Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

pjohnson wrote: »
    Williams are already getting all off Russell's engines for free for giving him the first seat.

Williams need actual money. Unless you expect Mercedes to start full on pay all off their staff.

For Mercedes it is small money. Don’t get me wrong its not happening but I still think Ocon would be better then RK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Williams are already getting all off Russell's engines for free for giving him the first seat.

Williams need actual money. Unless you expect Mercedes to start full on pay all off their staff.

Toto was quoted as saying he wouldn't put Ocon against Russell for a season as it is a no win for Ocon.
    If he beats Russell- ya he is supposed to.
    If he doesn't, he is finished.

Will be interesting between kubica and Russell though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

TCP/IP wrote: »
    For Mercedes it is small money. Don’t get me wrong its not happening but I still think Ocon would be better then RK.

I think what Mercedes are really afraid of is Russell upstaging Ocon if they were in the same team and both vying for a Mercedes seat in 2020, at least this way we will never know and it will be assumed Ocon is the better fit for the works team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Iirc I think Williams were also reluctant to take two Mercedes drivers especially when Ocon would only be a one year deal.

If Toto was as desperate for Ocon to be on the grid as he makes out he could just drop Bottas and give Ocon his seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

Iirc I think Williams were also reluctant to take two Mercedes drivers especially when Ocon would only be a one year deal.

If Toto was as desperate for Ocon to be on the grid as he makes out he could just drop Bottas and give Ocon his seat.

Bottas has contract and he might want to avoid a Sauber.

Harika wrote: »
    Bottas has contract and he might want to avoid a Sauber.

Drivers get dropped.

Sauber have their 3 drivers for 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

It's official, what a difference a year makes for Williams' driver lineup

https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/status/1065532044137107456

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Drivers get dropped.

Sauber have their 3 drivers for 2019?

He's referring to this

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/10/giedo-van-der-garde-wins-sauber-court-case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

mickdw wrote: »
    Toto was quoted as saying he wouldn't put Ocon against Russell for a season as it is a no win for Ocon.
    If he beats Russell- ya he is supposed to.
    If he doesn't, he is finished.

Will be interesting between kubica and Russell though.

Similar situation for Kubica though. Not much glory in beating a rookie, and if he gets beaten he looks bad. Either way it'll be hard to judge his comeback as we don't know if Russell is the next Schumacher or the next Wehrlein.

• Advertisement

Similar situation for Kubica though. Not much glory in beating a rookie, and if he gets beaten he looks bad. Either way it'll be hard to judge his comeback as we don't know if Russell is the next Schumacher or the next Wehrlein.

And if next year Williams is still a motorised shopping trolley they'll both look bad.

Apparently it was actually Sirotkins team who pulled him from Williams citing their poor performances. They want Sirotkin elsewhere.

Interesting but ratty move

https://twitter.com/hlawiczka/status/1065618494102872069

Haas saying Not Force India, didn't build their cars themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Santan

Maybe a silly question, but could Williams ever partner for a Ferrari engine, unless they move forward in the next year or 2 with Merc, would it be the worst move for them.

Is that some silly protest relating to the force India team being a different company to the current race team?

Is that some silly protest relating to the force India team being a different company to the current race team?

The chassis of not force India was build by force India and by this illegal, fia now has to decide and that is worth 50 million dollars for Haas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The chassis of not force India was build by force India and by this illegal, fia now has to decide and that is worth 50 million dollars for Haas.

$50 million. Sure aren't Rich energy ploughing money in there ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Has anyone seen anywhere that sells that energy drink?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

It was enough to make them start from zero points surely.
    I can't see Haas winning that. New force India would surely have a case against the fia seeing as they allowed them entry knowing that it was the chassis of the old team, took their entry etc and allowed them to spend a lot of cash going racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

astrofluff wrote: »
    Has anyone seen anywhere that sells that energy drink?

I think it's some sort of new company. At the time they were trying to buy Force India for £30m they were valued at £1m. Someone is trying to pump money into advertising to get it off the ground.

GarIT wrote: »
    I think it's some sort of new company. At the time they were trying to buy Force India for £30m they were valued at £1m. Someone is trying to pump money into advertising to get it off the ground.

Or just an outright scam.
    Reminds me of the mansoor ijaz quantum group nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It was enough to make them start from zero points surely.
    I can't see Haas winning that. New force India would surely have a case against the fia seeing as they allowed them entry knowing that it was the chassis of the old team, took their entry etc and allowed them to spend a lot of cash going racing.

I hope you are right. I think it is very juvenile of Haas to even try this. I hope Haas do not win this one and the Fia just drop it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

The fact is that in pure, strict technical terms, HAAS are correct - the cars ran by Not Force India were indeed built by a company that was a different one that the current.

The fact they were allowed to race is probably where this will be shut - it's not exactly the first time this happens, there have been takeovers and changes of denominations in the past - one could have argued the 2009 Brawn GP car was indeed designed and at least partly built by Honda...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Force Canada is a totally new company. Force India went into administration so a different set of circumstances. Haas are going by the book. Something should be either in compliance with the rules or not. There should not be grey areas. Force India should have sold up before they went bust but they didn't because of their dodgy owner. FIA or Liberty did a sweetheart deal with Force Canada without following proper procedures and now chickens are coming home to roost. Liberty or FIA will have to pay Haas off or risk it going to court.

I said at the time Force India should have just missed one race to get the issues sorted. They had two weeks between the race they barely managed to get to and the next.

They could have kept all of their points if they chose to miss that race and give the time needed for Stroll to buy the team properly instead of just the assets.

I said at the time Force India should have just missed one race to get the issues sorted. They had two weeks between the race they barely managed to get to and the next.

They could have kept all of their points if they chose to miss that race and give the time needed for Stroll to buy the team properly instead of just the assets.

I don't think it was that straight forward although I might be wrong.

I assume Racing Point will just demonstrate (probably via a mass of paperwork) that there was a clear legal transition of the ownership of the intellectual property between the old and new entities. Haas are clutching at straws for one reason only, cold hard cash. They are like every F1 team ever, completely incapable of separating their own self interest from anything else.

I don't think it was that straight forward although I might be wrong.

Anyone who's ever had the misfortune of dealing with Indian bureaucracy will almost certainly tell you that a week would have made no difference whatsoever. Asking more than a dozen Indian banks to agree on anything is Mission Impossible, they'd need a committee to decide whether they should form a committee to discuss should they in fact form a committee to discuss the actual issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

skipper_G wrote: »
    Anyone who's ever had the misfortune of dealing with Indian bureaucracy will almost certainly tell you that a week would have made no difference whatsoever. Asking more than a dozen Indian banks to agree on anything is Mission Impossible, they'd need a committee to decide whether they should form a committee to discuss should they in fact form a committee to discuss the actual issue

You mean like our own Government :pac::pac:

Back on topic,
    I suppose Haas are right to do what they are doing.

The Haas case has been thrown out and pirelli is to be announced as tyre supplier for the next years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Advertisement

Jenson Button is joining Sky's presenting lineup for every race next season. Maybe they'll get rid of Herbert now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Jenson Button is joining Sky's presenting lineup for every race next season. Maybe they'll get rid of Herbert now

Don't know how that's supposed to work when he's signed to do the rest of the WEC season with SMP. The Australian GP clashes with Sebring..

Don't know how that's supposed to work when he's signed to do the rest of the WEC season with SMP. The Australian GP clashes with Sebring..

I just reread it, he's joining the presenting team but not specifically for every race. I think maybe I picked up one of Sky's subliminal messages of every race live blah blah by mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I just reread it, he's joining the presenting team but not specifically for every race. I think maybe I picked up one of Sky's subliminal messages of every race live blah blah by mistake

Sky said he "will see an increased role with Sky F1 during coverage of all 21 races next year." So that might mean some prerecorded stuff.

11 Titles, 3 cars, 1 farewell

https://streamable.com/yr02j

Adios Alonso!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Channel 4 team photograph from this morning.

Ds2LhqoX4AIXJci.jpg

Fleetwood Mac who have the F1 theme song for Channel 4 have it on sale in a 3 CD set celebrating 50 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Congratulations to them.
    Channel 4 consistently outperformed Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Are Channel 4 still doing highlights next year?

Thought I heard that earlier this year?

Dunno what I'll do now that eir sport won't have coverage next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Are Channel 4 still doing highlights next year?

Thought I heard that earlier this year?

Dunno what I'll do now that eir sport won't have coverage next year.
    Think they have highlights for every race, and full coverage for the British GP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.channel4.com/4viewers/blog/formula-1-coverage-update

Yes that's the deal, qualifying and race highlights for every race except British GP which will be live.

It's a pity, I will miss KC and his insights during practice.

I suppose we are very lucky to get free access to any of the C4 coverage.

They really are a dream team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

C4 coverage is the best, hands down. Even with Steve and his cringey presenting it's still the best.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,442 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The C4 coverage will be badly missed and its sad that its ending. I would love to be able to watch next season live on C4 as it sounds like it could be really exciting year but instead I will just watch the highlights after it has been recorded so I can skip the adds.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I much prefer Sky to C4. I can't stand Jones, Wolf, Coulthard or Chandhook.

I could take or leave Wolf, but I think Coulthard is as good as his sky counterpart and Jones and Chandok are vastly superior. I thought Steve Jones was terrible when he started but he really grew into the role. I could see how maybe you could dislike his personality, but at least he has one. Lazenby seems like he'd be more suited to being an accountant, or bank manager perhaps.

Bring back the likes of Jim Rosenthal, Mark Blundell, Tony Jardine & Louise Goodman, Simon Taylor is a good commentator also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Jones is an oddball but he isn't afraid to slag himself and generally is far better then that guy on Sky. He has a bit of personality about him which works.

Wolff just rambles on for ages and doesn't make any point. Think she is afraid to offer an opinion because of her Surname.

Coulthard is very good. Him and Webber are a good double act.

Chandhok and Lee McKenzie are excellent. Proper insight and the interviews they do are generally very good.

Only part of sky coverage I like is the notebook. It's a little bit different and you get a bit of insight into what goes on after a Qualy and the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

One key name you are all missed in comparison is Ben Edwards.
    Between him and David Croft, there is no comparison. Ben has been involved in F1 commentary since the mid 90s with Eurosport and is a Motorsports commentator through and through. (Crofty does darts, Darts I ask you) we can compare the pre and post race coverage all we want but when it comes down to the event itself, the lead commentator is the crucial role and Ben can't be touched.

flazio wrote: »
    Between him and David Croft, there is no comparison. Ben has been involved in F1 commentary since the mid 90s with Eurosport and is a Motorsports commentator through and through. (Crofty does darts, Darts I ask you) we can compare the pre and post race coverage all we want but when it comes down to the event itself, the lead commentator is the crucial role and Ben can't be touched.

Was Ben Edwards ever approached by Sky prior to preparing for 2012?

flazio wrote: »

Ben > Croft
    Brundle > DC
    Ben+DC > Croft+Brundle
    Eddie > Whoever at Sky. Like when he jumped across the Ferrari? barrier to catch the boss, cannot remember the specific occurrence

Was not that but he was hilarious

Eddie is so bad he's good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement