Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir and Sky switching problem

Options
  • 01-12-2017 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I've been with Sky a few years and was in contract until the middle of next year. I got an email telling me they were increasing the price on the broadband and tv and if I wanted to cancel my contract to phone before the date of the increase.

So I found a good deal with Eir and rang them about it. The guy on the phone told me that when the engineer came out he would have a form for me to send to Sky to cancel my contract and not to ring them to cancel or they'd keep me on the phone for ages and try and make it difficult to cancel. He was very insistant about that and said it a couple of times. The engineer was out today and I had someone stay in the house to let him in. He didn't leave the form so I rang Eir to ask for it and the person said that there was no such form and to ring Sky to cancel.

I rang Sky and they cancelled the broadband and phone but said they couldn't cancel the TV as the price increase was less than 10% on the TV contract, which I renewed when I upgraded to Q, so I was locked into the TV contract for another 6 months. He asked why I didn't ring to cancel beforehand and I said that Eir had told me not to. He said that they've had a lot of calls like this. He said that the guy on the phone would have known well that there was no such form because you can't cancel the Sky TV contract in writing, you have to ring Sky to cancel over the phone. So now I have 4 TV boxes, one of which doesn't work because the second sky box comes in through the Sky modem. Plus half the channels on the second Eir box are saying I don't have a subscription for them including all the BBC channels and ones I paid extra to upgrade to.

The guy I was talking to in Sky said if I cancelled Eir I would be without phone or broadband while they got everything transferred back to them. So he said it would take a few days for the phone to switch over, and that he would keep an eye on the account and when it did he would ring me to ring Eir for some number that he could use to switch everything back straight away. So I wouldn't have to be without the phone or broadband.

So I'm fuming. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mkov

they don't like people calling because if they try to switch and sky cancels your broadband that would be a problem. I would go as far away from Sky as possible. Never heard of a rule that if the price increase is less than 10% ... I would recommend sending an email to Comreg, they are pretty useless when it comes to getting involved in disputes, but they are fairly fast and handy for advice.

If I were you I would keep Eir and cancel TV and just send stuff back to sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The Eir telesales team dont want you calling Sky to cancel as then Sky will put you onto their loyalty team who will do their level best to keep you. So a sale becomes a recontracting with the competitor.

That said, the order to move phone and broadband would nuke your account in Skys systems anyways as they lose ownership of the line/UAN.

Letting the line move and then moving it back is the correct way to maintain service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I rang Sky and they cancelled the broadband and phone but said they couldn't cancel the TV as the price increase was less than 10% on the TV contract, :

Have sky put in their contract that they can increase a price by up to 10% without changing the terms of the contract? It wouldnt surprise me, but by right, if a price changes by even 1 cent then they have broken the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Chloedancer

Thanks. I checked with comreg and they said they have no remit in this area. The man from Sky never rang back yesterday. Not really surprised. So I rang Sky today and they did a line check and found that there's fibre coming in to the house which they had said wasnt there when I originally signed up for Sky Q 6 months ago. So they've upgraded me to that and taken €20 off the bill.

I looked through the contract and it does say that they are allowed to increase the price once by up to 10% during the minimum term without a breach of contract.

The broadband from Eir went down all day Sunday and again yesterday and was off all day today again. I logged a fault with Eir on Sunday and another about the channels I paid extra for and am not getting and I'm still waiting for them to call back. So their customer service has been terrible as well as everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,020 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If there was actually fibre coming in to the house, you'd have known as the install is disruptive, and you switch entirely - not a quick upgrade. Most "fibre" products are VDSL - fibre to a cabinet, the old copper wires from there to the house - and its entirely plausible that your cabinet was upgraded in the last 6 months and hence the "fibre" product wasn't available.

Virgin's "fibre" is also copper to toe house albeit much better quality copper and hence 3.6x faster than the fastest that "efibre" can do. The more limited locations with actual fibre to the house get 3x+ the speed again of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I looked through the contract and it does say that they are allowed to increase the price once by up to 10% during the minimum term without a breach of contract.

The broadband from Eir went down all day Sunday and again yesterday and was off all day today again. I logged a fault with Eir on Sunday and another about the channels I paid extra for and am not getting and I'm still waiting for them to call back. So their customer service has been terrible as well as everything else.

They can put what they want in their T+Cs, doesn't necessarily make it legal. Although they'd probably argue that you agreed to it when you signed up.
    Unfortunately Sky and Eir are two of the worst companies for customer service I've ever dealt with. They'll both outright lie to you.

Advertisement