Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

brexit

• 02-12-2017 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Only way to end this current impasse if the UK government are really serious about brexit...have a vote across the WHOLE island of Ireland on a united Ireland. if the vote passes and i'd assume it would, then let a united ireland come into being. As for the unionists, then tough that's democracy if you want a brexit then someone has to lose out. if there is civil unrest then the UK governement should assist the Irish government in quashing any such protests/violence. Maybe offer repatriations to Britain if those who find living in a united Ireland intolerable but after that democracy of the Irish people has spoken

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

lel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It’s past my bedtime. You really should get some sleep too OP. Goodnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

How do you suppose we'll supply all of our new northern citizens with jobs when they no longer have cushy numbers sitting in offices owned and operated by the British government in the "department of having a job for the sake of it NI"?

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Whats Brexit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Only way to end this current impasse if the UK government are really serious about brexit...have a vote across the WHOLE island of Ireland on a united Ireland. if the vote passes and i'd assume it would, then let a united ireland come into being. As for the unionists, then tough that's democracy if you want a brexit then someone has to lose out. if there is civil unrest then the UK governement should assist the Irish government in quashing any such protests/violence. Maybe offer repatriations to Britain if those who find living in a united Ireland intolerable but after that democracy of the Irish people has spoken

People in the republic should only be allowed to vote on whether the north can join Ireland. That should come after the people in the north vote if they actually want to join us. It would be daft to allow people from another country to vote on whether a seperate state should join them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Dustin had a good comment about the north recently
    We don't want them, the Brits don't want them and they don't want each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I think the Shinners should negotiate a border poll based on the Ch. 4 border maps.

The E.U. and Britain will both be off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Did the UK government take the good Friday agreement into account when they sanctioned the Brexit referendum? They have ****ed themselves majorly with all this and we have a negotiating hand that 12 months ago we could only have dreamed of. it boils down to, what do they want more, Brexit or a UK with NI?

nullzero wrote: »
    How do you suppose we'll supply all of our new northern citizens with jobs when they no longer have cushy numbers sitting in offices owned and operated by the British government in the "department of having a job for the sake of it NI"?

Offer to retrain and upskill? Something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a UI will be the best thing to ever happen to this country. it was meant to be, it is meant to be, it is going to happen, we have a duty to submit to it.
    we are better together, and a UI will have more opportunities for foreign investment and job creation.
    brexit is a sham caused by a small minority and it will backfire. the brexiters deserve every bit of misery they are going to get.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

To anyone who craves a United Ireland(and I`m not one of them) Brexit has been the biggest gift on a plate that you could have possibly hoped for, in fact now I think its an inevitability as long as our politicians are not stupid enough to feck it up, which i think is very possible given the hopeless cases we have representing us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Quite a percentage of northerners voted for the neanderthals in the DUP.

Don't want them here tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Maybe if the right deal was struck and the Unionists retained de facto autonomy within a UI then the whole thing would settle down, let's face it their paramilitary elements wouldn't stand much of a chance in a unified state, they were propped up by the U.K's secret services and were inept at the sort of serious terrorism the 'Ra were capable of. I just can't see them having the capabilities to carry out an ETA style campaign.

It's not beyond possibility to retain Stormont and the Northern Assembly within a UI, plus also get the E.U and the U.K as a parting shot to heavily invest in the place as well as transferring government departments up there.

Why let a few crazies dictate what the whole island of Ireland wants for its future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Offer to retrain and upskill? Something like that

You mean like FAS?..that turned out well.

For example, approx 15% of people in the ROI work in the civil service - this is already too many. In NI this figure stands at 31%... you would effectively almost double the civil service over night.

NI is a burden this country unfortunately cannot afford. But why let facts stand in the way of your ramble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

Ifrc NI is a net beneficiary of 6+BN GBP each year from UK treasury.

Do you think we can afford to pump that much into NI??? What would we have to give up for that....public hospitals...schools....army...gardai...

If the standard of living is not at least the same for the NI pre/post uk there will be civil war up there again. Just because theres been a peace agreement doesnt mean that all the paramilitaries have gone away.

Place is still a bomb waiting to go off.

What they should do is let NI become its own state & stay part of EU. They’ll come begging to be part of a United Ireland in a few years then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Maybe start with the counties let them vote individually. If a majority in derry let say for example decided to join the roi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

NI should be an autonomous region within Ireland. Alternatively we could do some ethnic cleansing on the prods.

Mod: Banned

Ahh, sure they can bring back the black'n'tans, at the invitation of the Irish government. Grand.

OP... Your idea of democracy is just a wee bit warped.

a UI will be the best thing to ever happen to this country. it was meant to be, it is meant to be, it is going to happen, we have a duty to submit to it.

For once, I'd love to see some decent research/evidence that unifying Ireland wouldn't destroy the Republic economically (without the EU bailing us out). NI has been constantly supported by the British government, and the economy in the Republic, while recovering, isn't even close to being able to properly provide for its current population.

Care to provide some details to support your belief? (reputable articles, stats, projections, analysis...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I think all the studies and reports in the world would not stop the huge uproar that would occur if there was to be any question (threat) of a united Ireland.

that said.. I heard a guy who said he was from a Unionist background, interviewed on Radio Foyle a few months ago... and he said he had voted for Sinn Fein, because they seemed to be the only party who were fighting the cuts to benefits that the British government were introducing. This guy claimed that the DUP were failing the Unionist population of Ulster and that they were existing in a bubble up in Stormount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Even without the economic issues. I reckon the only people with an appetite for a united Ireland or hard-line republicans. Most people from the north I've met are moderate in their views and probably see joining the republic as needless disruption. They're probably better of being subsidised by a big country like the UK than Ireland.
    Maybe if the UKs 50bn parting gift was injected into the north and the whole country's healthcare system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

doylefe wrote: »
    NI should be an autonomous region within Ireland. Alternatively we could do some ethnic cleansing on the prods.

Mod: Banned
    And they wonder why majority of Protestants in Ulster are against it, jeeze. As for Brexit, it is up to the ROI on what the border looks like. As I have said for months, it will be a no deal, which means a hard border will be enacted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I think all the studies and reports in the world would not stop the huge uproar that would occur if there was to be any question (threat) of a united Ireland.

that said.. I heard a guy who said he was from a Unionist background, interviewed on Radio Foyle a few months ago... and he said he had voted for Sinn Fein, because they seemed to be the only party who were fighting the cuts to benefits that the British government were introducing. This guy claimed that the DUP were failing the Unionist population of Ulster and that they were existing in a bubble up in Stormount.
    Well either he is a nationalist pretending to be a Unionist or he is an idiot because Sinn Fein for years have been fighting cuts in the South while implementing them here in NI. So he is just not clued up on that issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Well either he is a nationalist pretending to be a Unionist or he is an idiot because Sinn Fein for years have been fighting cuts in the South while implementing them here in NI. So he is just not clued up on that issue.

SF did a U-turn on the Welfare Reform bill in 2015 because they believed that the DUP had acted in bad faith. They said that they were 'reneging on their commitments to protect the most vulnerable..'

Of course this was all a major crisis as it threatened the Stormount Agreement. The SDLP were also backing SF's position on welfare reform at the time.

That guy could well have been a republican pretending to be a loyalist, there is no way of telling on live radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

And they wonder why majority of Protestants in Ulster are against it, jeeze. As for Brexit, it is up to the ROI on what the border looks like. As I have said for months, it will be a no deal, which means a hard border will be enacted.

What? They are against it because one idiot, in one post, in one thread, on one website said something stupid that no one else has agreed with or endorsed? Talk about snowflakes.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Why? They’re no better or worse than FF or FG (flag waving aside)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

twinytwo wrote: »
    You mean like FAS?..that turned out well.

For example, approx 15% of people in the ROI work in the civil service - this is already too many. In NI this figure stands at 31%... you would effectively almost double the civil service over night.

NI is a burden this country unfortunately cannot afford. But why let facts stand in the way of your ramble.

this country can easily afford NI. it would be no burdin at all and ultimately a UI is going to happen whether people want it or not. britain and the EU will make things difficult for us if needs be, to insure it does.

it's not up to ireland as ireland won't be implementing it. britain wants it so it will be implementing it if it wants it badly enough.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

There's Brexit threads in both Politics and Politics Cafe. None in AH please.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement