Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Marcus Ericsson is off to IndyCar next year. He will be driving full time for Schmidt Peterson Motorsport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Marcus Ericsson is off to IndyCar next year. He will be driving full time for Schmidt Peterson Motorsport.
    Surprised he lasted this long tbh, far out of his depth imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭rock22

GarIT wrote: »
    The engine they were planning to design for F1? I don't understand the question, every engineer supplier specifically designs an engine for F1.

Aston Martin buy in their engines . Why do you think they could design and build an F1 engine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

rock22 wrote: »
    GarIT wrote: »
    The engine they were planning to design for F1? I don't understand the question, every engineer supplier specifically designs an engine for F1.

Aston Martin buy in their engines . Why do you think they could design and build an F1 engine?
    Lots of options but they decided against it in the end.
    Don't take our word for it.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/132059/red-bull-absolutely-open-to-aston-engine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Just a few bits i got for myself and my nephew

rt1h5f.jpg
    2hn13bm.jpg
    sw372o.jpg
    9k8bxt.jpg

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is the Jaguar one a leather waistcoat?

antodeco wrote: »
    Is the Jaguar one a leather waistcoat?

No no, a leather jacket. Fine job it is as well.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

No no, a leather jacket. Fine job it is as well.

Sorry, I must've been partially blind. Can clearly see the sleeves!

antodeco wrote: »
    Sorry, I must've been partially blind. Can clearly see the sleeves!

I can see how you can mistake it for a waist coat, I took it that close as the camera on the phone is utterly sh1t

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dunno about you guys but I've been enjoying the f1 esports races more than a lot of the actual races this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dunno about you guys but I've been enjoying the f1 esports races more than a lot of the actual races this year.
    How does it work and where do you follow it?

Anyone got F1 2018 for the XBOX? bought it today but won't get the chance to play it until either tonight or tomorrow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

How does it work and where do you follow it?

It's been on Sky Sports F1, but they also stream live on Facebook and Youtube. Normally vods are uploaded on the esports site, but the latest ones haven't been yet. The 'live stream' is last nights races. The final race of the evening was a highlight.

It's been on Sky Sports F1, but they also stream live on Facebook and Youtube. Normally vods are uploaded on the esports site, but the latest ones haven't been yet. The 'live stream' is last nights races. The final race of the evening was a highlight.

I seen it one night on sky, it doesn't appeal to me personally but again that is just personal choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

I seen it one night on sky, it doesn't appeal to me personally but again that is just personal choice.

Same, a group of people playing F1 2018...one step higher than Xbox Live :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wonder how well Haas will be received in 'nam.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/formula1/46059476?_

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

2008 Brazilian GP being streamed on the F1 YouTube channel now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Inviere wrote: »

McLarens sim driver got the job due to winning F1 2017 I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭carloscorreia

Fernando Alonso and Jimmie Johnson to do F1/NASCAR swap

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/1058386139214680064

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Inviere wrote: »

I actually don't get "esports" and the way they are marketed like they were an actual sporting event.

Before the "you're just not familiar...", I have been a gamer sing 1985ish when I couldn't read yet, but could play with a Commodore64. To this day still play almost daily and I'm well aware of that fine line between "good player", which is a level anyone can get to with a bit of practice, and an "insanely good player", which essentially means spending weeks and months refining technique, learning strategies / tactics / ways (depending on the game).

I also know all too well how the gaming industry moves more money than Hollywood right now (it was a matter of time) and get that many businesses are trying to get a slice of it any way they can. Still, these kids may spend weeks honing their skills at F1 2018 (or whatever other game used for "eSports"), I know how actually difficult it is, kudos to them - but they're no sportspeople as they don't face any of the downsides of being an athlete; namely gureling, boring interminable training sessions in the cold& rain or under a 40c heat, injury and in case of motorsports, quite literally putting one's own life on the line.

That said, there's no denying the popularity surge the whole thing is enjoying - one thing is immediately apparent from the video linked here, there's no Ferrari esports team. I can see why they wouldn't want to associate themselves with the phenomenon (yet, I've also noticed Sauber races with the Alfa Romeo logo), but I do think it's extremely shortsighted on their part from a business / PR perspective.

Oh, and the commentators are insufferable - that Matt guy form YT just makes you want to punch the screen and...my god, Davide Valsecchi. He feckin' sounds exactly like the meme "The Italian man who went to Malta" :P:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

pjohnson wrote: »
    McLarens sim driver got the job due to winning F1 2017 I believe.

So he got the job because he’s very good at video game racing? It’s (F1 2018) not even recognized as a sim in the gaming world. There’s probably people who play actual sims who would walk all over him. Not to take anything away from him, I’m sure he’s good at what he does, but it’s a LONG long way from being anything close to a real racing driver.

I wonder are Liberty learning from FE. They streamed the full 2008 Brazil Grand Prix on Youtube.

302k views after 4 hours.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I wonder are Liberty learning from FE. They streamed the full 2008 Brazil Grand Prix on Youtube.

302k views after 4 hours.

I hope they do more.

2003 and 2012 Brazilian GPs next, please

• Advertisement

Anyone got F1 2018 for the XBOX? bought it today but won't get the chance to play it until either tonight or tomorrow.

How you finding it Deck? I'm starting mine this afternoon.

How you finding it Deck? I'm starting mine this afternoon.

Started playing it yesterday afternoon, it's more difficult than last years one, the one bit i find interesting though is the interviews & contract negotiations which weren't there in the last game. Also trying to get the hang of Paul Ricard from those bloody painted lines :rolleyes:

Have you got the steering wheel at all? Half tempted to get one.

Started playing it yesterday afternoon, it's more difficult than last years one, the one bit i find interesting though is the interviews & contract negotiations which weren't there in the last game. Also trying to get the hang of Paul Ricard from those bloody painted lines :rolleyes:

Nah just controlller.

Havent played an F1 game since F1 2009 on the PSP. :pac:

I'll probably make Sirotkin look like Hamilton ha. Gunna start at McLaren anyway I'd say.

Do it - and get a stand too; You don't need an humongous room-filling device, just a Wheel Stand Pro will work (look it up - it also folds neatly and fits in a spare closet, wheel mounted et all). Miles better than using an unsteady table/desk.

As for the game...it's good, still miles off being great, but that's what we got when it comes to F1 games. I personally don't like the whole fanfare around the career mode, interviews, minigames and such; I get they sell as kids like that.

The driving is enjoyable, compared to the older F1 201X games you can actually be aggressive and "throw" the car around. The setup process is a bit random - not everything you change on the car does what it says on the tin, plus there's no telemetry I know of straight in the game (there may be an external app, but it's too much hassle).

As it's always been the case, the biggest weakness of the game is the same of every Codemaster's F1 201X title - they AI is quite bad, regardless of what reviewers may say. CPU controlled cars move in extremely twitchy ways - you can even see thins happening to your car when the CPU takes control to line up on the grid. AI drivers also have a deathwish, and there's a general imbalance in the way they perform - too fast at some tracks, too slow at others while keeping the same difficulty level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Claire doing a clear out. Hope she is next, brings nothing to the team.
    Williams have a great past but simply can’t complete. Them and McLaren living on past history two completely useless teams both been lead by people so far out of their depth.

What’s the bets that Rob takes some time off then joins his pal in formula e.

I have a Logitech G29, it's great. I think the AI this year is miles better than previous years, but still has a way to go to be being great AI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

Had to buy this when i seen it.

25fq74i.jpg

2uy3y1j.jpg

21ki24y.jpg

kevzq0.jpg

Come on, want me to post my Indycar Shirts from the 90s?

Harika wrote: »

Yes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

This was announced at least 3 months ago. Liberty said they are sure there will be no new engine suppliers months ago. VW/Porsche stopped showing up to engine regulation meetings with the FIA during the summer if not before.

Sette Camara has joined the McLaren paddock as test/development driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Could we not have a separate thread to post pictures of your shirts and jackets? Keep this thread for talking about F1.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Could we not have a separate thread to post pictures of your shirts and jackets? Keep this thread for talking about F1.

No issue with it per se, might be best to ask a mod though. They are F1/motorsport products however.

• Advertisement

Vietnam and F1 are now hosting a race in 2020 together, track layout looks like a copy paste from other tracks but interesting.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.vietnam-to-host-formula-1-grand-prix-from-2020.5GwYlGbr56A0GCycMuUM0G.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

"It would be great to have an F1 race in Vietnam". So no one, ever.

Track looks pretty boring tbh

On the other side, it seems that Zandvoort is back for 2020 too. At least there is an offer from Liberty and Zandvoort can agree now.

Yet another pointless race on a pointless street circuit in a place where nobody has ever heard of motorsports, which only serves to add travel costs for the teams and increase budget for a season. One would have hoped this madness ended with uncle Bernie getting out of the door, but here we are again.

At this point we might as well have an Irish Grand Prix, held on a track made up of the streets of Clontarf or something like that.

Liberty are probably looking at the Nascar model with 25+ races per season, but they're failing to realize these mostly happen in the USA territory. For a globe trotting logistical nightmare like F1, 20+ races/year is a deranged quantity; Reducing that to 16-18 max would be the single most effective cost cutting measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

In all honesty I don't know that much about Vietnam apart from old war movies and the Top Gear Special a few years back. I'm intrigued as to what it will be like.

The track looks like it could potentially have a couple of overtaking opportunities, and by 2020 the cars will not be the same as now. Liberty will have had 2 years of regulations to encourage overtaking so I think it's premature to right it off as a dud just yet.

I think Liberty would do better to focus their interests into re-signing contracts with Brazil, England and Germany. All of which contracts expire at the end of next year.

HighLine wrote: »
    I think Liberty would do better to focus their interests into re-signing contracts with Brazil, England and Germany. All of which contracts expire at the end of next year.

I think they are culturally aware of the importance of those three races.

I think they are culturally aware of the importance of those three races.

I hope they are but not so sure. I found it amusing on the grid in Texas when Chase Carey didn't know how many World Championships Lewis Hamilton had.

I wonder did Liberty examine the failure of the Korean GP before deciding on a new race in Vietnam.

I do however like the sound of Zandvoort. The Dutch fans have been something of a revelation in recent years for F1.

• Advertisement

I just wish they'd ditch Barcelona at least.

Advertisement