTA too. By 2024, we could be very well in a 50/50 split of Fe fans versus F1 fans.

F1 will eventually give way to FE i reckon and either merge or F1 will stop completely.

2018 launch dates so far:

Williams: 15th of February.

Renault and Sauber: 20th of February.

Ferrari and Mercedes: 22nd of February.

McLaren: 23rd of February.

Toro Rosso: 25th of February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

F1 is probably my favourite sport over all others. But watching Fe in the last few years, it has gather so much momentum (along with road EVs becoming more common place), that putting F1 behind a pay wall the exposure is lessened, and Fe is available FTA too, will bring more fans to Fe than F1. By 2024, we could be very well in a 50/50 split of Fe fans versus F1 fans, if not leaning towards Fe majority.

Next race on next weekend at 6pm. A new track too I think.
    Jordan 199 wrote: »
    2018 launch dates so far:

Williams: 15th of February.

Renault and Sauber: 20th of February.

Ferrari and Mercedes: 22nd of February.

McLaren: 23rd of February.

Toro Rosso: 25th of February.

Can,t wait the 15th not to far away. A little over two weeks that will fly by.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

F1 is probably my favourite sport over all others. But watching Fe in the last few years, it has gather so much moment (along with road EVs becoming more common place), that putting F1 behind a pay wall the exposure is lessened, and Fe is available FTA too. By 2024, we could be very well in a 50/50 split of Fe fans versus F1 fans.

F1 will eventually give way to FE i reckon and either merge or F1 will stop completely.

Blasphemy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Where is FE available FTA? I only saw it on BT?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

ELM327 wrote: »
    Where is FE available FTA? I only saw it on BT?

Fairly certain ITV show all the rounds and a highlight show.
    Scratch that. Not on ITV anymore.

On Channel 5 and 3e now apparently.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/championship/tv-schedule/

May watch it. Also tickets are reasonable. Had a look for the one in Paris.
    Children 5-15 are free with a paying Adult, and for a ticket in the grandstand at start finish is €55.

With free to watch, and affordable tickets you would expect the popularity to increase. It helps that they are pushing it. I haven't been a fan but haven't really watched it. May stick it on this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Lads this is like me going into the Religion forum to discuss all the positive attributes of the devil. Tree hugging, fan boosting, car switching half way through a race fans should discuss that muck in it's own thread.

• Advertisement

HighLine wrote: »
    Lads this is like me going into the Religion forum to discuss all the positive attributes of the devil. Tree hugging, fan boosting, car switching half way through a race fans should discuss that muck in it's own thread.

He was just misunderstood.

And I don't see the problem discussing it. What had been discussed was how it's the final year of Channel 4s contract with F1, and how once it becomes a pay to watch completely sport how will that affect the next generations of fans.

Examples like WRC and FE were used in comparison, the free-to-air and reasonable costs of FE will no doubt boosts it's popularity and it this may affect F1 in the long run, like someone previously said they could see a merger down the line.

You may not like the sound of all that, or agree with it but that doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

DUyjJ-yWkAAAd_S.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

• Advertisement

You can get a better look at more eye candy at this new invention called internet. :cool: my god, the original post at F1 is full of people claiming that 20 women are now losing their job :pac:

They could have Eddie Jordan in his swimsuit as a grid guy and once the racing is fun and competitive I couldn't care less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

You can get a better look at more eye candy at this new invention called internet. :cool: my god, the original post at F1 is full of people claiming that 20 women are now losing their job :pac:

Nah they’ll be behind the scenes doing other things to service the vips who attend the events #womensrightsvictory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Adamocovic wrote: »
    They could have Eddie Jordan in his swimsuit as a grid guy and once the racing is fun and competitive I couldn't care less.

You had to put that image in my head, didn’t you?

There are some things you can never unsee!

Nah they’ll be behind the scenes doing other things to service the vips who attend the events #womensrightsvictory

That's a good point, at the RedBull Event there were 50 of them casted and from what I read it is a full time job and not limited to the 15 minutes on the grid. Will only this feature be cut or all other promotion/service events too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Why worry about losing huge numbers of casual viewers, and encouraging new fans to tune in when you put everything behind a paywall - lets focus on the important things here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sky were the ones who pushed for the Darts girls to be chucked out. They were constantly trying to erase any view of the ladies in when they were in view by cutting to crowd shots. Wouldn't be surprised if they were part of a movement to push for this too.

Meanwhile pop over the Sky Sports News where the women were of coursed hired on their talents and nothing remotely to do with their looks.

Big shout out to Daniella Alfree who lost both of her Darts and British GP gigs over the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rusty_ie2004

A 4 part documentary about mclaren 2017 season going to be released on amazon on february 9

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/amazon-mclaren-documentary-reveals-alonso-quit-fears-1000881/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I frankly don't give a passing sho1te, but the "huge win for women's right!" point is plainly riduculous. These girls aren't "exploited" nor "abused", they choose to do that specific job.

[RANT MODE ON]

I overheard a funny discussion about it, somebody going on like this:

"We occasionally watch F1, and my daughter always asks why are these girls just standing around and not helping with the car".

I had to exercise a LOT of restraint not to barge in: "Well lady, you've lost a great opportunity to teach your little girl an important lesson: these lasses are just 'standing' there because, mostly, their looks are all they have going for themselves. If you don't want to end up just 'standing there', always remember to strive for improvement, educate yourself, learn to do useful things, be independent and don't rely on others - so you can be a 'girl' who actually helps building and tuning those cars, or drive one to the chequered flag".

And before anyone barges in, I know that some or maybe many of these "grid girls" are in College or whatnot, and just using their looks to earn a quick buck on they way to their desired profession. More power to them for it - I am a software engineer, but I'm also a feckin' big fella - and I used that to earn some quick money in my youth, working security at events and clubs.

[RANT MODE OFF]

Proposal: let's have oiled up, g-string wearing male bodybuilders on the grid, and let's see how long it takes for cries of "exploitation" to rise. I think we'll be waiting for a veeeeeery long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Well to be fair these grid girls where models. They where hired to model (for the grid part of their jobs anyway).

Maybe a way to appease everyone was to hire male models to stand with the cars also.

But just getting rid of them to appease generation snowflake is just another nail in the coffin for society.

Also I have never seen grid girls in anything but glamorous dresses?? They are pretty but they arent exactly getting their bits out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I frankly don't give a passing sho1te, but the "huge win for women's right!" point is plainly riduculous. These girls aren't "exploited" nor "abused", they choose to do that specific job.

Yeah, actually it seems most of the grid girls are pissed off that they lost their job, rather than been happy that their not "exploited" any more.
    An example being;
    I LOVE MY JOB. So I’ve held my tongue long enough now, this is an absolute joke to now hear that F1 are scrapping grid girls!! It’s sad enough that the walk on girls have gone - one being my friend, then the talks of ring girls going in boxing but now this?! The world has gone mad! Supposedly these so called feminists are ‘defending us’ when actually because of these idiots we are losing our jobs! In the 8 years of promo - mainly being on the grid I have never once felt uncomfortable! I do this because I enjoy it and I have the choice. Maybe these idiots should actually speak to us first before piping up, it’s utter BS! Wind your necks in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Mr.H wrote: »
    Well to be fair these grid girls where models. They where hired to model (for the grid part of their jobs anyway).

Maybe a way to appease everyone was to hire male models to stand with the cars also.

But just getting rid of them to appease generation snowflake is just another nail in the coffin for society.

Also I have never seen grid girls in anything but glamorous dresses?? They are pretty but they arent exactly getting their bits out

They should speak up, say that "woman <> baby", and they can take care of themselves - oh wait, we saw what happens whey they do, ask Catherine Deneuve. If someone disagrees with the "line of acceptable thought", they're the villain.

We're going towards an interestingly Huxleyan society, people jumping into the disthopia willingly and with both feet. Anyway, this is going waaaaay off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Fuji is looking to change its date to avoid a clash with F1 !

Ha the grid girls were just distraction of the real news:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/new-race-weekend-schedule-announced-for-2018.html

Basically all sessions in EU and Brazil will start one hour later, and the races itself start 10 minutes past the hour.
    Won't change much for me, as if we have family dinner, it is always around 14:00, on the other hand it might be handy to get out early to the beach/shopping and be back for the race, what was tight before.

The 10 minutes is for ads and I don't like the hour later, more of the day used up.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Fuji is looking to change its date to avoid a clash with F1 !

Toyota still owns the Fuji Speedway right ? They will probably push for it considering Alonso would be driving one of their cars

skipper_G wrote: »
    Toyota still owns the Fuji Speedway right ? They will probably push for it considering Alonso would be driving one of their cars

The FIA could use this as leverage to try and get Toyota back to F1 maybe?

As in 'we'll do it on certain conditions?'

skipper_G wrote: »
    Toyota still owns the Fuji Speedway right ?

They do.

Like "First we have to win LeMans as only WorksTeam", can you please shorten the race by one lap this time?

• Advertisement

You're such an optimist :D

Advertisement