Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Someone on Reddit did a list of Ricciardo's last year of racing.

hFmUNCg_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Little wonder he's getting out of there. Thats woeful reliability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭flexcon

pjohnson wrote: »

And the irony is he is leaving to go directly to the manufacture of said engine thats given him 95% of the DNFs.

Although I'm well aware that it could be something locally RedBull are doing that's causing the renault engine to go give trouble.

Incidentally - I saw yesterday that with Riccardo as the example of a Renault engine driver, he has retired more times than the TR with the honda in the back.
    Then take out TR engine replacement for Hartleys and gaslys crash, and TR honda has only used 1 extra engine than Ricardo. Go further and note that TR and the Honda engine was replaced strategecily twice this season - the consensus is the Honda is as reliable as the Renault and now putting out some more peak power for Qualifying.

Really hope Riccardo made the right move here....

Ill try and find the graph that shows the engines and DNF and you will be amazed at how Honda actually have done well both on reliability and the progression of the ICE

EDIT: Here is the raw table. Again remembering that Honda has replaced the engine on race 2 due to a silly fault and again in Sochi due to Honda bring out a new spec engine. Also add into the mix the engines were strategically replaced when they were at the back of the field anyway.

I must try and read over some news articles to see if Redbull also used strategy to replace the engine when the back of the field. They didn't with Max today which is interesting. It could be a cost issue where as TR are more than happy for Honda to whip in a fresh engine free of charge.

Driver Team Engine ICE TC MGU-H MGU-K ES CE
    Lewis Hamilton Mercedes Mercedes 3 3 3 2 2 2
    Valtteri Bottas Mercedes Mercedes 4 4 4 3 3 3
    Sebastian Vettel Ferrari Ferrari 3 3 3 2 2 2
    Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari Ferrari 3 3 3 2 2 2
    Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Renault 5 5 5 5 4 4
    Max Verstappen Red Bull Renault 4 4 4 4 3 3
    Sergio Perez Force India Mercedes 3 3 3 2 2 2
    Esteban Ocon Force India Mercedes 3 3 3 2 2 2
    Lance Stroll Williams Mercedes 3 3 3 2 2 2
    Sergey Sirotkin Williams Mercedes 3 3 3 2 2 2
    Nico Hulkenberg Renault Renault 5 6 5 4 4 4
    Carlos Sainz Renault Renault 4 4 4 3 3 3
    Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso Honda 7 7 7 6 3 3
    Brendon Hartley Toro Rosso Honda 7 7 7 6 3 4
    Romain Grosjean Haas Ferrari Ferrari 3 3 3 2 2 2
    Kevin Magnussen Haas Ferrari Ferrari 3 3 3 2 2 2
    Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren Renault 4 4 4 3 3 3
    Fernando Alonso McLaren Renault 4 4 4 4 3 3
    Marcus Ericsson Sauber Ferrari 4 3 3 2 2 2
    Charles Leclerc Sauber Ferrari 3 3 3 2 2 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

With a little bit of twisted thinking, it could be said this is called "being Red Bull's 'other driver'" :P

Stoffel Vandoorne will be Merc Simulator driver next year.

Wonder does this mean Gutierrez will join Ferrari again to replace Kvyat.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭colmufc

Stoffel Vandoorne will be Merc Simulator driver next year.

I heard vandoorne had gone to formulaE

• Advertisement

colmufc wrote: »
    I heard vandoorne had gone to formulaE

Full time driving yeah but its apparently a Mercedes-backed Formula E team he's joined. He'll be combining the two roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Full time driving yeah but its apparently a Mercedes-backed Formula E team he's joined. He'll be combining the two roles.

Yep, he's joining HWA who ran Merc's DTM operation for years. The team will become a Merc works team from 2020 if I remember correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

In about two years I reckon Formula E will be more of a sidewards step rather than a dumping ground for has-been drivers or juniors who just wouldn't be able* for F1. If you were given a choice of drive in a top team in Fe, or a bottom team in F1, which would you choose?

*I am thinking there are so many good drivers in F2/F3/FEuro that just don't have the cash to get them into F1. Fe might be a great way to get into a 'top tier' formulae without the need for massive amounts of cash.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Hopefully not. That fool doesn't belong anywhere near an F1 car.

Seb has now had a coming together with Lewis, Max, and Daniel (Monza, Japan, and Texas), and bizarrely, has only had a spin off of each one, with negligible/to no damage. Kinda lucky really!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Inviere wrote: »
    Seb has now had a coming together with Lewis, Max, and Daniel (Monza, Japan, and Texas), and bizarrely, has only had a spin off of each one, with negligible/to no damage. Kinda lucky really!

He picked up damage against Verstappen in Japan to the side of the car, but either way still lucky to carry on each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A couple of months back:
    mickdw wrote: »
    Kimi for the win.
    All he needs is circumstances to take vettel out of the picture then he gets a fair chance.
    The Ferrari is so strong this year that it would be odd if things don't align for him at least once.

He would have to be best if the rest including Hamilton. The cars are comparable but the Ferrari isn’t so much faster that it can make up for kimi’s deficit to Hamilton.

So you need Vettel and Hamilton to retire or be way down the order, and Kimi to be having one of his good days. Not even 50/50 I’d say.

Delighted for Kimi. A good win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Hopefully not. That fool doesn't belong anywhere near an F1 car.

Really? I think he was better than a lot of drivers we have had since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

astrofluff wrote: »
    In about two years I reckon Formula E will be more of a sidewards step rather than a dumping ground for has-been drivers or juniors who just wouldn't be able* for F1. If you were given a choice of drive in a top team in Fe, or a bottom team in F1, which would you choose?

Bottom team in F1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    With a little bit of twisted thinking, it could be said this is called "being Red Bull's 'other driver'" :P

Surely do doing that because he is leaving them would not be good for Red Bull or there place of 3rd in the points. They want to be getting as many points as they can surely. I think it has just been an offal lot of bad luck for Ricciardo that's all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Bottom team in F1.

Got to go with that.
    It's every little petrol head boys dream to drive in F1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

JEV had that choice this year if rumours are to be believed and he went with the front running FE team.

In saying that it looks like the TR won't be a bad place to sit next year either, Honda seem to have got the reliability in check and the performance is creeping up. It pains me to think it but it really seems that McLaren were a big part of the problem. They have gone backwards this season, they've scored more points this year than last year but will likely finish below what they scored in 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Bottom team in F1.
    Even if like Bourdais or JEV you've already had a go in F1 and sat in the midfield with no hope of winning?

No, I'd take the FE anytime tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Harika

ELM327 wrote: »
    Even if like Bourdais or JEV you've already had a go in F1 and sat in the midfield with no hope of winning?

No, I'd take the FE anytime tbh

You can always work your way upward as seen with Alonso, Ricciardo and so on. And pay is defo better in F1.

Harika wrote: »
    You can always work your way upward as seen with Alonso, Ricciardo and so on. And pay is defo better in F1.
    If you "can always work your way up" why are they not still in F1 so?
    Same for Crashtor, Kyvat, JEV, Bourdais, Di Resta, etc etc

• Advertisement

Maybe not good enough, it is not a handholding environment there.
    In fairness Maldonado would have been longer in F1 if the sponsorship didn't dry up.
    Kyvat is back, went from midfield, to top team and so on
    JEV, bad luck with Vettels timing
    Bourdais, like Zanardi never got into F1
    diResta didn't strike me as driver that showed talent to make it up the grid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

elperello wrote: »
    Got to go with that.
    It's every little petrol head boys dream to drive in F1.

That's why Hartley gave up a front running IndyCar drive to go to F1. But it's a bit different to drivers who've been there before and been spat out by the system. They've no reason to go back, pay in FE is very good.

Mainly because none of them are of the same class as Alonso or Ricciardo.

That's why Hartley gave up a front running IndyCar drive to go to F1. But it's a bit different to drivers who've been there before and been spat out by the system. They've no reason to go back, pay in FE is very good.
    +1
    Mainly because none of them are of the same class as Alonso or Ricciardo.
    That was my point.
    So they wont be able to "work their way up" and as such a winning drive in FE is worth more than a second tilt at the F1 midfield or back of the field teams with no hope of progression.

+1

That was my point.
    So they wont be able to "work their way up" and as such a winning drive in FE is worth more than a second tilt at the F1 midfield or back of the field teams with no hope of progression.

OFC they would be able, even in a bad car the first rule is to dominate your team mate, if you cannot do that, no chance to progress. There is a long queue of talent and money into F1.

They are all very good points about drives in FE vs F1.
    Ultimately a professional racing driver must make the best decision where his career is at a point in time.

Harika wrote: »
    OFC they would be able, even in a bad car the first rule is to dominate your team mate, if you cannot do that, no chance to progress. There is a long queue of talent and money into F1.
    Ugh. If they were able, why didnt they?

None of them are in F1 anymore and show no sign of returning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Being an ex-midfield driver can often result in drives in the likes of DTM, Le Mans, Indy... what happens to ex-FE drivers?

From my own point of view, being part of the crazy circus that is F1 would be part of the appeal - the least famous F1 driver is probably still going to be more well known than an FE driver.

But if you want to win, at whatever you drive at, then I guess you go where gives you that opportunity. The contrast is, if you want to win *in F1* you start at whatever level you can, you stay in the sport for as long as you can, and you do what you can to get to the top.

I always remember seeing an interview with Marc Gene where he said his goal was to be an F1 champion; even then it was obvious it was never gonna happen but he was there and believing in it.

GarIT wrote: »
    Really? I think he was better than a lot of drivers we have had since.

Yeah I've no time for the guy at all. If there's one thing that puts me off a driver, it's constant, and I mean constant, ignoring of blue flags. Magnussen is quickly becoming another driver I've no time for either, he's a reckless idiot at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have to say if I as a racing driver a bottom team in F1 would be far more appealing than a top team in Fe as the tracks in Fe are just terrible. Work hard, do your best and try get into a better team from there. At least with Formula 1 you get to race on proper tracks and get to go to some tracks with a lot of history too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

In about two years I reckon Formula E will be more of a sidewards step

In two years? Not a hope. I'd say by the time F-E has parity with F1, F1 will be ready to go electric anyway, and F-E will be absorbed into F1. We're talking probably 15-20 years down the road though, maybe more. F-E is merely a glorified experiment at the mo, it's making progress, but the 'tracks' are nothing short of abysmal (no individual characteristics, all the same, really short laps, nothing but catch fencing from corner to corner.) It still has a long way to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

In about two years I reckon Formula E will be more of a sidewards step rather than a dumping ground for has-been drivers or juniors who just wouldn't be able* for F1. If you were given a choice of drive in a top team in Fe, or a bottom team in F1, which would you.

With the likes of Mercedes and Audi on board it could be the place to go. BMW likely to go there too.
    WEC rules from 2020 look like favouring hydrogen technologies so that could be another place worth going.
    F1 could be left behind.

In two years? Not a hope. I'd say by the time F-E has parity with F1, F1 will be ready to go electric anyway, and F-E will be absorbed into F1. We're talking probably 15-20 years down the road though, maybe more. F-E is merely a glorified experiment at the mo, it's making progress, but the 'tracks' are nothing short of abysmal (no individual characteristics, all the same, really short laps, nothing but catch fencing from corner to corner.) It still has a long way to go...

There's a lot of great tracks out there that don't get a sniff of F1. I'm sure deals can be done

tigerboon wrote: »
    There's a lot of great tracks out there that don't get a sniff of F1. I'm sure deals can be done

Good idea.
    Estoril
    Algarve International
    Zandvoort
    Watkins Glen

elperello wrote: »

Good idea.
    Estoril
    Algarve International
    Zandvoort
    Watkins Glen

Brands Hatch
    Laguna Seca
    Nurburgring
    A lot of the Moto GP tracks like Assen have everything and are relatively short.

• Advertisement

Ah I can smell the nostalgia.
    Unfortunately not the sweet aroma of fuel and oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

The size of some of the tracks, mondello could surely host one :D
    For the bigger tracks like nurburgring, it would it be worth it money wise? I doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You realise that the founder of Formula E wants his events in the cities so as to encourage people to use green public transport to attend. What's the public transport links to Modello park like?

flazio wrote: »
    You realise that the founder of Formula E wants his events in the cities so as to encourage people to use green public transport to attend. What's the public transport links to Modello park like?

Yeah but the ultimate goal of FE is to develop electric cars so the more successful it is the more likely fans will be travelling to it in green electric vehicles in the future.
    Mondello isn't a bad track. Lots of overtaking opportunities. It has hosted sizable crowds before. It used to host a round of BSB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

flazio wrote: »

****e, hence my laughing face.
    No wasn't aware of that tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Mexican GP this weekend. It might peel me away from Red Dead Redemption 2 for a while...or maybe not.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Mexican GP this weekend. It might peel me away from Red Dead Redemption 2 for a while...or maybe not.

Looks good. Should I buy? I liked the first one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Looks good. Should I buy? I liked the first one

Yes you shoud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The current F1 game is a beauty as well. Doing a career with Haas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Gintonious wrote: »
    The current F1 game is a beauty as well. Doing a career with Haas.

I became a world champion in the Haas driving as myself, was quite good. is the latest version any good? Also the classic cars were great, i loved the sound of the old V12 Ferrari engine

I think I'm finally getting my copy of Spider-man back from my nephew.
    Whenever I drive the 2016 Mercedes-Benz around Red Bull Ring or Suzuka on Gran Turismo Sport I never get anywhere near the times of the pros from that year even though the game treats practically every straight as a DRS zone.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Could be that your just crap :pac:

I don't deny it. For those in the know, I'm D rated with an S sportsmanship rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭pekitivey

Who fancies Max for a podium this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭colmufc

pekitivey wrote: »
    Who fancies Max for a podium this weekend?

if there anywhere near as good as last year and max starts in the top 6 then i can see him win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Have the fixed the AI? The older games got on my wick something fierce. Get rear ended by an AI and you get the drive through for cutting the track and/or causing a collision.

Its much improved over the previous games, it's easily the best one yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement