Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 AXA Raheny 5

Options
  • 01-12-2017 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi folks

Entry Open for 2018 AXA Raheny 5 taking place on 28 January.

Logon to www.rahenyshamrock.ie to enter.

Entry for Juvenile races open on race day!

Facebook page - @axaraheny5

Twitter- @axaraheny5

Any questions emails to info@ rahenyshamrock.ie please as I will not be monitoring this page.

thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Cheers, just signed up, such a fantastic race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »
    Cheers, just signed up, such a fantastic race.

I signed up last week, really looking forward to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great race, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

I'm in, and doing the race number on the day... Playing my part :)

pac_man wrote: »
    Is the course still the same as a few years ago? You hit a hill coming off the coast road (Watermill road?) that's around 4 miles in.

Last year (and I think the year before) it ran into the park instead of the coast road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

RayCun wrote: »
    Last year (and I think the year before) it ran into the park instead of the coast road

Wasn't that because of road works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Wasn't that because of road works?

Yes, but I think the road works were to narrow the road and add a 2 lane cycle path meaning that it is no longer feasible to run that section of the race along the hard shoulder. In some ways, its a pity because it was the traditional course but the new course is definitely flatter and faster. If only they could get rid of the 180 turn in the park

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭purelike

That hairpin is tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

purelike wrote: »
    That hairpin is tough.

Almost as tough as the seemingly never-ending (less than a mile) drag up to the turn.....but then I suppose we get to fly back down the way we came

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Duanington wrote: »
    Almost as tough as the seemingly never-ending (less than a mile) drag up to the turn.....but then I suppose we get to fly back down the way we came

I think it can be more disheartening watching the fast runners whizzing down the other side as you're starting the drag. Trick of course is to just keep focusing on what's in front :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hubbie told me yesterday that he has us registered!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Won't be doing it this year. Its a great race with a sugar over load goody bag afterwards!

Just giving this a bump.

Probably my favourite race of the year, along with Dunboyne, Dunsaughlin the Strawberry and Frank Duffy.

Always a great field of runners, from the elites to the Fun day runners.

the Strawberry? Cad é?

purelike wrote: »
    the Strawberry? Cad é?

Strawberry Half Marathon, June, Eniscorthy. Though but very scenic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looking forward to this.

+1 on that. Worth it alone for the shopping bag full of sweets afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Has anybody seen the route for this years race?? I hear there is a slight change to the previous two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

AAD wrote: »
    Has anybody seen the route for this years race?? I hear there is a slight change to the previous two years.

Spot on, it has been announced. It will only be my 2nd Raheny run so not sure if it’s a good change or not.

http://rahenyshamrock.ie/?p=2441

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The race will start as normal on All Saints park and takes its usual left hand turn down All Saints Saint Road and onto Watermill road.

The race will then turn left onto Watermill drive at the junction between Scoil Ide and Raheny Garda Station, the race than progresses past the start finish area turning left onto Wades Avenue (One Mile Marker).

The moves down Wades avenue and right up along All Saints Road, then moving onto the Howth Road for a short stretch then moving left onto Vernon avenue, past the two mile marker, then turning left onto Mount Prospect avenue.

Runners then continue down Mount Prospect avenue past the three mile marker before moving into St. Anne’s Park, with a back loop in the main avenue of St. Anne’s Park.

The race then moves throw St. Anne’s Park before turning left onto All Saints Road into the final 400 metres moving right onto Wades Avenue and then finishing as normal on All Saints Park.

Raheny18Map.png

• Advertisement

Ill be on the Race number collection on Sunday from early on in Scoil Aine.

Can people try to have their race number available when getting up the Desks, it just speeds up the whole collection process.

Queues tend to build from 1:30 until about 2:40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

One update - the map is correct but the wording is incorrect.

The race will start as normal on All Saints park and takes its usual left hand turn down All Saints Saint Road and onto Watermill road.

The race will then turn left onto All Saints Drive not Watermill Drive, at the junction between Scoil Ide and Raheny Garda Station, the race than progresses past the start finish area turning left onto Wades Avenue (One Mile Marker).

Can anyone tell me if it still runs up Sybil hill rd? According to the map it seems to but it's not mentioned in that text.

Can anyone tell me if it still runs up Sybil hill rd? According to the map it seems to but it's not mentioned in that text.

runs down Sybill Hill Road

RayCun wrote: »
    runs down Sybill Hill Road

Haha, oh yeah. So it does then?

Haha, oh yeah. So it does then?

don't know :D

er, even if we discount the map, I think it has to, the only ways to run on Vernon Avenue would involve adding either a lot of distance or an out-and-back

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

It runs down Sybil Hill Road, which changes its name to Vernon Avenue at some point, so the text would read better as:

"The race moves down Wades avenue and right up along All Saints Road, then moving onto the Howth Road for a short stretch then moving left onto Sybil Hill Road / Vernon avenue, past the two mile marker, then turning left onto Mount Prospect avenue."

Will you be taking a few snaps as per usual eoinín ?

Some great ones from the start (and rest of the race obviously :p) last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Will you be taking a few snaps as per usual eoin?

Some great ones from the start (and rest of the race obviously :p) last year...

That's the plan! Everyone needs to smile as they cross the finish line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good luck to all racing tomorrow, won't make it myself this year unfortunately. I suspect the course is a bit faster this year with those changes, fingers crossed on the weather front!

Advertisement