Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer expects me to use my car for extra work duties.

Options
  • 02-12-2017 4:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

I use my car to get to work on a daily basis, I have no issue with that... From time to time I will be asked to cover for employees (holiday relief and support) in different locations around the country. I oblige and get paid a little extra for the milage as I use my own car to get around the dfiferent county's. It does not state on my contract that I have to have my own car for work duties. I get to my usual place of employment. Currently my employer wants to give some employees that have the same role as me a pay increase and others in the same role no increase, me included. Would I be in my rights to refuse to cover other locations and tell them I want to use my car to get to my usual place of work only?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Not really. You set a precedent by accepting mileage in exchange for use of your car for business purposes.

The real issue is the lack of payrise. If he's giving a payrise to all full-time employees but not part-time, or to all men but not women, you'd have grounds to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

Tenigate wrote: »
    Not really. You set a precedent by accepting mileage in exchange for use of your car for business purposes.

The real issue is the lack of payrise. If he's giving a payrise to all full-time employees but not part-time, or to all men but not women, you'd have grounds to complain.

Somebody who actually knows what they're talking about will be on shortly. Hold tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Tenigate wrote: »

I am doing them a favour by travelling around different locations at my expense then claiming back the milage.

With regards to the payrise for some , my coworkers around the country do the same role primary. We all have different and extra addons to our roles over the years to suit our customers needs . The company looks at one aspect of our role and compares ,giving a rise to the ones that are busier in that one aspect and not rewarding extra for the other add on duties. Which is why I want to stop using my car for these add on jobs.That's why I feeling a bit grieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Have you told your insurance company that you are using your car for work purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

irishgeo wrote: »
    Have you told your insurance company that you are using your car for work purposes.

In the OP's case is this use even classed as work purposes? To me it seems he is using the car to travel to and from a place of work, albeit the place varies from time to time. It's not as if he's delivering goods or actually using the vehicle in the course of the employer's business. Just travelling to work and back, as most of us do on a private policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

shaunr68 wrote: »
    In the OP's case is this use even classed as work purposes? To me it seems he is using the car to travel to and from a place of work, albeit the place varies from time to time. It's not as if he's delivering goods or actually using the vehicle in the course of the employer's business. Just travelling to work and back, as most of us do on a private policy.

+1 he's not using it for work duties. He's using it to get to work.
    His travel issue is he's being asked to work in sites that aren't his normal place of work. From his post I can't see that his employer would care how he gets to these sites. I.e. He can get a bus and it'll have no impact on the employer as long as he gets in on time.

So if that's an issue that's what he needs to discuss. What does your contact say op about having to work in other sites?
    Also make sure you're getting the right milage

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/travel-and-subsistence/business-journeys.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Better to be direct. Ask for a raise. If they say no then say you need a better mileage rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Better to be direct. Ask for a raise. If they say no then say you need a better mileage rate.

I was thinking that too. By refusing this all of a sudden it may be obvious that this is over the pay rise question. Its less confrontational to just ask for the rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

+1 he's not using it for work duties. He's using it to get to work.
    His travel issue is he's being asked to work in sites that aren't his normal place of work. From his post I can't see that his employer would care how he gets to these sites. I.e. He can get a bus and it'll have no impact on the employer as long as he gets in on time.

So if that's an issue that's what he needs to discuss. What does your contact say op about having to work in other sites?
    Also make sure you're getting the right milage

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/travel-and-subsistence/business-journeys.aspx

If your getting paid Mileage then yes you are using it for work duties and yes the employer is legally responsible for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭irishgeo

CLASS 2 – BUSINESS USE
    This covers the vehicle in connection with your job such as driving to different sites from your place of work.

i think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Paudee wrote: »
    Somebody who actually knows what they're talking about will be on shortly. Hold tight.

You just missed him.
    I didn't know post count mattered to people but if your goal is to increase it by posting useless crap, mission accomplished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Have a look at your contract. I think you will find it that there is a paragraph that states the employer can ask you to work in different locations as required by the business.

What they are doing by paying you the mileage is compensating you for out of pocket expense as they would see it.

Unless they specifically ask you to use your car to carry anything to another location, you are only commuting in your car.

Alternatively, if you don't want to take your car, you have an option if public transport.

Either way, in most contracts, they will be perfectly within their rights to ask you to cover for business in different locations.

The difference would be if you were to move around to few different locations in one day.

You have an issue about pay, so discuss that. Don't go in saying I want pay rise, but go in and show them the reason why you should get one. I am sure your contract does not have annual pay rise written in, so they have discretion to give it or not.

Advertisement