Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 AXA Raheny 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

How fecked am I?

I can't find my race number. I've searched everywhere. I have a horrible feeling I left it in work and the office is locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    How fecked am I?

I can't find my race number. I've searched everywhere. I have a horrible feeling I left it in work and the office is locked up.

Did you pick it up today? Raheny is a pick-up affair. Even if you already picked it up and left it somewhere, I'm sure if you show up early enough tomorrow they'll sort you out.

Singer wrote: »
    Did you pick it up today? Raheny is a pick-up affair. Even if you already picked it up and left it somewhere, I'm sure if you show up early enough tomorrow they'll sort you out.

No, I paid to have it posted out to me. I got it last week in the post.

Thanks for the reply. Ive contacted them on FB so am hoping for a reply but will head out early tomorrow too.

I contacted them on their Facebook page and they thankfully told me there is a helpdesk I can go to tomorrow to get a replacement. Phew!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Is this a championship race for club runners?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't think so but there is a team element to the race for club teams.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't think so but there is a team element to the race for club teams.

Ah grand. Just heard someone refer to it as the first championship race of the year and my OH who wasn't planning to run nearly had a seizure! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck everyone running today. Missing it for the first time since making my debut in 2013. Course changes should help. Lots of PBs to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

It's a bit blowy here this morning, hopefully won't be to bad come 3pm

1st race this year, so I'll be happy to get round in reasonable time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of luck gang. Happy running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

As always, a great race from Raheny!

Happy with my run today & well organised as always

Downside was my goody bag wasn't as good as usual :(

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Is there some AAI by-law that requires manky cheesy crisps in the Raheny race bag every year!!

Preferred the slight change of route, always hated that main road.

You got cheesy crisps?? I got 3 different types of water & a protein bar

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I got a bag of protein crisps, three bottles of water (one of which was busted and had the bag soaked) and two Lucozade gels. The bag has definitely gone down hill.

The course change was much better than I expected, I thought it would be congested until we were back on the Howth road but it wasn’t too busy at all from the start to finish.

Another plaque to the collection and another good race by Raheny Shamrocks, well done to them and all the volunteers out and around the course.

AAD wrote: »
    I got a bag of protein crisps, three bottles of water (one of which was busted and had the bag soaked) and two Lucozade gels. The bag has definitely gone down hill.

The course change was much better than I expected, I thought it would be congested until we were back on the Howth road but it wasn’t too busy at all from the start to finish.

Another plaque to the collection and another good race by Raheny Shamrocks, well done to them and all the volunteers out and around the course.

I got way more than that. Can't comment on previous years as it was my first. I got 3 bags of crisps, biscuits, bars, big cookie, water, lucozade, bcaa drink and a few gels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Where was the chocolate in the bag? Too much protein sheite in it for my liking!

Great race though, brilliant atmosphere from everyone around as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Where was the chocolate in the bag? Too much protein sheite in it for my liking!

Great race though, brilliant atmosphere from everyone around as well.

The ginger/chocolate biscuits were really good though. I managed to grab one before the family hoovered them.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

There's some finish line photos here, with loads more to follow in the next day or 2:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/sets/72157668964095999/with/39240851444/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Super pics, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

eoinín wrote: »
    That's the plan! Everyone needs to smile as they cross the finish line!

Yeah, I failed at the smiling at the finish.

I'm delighted with the race though, I may have previously mentioned I found it very warm and miles 3&4 were tough but thrilled with that.

A great race, thanks to Raheny and all volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

aquinn wrote: »
    Yeah, I failed at the smiling at the finish.

I'm delighted with the race though, I may have previously mentioned I found it very warm and miles 3&4 were tough but thrilled with that.

A great race, thanks to Raheny and all volunteers.

Yes, I thought I was the only one. I did have a long sleeve top on but dont normally get that warm, time to move to a singlet I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Well done all at Raheny, well organised and, from where I was, the change in route worked out fine.

My only gripe: next year I hope there'll be goodie bags with less "protein-" and more "chocolate-": I missed the post-race junk! (Fortunately I got in early to the clubhouse afters and hoovered up the nice Fox's chocolate biscuits.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

People using the walkers start to get a head start and then attempting to run it anyway :mad:

Came by 2 ladies at 3.5 miles. It's cheating simple as :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

People using the walkers start to get a head start and then attempting to run it anyway :mad:

There was some amount of people cheating by cutting every corner by running on the path, where I was I was the only one on the road turning onto Sybil hill road.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Annoying alright. The first woman to finish yesterday jogged in ahead of Anne Marie McGlynn, probably having started with the walkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    There was some amount of people cheating by cutting every corner by running on the path, where I was I was the only one on the road turning onto Sybil hill road.

You did yourself out of a few seconds there. Course is measured on the path there. They changed this 2 years ago because so many people were cutting it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I don't understand what they would gain though? Would they not be chip timed anyway or gun time would be finish time +15/20 mins.
    Only thing they could gain would be a cleared road but I wouldn't fancy the fast runners gaining on me and passing me like a herd of antelope!

I'd be more annoyed at walkers starting with the runners and near to the front. I met 3 or 4 ladies walking abreast at one of the first corners and I started a fair bit down the running field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

You did yourself out of a few seconds there. Course is measured on the path there. They changed this 2 years ago because so many people were cutting it anyway.

Damn ;)

Although the point stands at the other corners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I don't understand what they would gain though? Would they not be chip timed anyway or gun time would be finish time +15/20 mins.
    Only thing they could gain would be a cleared road but I wouldn't fancy the fast runners gaining on me and passing me like a herd of antelope!

I'd be more annoyed at walkers starting with the runners and near to the front. I met 3 or 4 ladies walking abreast at one of the first corners and I started a fair bit down the running field.

I would go so far as to say they would lose out, if I was on my own on the course, it would be a glorified training run.

Sure the odd person will annoy you on the first mile but the adrenaline and buzz comes from the race scenario.

Advertisement