Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How likely is the east of the north to get snow this afternoon.
    My wife has to go to Bangor in the evening and some forecasts are showing 5cm of snow by 5-6pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

_Brian wrote: »
    My wife has to go to Bangor in the evening and some forecasts are showing 5cm of snow by 5-6pm

It’s likely there yes

I stand by my reckoning that west Munster will see snow later today and tomorrow
    Whilst you won’t be digging out,you should see snow falling in cork city too

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that anywhere that normally gets showers from the northwest won’t get them this time
    They’ll be out in the Atlantic and will flow southeastwards
    The nearer you are to their land entry point the higher the likely hood
    So north Kerry ,north and west cork won’t miss all of them
    They will be more organized the further north you go whilst minimising the land track east you’re on
    So in my view your likelihood starts in west Munster and rises from west Leinster northwards into Connaught Ulster and North Leinster if you want to lo look at inland areas most favoured

The jury is out on Sunday still but I’m ruling out snow from that system in Wicklow and wexford (my own bailey wick) except on the highest ground well inland

How did you get access to that chart :pac:

Somebody inside must have tweeted it,the rascals ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

How did you get access to that chart :pac:

Met Eireann are posting these charts on their Twitter feed. It would be nice if we had access as the resolution looks a lot better than on their website, apps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s likely there yes

I stand by my reckoning that west Munster will see snow later today and tomorrow
    Whilst you won’t be digging out,you should see snow falling in cork city too

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that anywhere that normally gets showers from the northwest won’t get them this time
    They’ll be out in the Atlantic and will flow southeastwards
    The nearer you are to their land entry point the higher the likely hood
    So north Kerry ,north and west cork won’t miss all of them
    They will be more organized the further north you go whilst minimising the land track east you’re on
    So in my view your likelihood starts in west Munster and rises from west Leinster northwards into Connaught Ulster and North Leinster if you want to lo look at inland areas most favoured

The jury is out on Sunday still but I’m ruling out snow from that system in Wicklow and wexford (my own bailey wick) except on the highest ground well inland

Damn.
    Don’t fancy sending her and kids off into a 2hr drive with some forecasters giving 2 inches of snow on their route. It’s just some forecasters are saying Belfast area will see little to nothing.

• Advertisement

Damn.
    Don’t fancy sending her and kids off into a 2hr drive with some forecasters giving 2 inches of snow on their route. It’s just some forecasters are saying Belfast area will see little to nothing.

Yeah it’s along the route,it will be hit and miss and won’t be as bad as in the west of the province
    So you could have none in Belfast and 10 miles up or down the road lots for a few miles
    That’s the nature of shower trains
    Keep an eye on the radar this evening
    Main roads,dual carriage ways will be gritted

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

We don't usually get the snow too bad in Bangor thanks to the coastal location. Most often - Belfast would see a thicker covering than Bangor. However, there have been occasions where we have been under the influence of a snow streamer producing copious amounts of snow. As others have said - keep an eye on the radar!
    Personally, I don't expect to see lying snow in Bangor until the early hours of tomorrow but you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Lads!!!

Met Eireann
    "There may be a light dusting of snow around the country, and it may stick in places in the north and northwest."
    Stand down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

"Rain will spread northeast across the country on Saturday night. The rain will be heavy and preceded by sleet and snow across the north and east and may give accumulations over high ground" Sally Gap is the place to be..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

If only... ECM snow depth chart for Sunday night

435483.png

• Advertisement

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    If only... ECM snow depth chart for Sunday night

435483.png

Yeah that’s s transitional snow chart if ever I saw one where the snow lasts longest in the rain preceded by snow scenario
    Hence amounts on the countries highest mountain range down in Kerry is so low as it’s been washed away there
    It’s not an indication Dublin will see anything other than sleet coastally or on low ground though

But medium term some of these efforts will eventually bring a significant event before March probably by January or even by months end so no panic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Expecting nothing in Donegal except some snow on mountain tops. Hailstones and squally rain showers. Cold mind you. But typical December weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Expecting nothing in Donegal except some snow on mountain tops. Hailstones and squally rain showers. Cold mind you. But typical December weather.

Yep,that seems to correlate with whats being forecast by met eireann,although there could be a slight dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

Wicklow mountains look like getting a pasting on Sunday. Lots of heavy precip around. Basically, the higher up you go, the more you'll get. I'm at 250M so may be just below the snow line.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

11am TAF issued for Irish airports.

Dublin, Cork and Shannon have a chance of sleet showers from 6pm, 8pm and 6pm respectively.

Knock airport has the more exciting TAF, sleet showers from 3pm-8pm, a chance of snow showers from 5pm-8pm, then more definite snow showers from 8pm-6am, however from 6am-12pm tomorrow that changes to sleet showers again with a chance of snow showers.

Belfast Aldergrove is expecting showers of sleet/graupel from midday, showers of sleet and snow from 3pm and a chance of heavy snow showers from 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Latest Euro 04 for midnight....

17120800_0706.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Latest Euro 04 for midnight....

17120800_0706.gif

Not too promising for Munster! We need some organised trough to penetrate south!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    11am TAF issued for Irish airports.

Dublin, Cork and Shannon have a chance of sleet showers from 6pm, 8pm and 6pm respectively.

Knock airport has the more exciting TAF, sleet showers from 3pm-8pm, a chance of snow showers from 5pm-8pm, then more definite snow showers from 8pm-6am, however from 6am-12pm tomorrow that changes to sleet showers again with a chance of snow showers.

Belfast Aldergrove is expecting showers of sleet/graupel from midday, showers of sleet and snow from 3pm and a chance of heavy snow showers from 6pm.

So in this flow,a colder one than the last one
    Forecasters in DUB are expecting showers that fall as snow en route over an entirely cold land track in a land breeze to Dublin Airport to arrive as only sleet in DUB
    That’s laughably ridiculous forecasting tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭grenouille1966

So in this flow,a colder one than the last one
    Forecasters in DUB are expecting showers that fall as snow en route over an entirely cold land track in a land breeze to Dublin Airport to arrive as only sleet in DUB
    That’s laughably ridiculous forecasting tbh

Whatever about Shannon or Cork airports, Dublin airports gets quite a lot of snowfall especially during an easterly setup. Less in a North West but the temperatures are generally one to two degrees lower in North Dublin than Shannon on Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Raining over the hills of north meath

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

starting to rain here now, not very heavy tho.

Of course it is
    No where in Ireland is cold enough yet
    Different story by Dusk I’d say

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

Gonzo wrote: »

I’d take that as a very good sign for your area that showers are already making their way down to you
    Later tonight should be interesting because what falls out of them in your area will be frozen
    I’m convinced of that

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Gonzo wrote: »

GONZO where you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

As opposed to....... 😂😂
    In other news water is wet😂😂

Of course it is
    No where in Ireland is cold enough yet
    Different story by Dusk I’d say

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

I know yeah, i meant to add hopefully a different a story this evening, but posted to quick and couldnt be bothered editing it, ha

As opposed to....... 😂😂

Really, thanks for the info, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

As opposed to....... 😂😂

Water isn't wet. Wetness is a description of our experience of water; what happens to us when we come into contact with water in such a way that it impinges on our state of being. We, or our possessions, 'get wet'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Water isn't wet. Wetness is a description of our experience of water; what happens to us when we come into contact with water in such a way that it impinges on our state of being. We, or our possessions, 'get wet'.

:)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TPDdRrMVEnA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    GONZO where you based?

Look under his name, it says Location: Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement