Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

dave1982 wrote: »
    I assume a level 3 warning for cork is a banker

That's what I want to see, a Red Warning for snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Wow I can't believe this is really possibly happening, Im not getting a bit excited until I see snow on the ground though

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

A few beefy hail showers in Westport. Hoping later in the night will be more fruitful as regards sneachta!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some indications of lightning in wintry showers over north Connacht at present.

The coldest air will be overhead in upper levels around midnight to 0300h so this activity will probably go most of the night, a few reports of thundersnow or sleet may be coming in soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

yorlum11 wrote: »
    A few beefy hail showers in Westport. Hoping later in the night will be more fruitful as regards sneachta!

Still rain out here by the coast,with sporadic hail,no chance of snow/accumulations here unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I can now confirm it is snowing in north meath

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Ground here is white from some heavy hail showers which turn to snow, very windy during showers and feels like house is being sand blasted.

s.e. Sligo 255m asl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Ground here is white from some heavy hail showers which turn to snow, very windy during showers and feels like house is being sand blasted.

s.e. Sligo 255m asl.

We should all go to your house for these events!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Kettle's on, bring cake!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Has there been an upgrade for Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm met reports

Mullingar,Gurteen and Ballyhaise reporting snow. Windy in the west also with Newport gusting 42 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Raining here in North Cork, bitterly cold mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

This radar

http://www.weathercast.co.uk/radar/united-kingdom.html

gives a pretty good indication of the heavy banding of wintry showers. I would imagine some higher roads in Donegal, Derry and Tyrone will experience very nasty blowing snow from these, the warmish Atlantic is keeping sea level temperatures a bit too high for accumulating snow (hail might occur though), but 3-5 cms of snow could easily accumulate in a matter of hours overnight inland.

The 516 dm thickness contour has made landfall in Ulster, this is quite a low value for a northwesterly and would almost always give snow in an easterly. Thicknesses below 510 dm are quite rare in Ireland, from what I've seen over ten years, might have touched that once or twice in late 2010. So this is quite a potent outbreak. Also the one on Sunday night and Monday will have a real bite and it comes from more of a north or even NNE source.

Just getting fully back into the game here after days and days of moving and sleep deprivation, so have not totally gotten up to speed on next week, we may need a thread for it soon.

I'm no weather expert but M.t calling for a thread for next week sooo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not sure we'd all fit

8055704661_7500f99c0d_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks like a deluge of snow across the north, any photos anyone?

5.3c here in West Clare with a D.P of 0c, although quite high, the snow from 2 weeks ago here managed to drop the temperature by over 3c so hopes not completely gone.

Strangely, no air frost here get this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

There are no reporting stations on high peaks in Ireland (AFAIK) but in Scotland, the Cairngorm reporting site had winds over 150 km/hr at times between 06z and 15z and a peak gust of 201 km/hr at 14z.

Probably nowhere near that strong on high peaks in Ireland but it shows you how strong the wind is up there compared to down where people live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

It's like a methadone clinic for snow bunnies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

N13 road to Letterkenny accumulation of snow on road and a decent snow shower.
    None on the ground in Letterkenny, it’s currently sleating.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snow falling in Belfast, traffic camera method.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

On the east coast sea level in Larne at moment and it chucking it down with the big white fluffy snow settling. Forgot what it looked like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Significant accumulations on Sunday in the north and east according to the Met Eireann forecast on RTE now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Significant snow accumulations Sunday in north and east met forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    N13 road to Letterkenny accumulation of snow on road and a decent snow shower.
    None on the ground in Letterkenny, it’s currently sleating.

Where abouts in on a height overlooking the N13 between Newtown and Manor and it's just very very wet.

You made me go outside to look. Ha ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Snowing near Delvin co. Westmeath, sticking pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Significant snow accumalations likely for the East and North on sunday, i better get out tomorrow and get stocked up, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Just getting fully back into the game here after days and days of moving and sleep deprivation, so have not totally gotten up to speed on next week, we may need a thread for it soon.

What's up next week??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Sunday looks like it could be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Visiting the folks in South Armagh (near Monaghan border). Ongoing snow shower and a light dusting on the ground already. c.115m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

Currently Active Users Moderators
    657 (198 members & 459 guests) Moderators : 5

Mech1, shellycub, Longing, CianRyan, thos, gozunda, noah45, kod87, goldenhoarde, billie1b, BLIZZARD7, arctictree, InstaSte, Neddyusa, barney 20v, Daxve, rameire, sjb25, Daniel2590, greenfield21, derryvella, chilipepper, ironkiwi, Snowbiee21, WeirdKen, dancin, pistolpetes11, bluedoor27, Tayschren, MidMan25, dexter647, jimbis, ongarboy, Tzardine, Oscar Bravo, DOCARCH, diceyd, EMPotatohands, Reckless Abandonment, kittyn, hungoverbunny, torres9kop, Brasso, leahyl, johndeere3350, bohsfan, kilkenny31, konman, brian_rbk, IP freely, ascophyllum, Ckit1, Buttros, igCorcaigh, sdanseo, pa990, Deatr, Artfu1Dodger, smallwonder, OnDraught, onmebike, meercat, Lucreto, fathersymes, robclay26, squarecircles, Kermit.de.frog, Bogsnorkler, P.lane78, JCX BXC+, giveitholly, brianomc, Habitual, hawkwing, oterra, TJM, yellowlabrador, Silver-Tiger, Saganist, man_no_plan, pad199207, Billcarson, Ravage1616, Orchard Rebel, average_runner, Bussywussy, Clonmel1000, esposito, Fishy1, Weathercheck, Lord Trollington, United road, frostypants, horsefarm, Eds, Darwin, Blogger50, mhiggy09, chris2007, JP85, grumpygit, Timistry, MJohnston, hawkelady, lolie, SuperStarHoney, ForFoxSake, Slimity, WhatsGoingOn2, nerrad1983, Mgst, derossi, Soulsun, mountainy man, DanielL18, mvron, readyletsgo, ongarite, Dubs1990, gerrybhoy, stephenjmcd, Asal beag dubh, JonnyM, Natibaby, galwaybabe, jimbobaloobob, cabo, KatieN, cute_cow, currants, Cul a cnoic, sparrowcar, XDA, lillielad, blackwave, ollie1, bozharry1, Prefab Sprouter, sob1467, pcasso, Pretzill, randomname2005, pp_me, Nettle Soup, Gee_G, dmc17, Grudle, icesnowfrost, Choc Chip, pmq71, tenreds, Vinculus, mojesius, paddybarry, Copper_pipe, JPF82, NegativeCreep, dayo22, davemcmahon, jellybear, 1holly1, nuttyboy79, Hyblaeus, Avns1s, jacksie66, jokettle, bellylint, Psygnosis, Don keebals, nagdefy, Anatom, milosh, Mthor5, 0ph0rce0, HankSchrader, Manitoban, thecretinhop, dublincelt

Come on, we are all waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I have to get to an event in Co. Monaghan on Saturday - would it be worth calling off?
    My plan was to stay until Sunday and I can't really afford to get stranded...

Are we talking a sprinkling or enough to disrupt traffic ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement