Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

pilly wrote: »
    Where?

As has been suggested, choose to use the desktop site on your mobile device, so that you can see profiles/locations. If you encounter a slight inconvenience by doing this, so be it. I shant be inconvenienced by having to type out my location every time I report weather conditions when my location is already clearly stated in my profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Graphics from the BBC news weather just now
    First 2 this evening
    3rd tomorrow at 8am
    Last one Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

highdef wrote: »

As has been suggested, choose to use the desktop site on your mobile device, so that you can see profiles/locations. If you encounter a slight inconvenience by doing this, so be it. I shant be inconvenienced by having to type out my location every time I report weather conditions when my location is already clearly stated in my profile.

Thats the spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Graphics from the BBC news weather just now
    First 2 this evening
    3rd tomorrow at 8am
    Last one Sunday

Thanks for posting, on the 4th one, for sunday, what direction is that front pushing do you know?
    Is it very much east / or going in a SE direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

highdef wrote: »

We've had this debate before and it resulted in carnage!

If we could just post the location to prevent conflict and not be awkward, that would be great, if not, lets not cause arguing!

Ideally, the mobile site would work correctly:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Thanks for posting, on the 4th one, for sunday, what direction is that front pushing do you know?
    Is it very much east / or going in a SE direction.

The low behind her hand is sliding south east towards southern England.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just to vent a petty annoyance. I have noticed lately that when I type 'Met Eireann' into the Google search box, instead of the met site being rightly at the top of the search list, it is now infested with headlines from cretinous tabloids:

image.png

Trash over quality, literally. :mad:

New Moon

At least you're not getting pages like Accuweather on top of Met Eireann, which can occur when they spend a nice bit on a sponsored result!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Just waiting on a flight back to Dublin from Glasgow and it’s 6c and cold rain , I think after Dark they may hit the sweet spot over here .

Best of luck to you all in the hunt for the white gold

Just As I sat on my seat looking out the window it started to lash down sleet , there like drowned rats getting onto the flight and the wind would cut you in two, the 3 pound spent on my priority boarding was well worth it , to make matters worse people could only get on at the front of the place due to the high winds !

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

435522.PNGNewcastle West, Co. Limerick.

Temperature has started to drop, and dip with the heavy hail showers in the last few hours. No snow or sleet yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Had a few recent Rain showers not expecting anything at my area (d17) enjoy the snow for whoever witness it enjoy it while it last they say;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

JCX BXC wrote: »
    At least you're not getting pages like Accuweather on top of Met Eireann, which can occur when they spend a nice bit on a sponsored result!

9 times out of 10, a click on any of those links will show a pic a young woman struggling with an umbrella (or sunbathing on a grassy patch if there is forecast of heat) The whole purpose of which is to to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

New Moon

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Kencollins wrote: »
    435522.PNGNewcastle West, Co. Limerick.

Temperature has started to drop, and dip with the heavy hail showers in the last few hours. No snow or sleet yet

Is green DP?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Yeah, the green line is the dewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Is green DP?

Green = ROI
    Blue = UK
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

UK Met Airmet for today and tomorrow.
    AIRMET AREA FORECAST, UK-OUTLOOK-AND-UPDATE,
    VALID DEC 07/1500Z TO 07/2100Z.

MET-SITUATION: AT 18Z, A TROUGH LIES N5600 W01200 TO BELFAST TO SHEFFIELD, MOV S AT 10KT IN W AND SLOW MOV IN E. ANOTHER SLOW MOV TROUGH LIES N6200 W011200 TO HARRIS.

OUTLOOK: UNTIL DEC 08/2400Z:

REMAINDER OF THURSDAY:

MET SITUATION AS ABOVE:

N OF A LINE DINGLE TO DUBLIN TO CARDIFF TO HULL TO EDINBURGH TO N5400 E00100, GEN SLOW MOV, BUT MOV SE AT 15KT IN W: SCT/BKN CUSC, ISOL (OCNL N) CB, OCNL BKN ST TROUGH, ISOL SCT/BKN ST. OCNL (FRQ TROUGH) SHRA/SHGS, ISOL HVY SHRASN/TSGS, OCNL SHSN N, ISOL HVY SHSN MON AND NW, MOD (ISOL SEV) TURB, WDSPR SEV TURB N, ISOL HILL FG.

ELSEWHERE: ISOL SCT/BKN CUSC, ISOL SHRA, LCA SHSN MON FAR N, MOD OCNL SEV TURB NE, ISOL HILL FG. STRONG/VERY STRONG NW WINDS, WITH ISOL GALE SEA COT, BUT WDSPR GALE FAR N SEA COT.

FRIDAY:

AT 12Z, A TROUGH LIES TIREE TO BELFAST TO BIRMINGHAM, MOV S. ANOTHER TROUGH LIES JOHN O' GROATS TO N5800 E00300, MOV S.
    N OF A SLOW MOV LINE ISLE-OF-WIGHT TO OXFORD TO EDINBURGH TO N5400 E00100: SCT/BKN CUSC, ISOL (OCNL NW) CB, OCNL BKN ST TROUGHS, ISOL SCT/BKN ST. OCNL SHRA/SHGS, ISOL HVY SHRASN/TSGS, OCNL SHSN N, ISOL HVY SHSN MON AND NW, MOD TURB, WDSPR SEV TURB N, ISOL HILL FG.

ELSEWHERE: ISOL SCT/BKN CUSC, ISOL SHRA, LCA SHSN MON FAR N, MOD OCNL SEV TURB NE, ISOL HILL FG. STRONG/VERY STRONG NW WINDS, WITH ISOL GALE SEA COT, BUT
    WDSPR GALE FAR NE SEA COT.

Chart for midnight. Area A: Anything from sleet to thundergraupel to occasional snow showers. The trough in the north is aligned nicely for training precip through the north and midlands.

435523.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Currently 3.9c and dewpoint of 1.6c according to the AWS here.

Another 1c or so drop for the dewpoint and it's snow for here in South Laois going on past experiences. 0.7c is the magical number!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

Sunday is turning out to be a fairly horrendous day on the latest GFS. Rain/Sleet/Snow for much of the day and very cold too with a severe frost that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Just been out walking the dogs got caught in a minor, light, snowy, haily shower. Seems to have gotten a lot chillier too.

South Sligo
    90m ASL

2c in Knock airport at 4pm,

Has gotten very dark here in West Clare very suddenly as a shower looms, some streetlights have even came on! 6.3c here with a DP of 2.2c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

arctictree wrote: »
    Sunday is turning out to be a fairly horrendous wonderful day on the latest GFS. Rain/Sleet/Snow for much of the day and very cold too with a severe frost that night.

I fixed that for you :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Sleet falling on the north side of cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

here we go

National Weather Warnings

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Longford, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo
    Snow showers will occur this evening, tonight and during Friday. Accumulations of 4 to 8 cm expected, with the larger values on high ground. Icy roads and footpaths.

Issued:Thursday 07 December 2017 16:10
    Valid:Thursday 07 December 2017 16:00 to Friday 08 December 2017 18:00

Not often you see an orange snow/ice warning issued!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Actually the gfs is making sunday interesting for the south and east - its suggesting as the front slides away it could have a happy :) sting in its tail.....

84-574UK.GIF?07-12

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

temp dropped from 11.7 at midnight to 3 degrees at 3am temp now at 1.9, SW donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Yellow warning for parts of the east also

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

certainly is
    STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath and Roscommon
    Occasional snow showers will occur this evening, tonight and during Friday, with accumulations of up to 3 cm expected. Some icy roads and footpaths also.

Issued:Thursday 07 December 2017 16:00

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Actually the gfs is making sunday interesting for the south and east - its suggesting as the front slides away it could have a happy :) sting in its tail.....

84-574UK.GIF?07-12

That's very borderline stuff at the moment though. Right now it looks more like sleet or wet rain, but it could swing either way.

• Advertisement

Yellow warning from ME also updated:
    Met &#201 wrote: »
    STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath and Roscommon
    Occasional snow showers will occur this evening, tonight and during Friday, with accumulations of up to 3 cm expected. Some icy roads and footpaths also.

Issued:Thursday 07 December 2017 16:00

Looks hopeful, will be interesting to see the TAF's when they're issued at 5pm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement