Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gonzo wrote: »
    freezing solid outside now, those snow flakes well and truly stuck to the car with no sign of melting. Anything that falls here during the night should be snow or hail till dawn at least.

Maybe you should count them again just to make sure they are all there?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

More hail here, sticks then disappears into the wet ground - almost +1 on the barometer.

Will be interesting to see if the temps fall further and the hail softens into snow.

South Sligo
    90m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Pity the rain and sleet had drowned the place not good for snow settle. Why do we always get sleet first

As i found out on December the 16th 2010 how soaked the ground is doesn't really matter, if the air temp falls low enough, it will start to stick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Does the second image suggest that South Kilkenny /Waterford will see some snow on Monday?

In my experience with those netweather snow risk charts,reds and yellows get nothing or rain
    So they are not showing anything great at all
    They’re pointless anyway as they’re one Gfs run
    You need meteorologist’s opinions on Sunday at this stage and they vary to a rain preceded by snow event well inland in north Leinster Ulster and parts of east Connaught (not Dublin city or suburbs) to an almost all snow event in those areas and high ground

Very very marginal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

A bit worrying not much snow falling up the northern half of the country or is this expected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭the 12 th man

Is it snowing anywhere?

North Leitrim

Nowt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Snowing in Cavan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

North Leitrim

Nowt :(

Any rain even?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

A bit worrying not much snow falling up the northern half of the country or is this expected?

Think the showers are moving to fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Is it snowing anywhere?

Good amount of snow on the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

RESN reported at EIDW on the 8pm METAR

Just a quick shower

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

RESN reported at EIDW on the 8pm METAR

METAR decoding help below.

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/197

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Temperature has risen in south Donegal from 4.8 at 7.30 to 5.2 now according to my readings. Showers of rain. Unless there is a major change in conditions then there will be no snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

RuthieRose wrote: »
    Just a quick shower

Hurry back

Just a quick shower

liqiu.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

There’s an occlusion to come down yet kicking off tonight’s activities and behind which is the coldest air by the looks of the fax chart
    It’s progress is determined by Storm C

liqiu.jpeg

Yer fearce funny !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

I blame it on global warming

• Advertisement

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Temperature has risen in south Donegal from 4.8 at 7.30 to 5.2 now according to my readings. Showers of rain. Unless there is a major change in conditions then there will be no snow.

This is the hazard of living near windward coasts with a strong wind unfortunately. However they will fall back notably even on coasts soon there as the trough moves through. No such issues further inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

joe199 wrote: »
    I blame it on global warming

Oh please let's not start this rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Just a quick shower

We had the same here about an hour ago - East Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I assume a level 3 warning for cork is a banker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

It's early yet though. Many of us will be waking up to snow right?
    It hasn't really started yet. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

We are still trekking Northbound. Just north of Donegal town where it has turned wintery and windy. Just getting through Barnesmore as I type. I’m not driving btw.
    Snow heavier now and accumulations on side of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

When you see the pink radar returns over belmullet you know it's cold...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This radar

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/radar/united-kingdom.html

gives a pretty good indication of the heavy banding of wintry showers. I would imagine some higher roads in Donegal, Derry and Tyrone will experience very nasty blowing snow from these, the warmish Atlantic is keeping sea level temperatures a bit too high for accumulating snow (hail might occur though), but 3-5 cms of snow could easily accumulate in a matter of hours overnight inland.

The 516 dm thickness contour has made landfall in Ulster, this is quite a low value for a northwesterly and would almost always give snow in an easterly. Thicknesses below 510 dm are quite rare in Ireland, from what I've seen over ten years, might have touched that once or twice in late 2010. So this is quite a potent outbreak. Also the one on Sunday night and Monday will have a real bite and it comes from more of a north or even NNE source.

Just getting fully back into the game here after days and days of moving and sleep deprivation, so have not totally gotten up to speed on next week, we may need a thread for it soon.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Any rain even?

Not really. There was a hail shower around 6pm. It is quite windy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Snowing in Cavan :)

No snow yet where I am in south Cavan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement