Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just discovered integrated seat posts :(

Options
  • 01-12-2017 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭

Just got my new Eddy Merckx Mourenx Ultegra 69

Lovely bike. Feels like the seat could be a bit higher, too much work going into the quads here.

But look and behold I'm delivered right into the 21st century, I can't even adjust my seat! Why would they do this to me?

Anyone know how to get around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

There should be a small grub screw on the back of the seat tube (see below).

rwks9d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Are you sure that's an integrated seatpost??.... if so they normally come with shims for a bit of adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Appears to have no grub screw...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

ISP’s are usually a continuation of the seat tube. Yours clearly isn’t.

From google: The top tube is vaguely triangular and flat on top, and the seatpost is thick and squared off, with a set screw for height adjustments built straight into the top tube.

I think it might be an Eddy Merckx thing.

I actually can't believe Im not able to do something as simple as raise my seat. No warning about it either.

Sent wiggle an email for advice. Will send this back if I have to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

site_owner wrote: »

I've got that alright. Removed it this morning but nothing moved. Will try again now.

Removed that little one but again was not able to move the seatpost. Can't think what else that screw could be for mind you..

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I've got that alright. Removed it this morning but nothing moved. Will try again now.

Spray a little wd40 around the base of the seat post.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

The site I got the photo from listed it as the seat post clamp so I'd say its just stiff. As mentioned above, give it some lubrication and then try working it loose gently

• Advertisement

That's gotta be it then. I'll get some wd40 in the morning and give it a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's gotta be it then. I'll get some wd40 in the morning and give it a go

Ah for god's sake, wouldya not do it now? I'm dying to see how they work!

😂

I've no wd40!

Could this work??

And...we are DONE.

I put the lube on and still couldn't pull the seat up. In the end I turned the bike upside down, stuck my two feet on the underside of the seat and pulled the bike up by the frame with both arms. Then I hear a sudden scrape and Bam, it moved

In a bizarre stroke of luck it moved up the exact distance I wanted.

Thanks lads. I'm off to Wicklow tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

It might work too well as in you might not be able to stop it slipping once you set it at the right height. You could of course take the seat post out completely and fully clean the oil off there and off the seat tube before putting it back. WD40 is a solvent so should dry off once exposed to air. Most manufacturers and bike shops use a special paste where carbon seat posts meet carbon frames to prevent slipping.

Just saw your last post. I would try it out locally on a few bumps before heading into the depths of Wicklow and finding your knees up at chin level��

I used a very small amount of lubricant but it didn't get down into it so I'd say that's ok. I just went for a spin round the phoenix park and it was ok. Wondering now if I need to do anything to secure it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

That scrape sounds like the bolt that wasn't loosened. Some of the Merxc bikes have 2 screws. Hopefully wiggle provide some detail for you and glad you got it to move but be careful it's not damaged.

And...we are DONE.

I put the lube on and still couldn't pull the seat up. In the end I turned the bike upside down, stuck my two feet on the underside of the seat and pulled the bike up by the frame with both arms. Then I hear a sudden scrape and Bam, it moved

In a bizarre stroke of luck it moved up the exact distance I wanted.

Thanks lads. I'm off to Wicklow tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You put the screw back in, right?

That scrape sounds like the bolt that wasn't loosened. Some of the Merxc bikes have 2 screws. Hopefully wiggle provide some detail for you and glad you got it to move but be careful it's not damaged.

No it's fine I think. The bolt was loosened and I think the scrape is just because the seatpost was stuck fast in it's position. The square shape employed is weird, I would have gone circle so you can twist it. It wasn't a loud scrape anyway and definitely from all around the post not just one part

Put the screw back in alright!

• Advertisement

The advantage of a non round post is that you don't have to worry about getting your saddle straight left to right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

If the post does slip back into the frame and you don't have carbon paste, you can use hairspray. Spray some on the post before you fit it, let it dry and then refit. Works a treat!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Was out (on foot) on the strand road near sandymount earlier and was passed by a cyclist on a black merckx, I think a mourenx. Wouldn't happen to have been you?

Was out (on foot) on the strand road near sandymount earlier and was passed by a cyclist on a black merckx, I think a mourenx. Wouldn't happen to have been you?

It can only have been me :)

Just before I had go to to sandymount I had been fixing the seat a couple of times. I had to tighten really strong which made me nervous as it's carbon etc but it finally settled.

Did a good 42k coastal cycle and met the wife in the pigeon house in delgany. Had planned to cycle home again but because I don't have proper cycling shoes one of my feet was hurting bad so I took a lift home.

Photo attached below

Stopped near Dalkey to stretch the legs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Tut tut... drivetrain should be facing out for the photo... very disappointing!! ;)

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Tut tut... drivetrain should be facing out for the photo... very disappointing!! ;)
    More importantly, that lovely new paintwork is leaning against a rough stone bollard :eek: :D

It can only have been me :)

Just before I had go to to sandymount I had been fixing the seat a couple of times. I had to tighten really strong which made me nervous as it's carbon etc but it finally settled.

You need to get carbon paste. Over tightening the post could stress or fracture the seat post or seat tube. I wouldn’t ride it any more till you get the paste, a hard bump on the road is all it takes to crack the post/tube if it’s been overtightened.

With proper carbon paste 5Nm will hold it perfectly tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

You need to get carbon paste. Over tightening the post could stress or fracture the seat post or seat tube. I wouldn’t ride it any more till you get the paste, a hard bump on the road is all it takes to crack the post/tube if it’s been overtightened.

With proper carbon paste 5Nm will hold it perfectly tight.
    Cee Jay is right... get the paste and you’ll get a second chance at the photo shoot!(seriously tho get the paste!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Nice bike. Reflectors off and bottle cages on!

Advertisement