Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Timfy

Peatys wrote: »
    What's this 'real feel' business?
    My wife reckons it's -6c, my phone says 0c. Surely what it really feels like, is what the temp sensors would pick up?

Shamelessly lifted from Accuweathers website...
    What is the AccuWeather RealFeel Temperature?

The AccuWeather.com RealFeel® Temperature was created in the 1990s by Joel N. Myers, Michael A. Steinberg, Joseph Sobel, Elliot Abrams and Evan Myers.
    The RealFeel Temperature is an equation that takes into account many different factors to determine how the temperature actually feels outside. It is the first temperature to take into account multiple factors to determine how hot and cold feels.
    Some of the components that are used in the equation are humidity, cloud cover, winds, sun intensity and angle of the sun. Humidity is a large contributor to determining the RealFeel, but the time of the day also is important, due to the angle of the sun.
    In the morning the low angle of the sun gives off less heat because the energy is spread out, according to AccuWeather.com Expert Senior Meteorologist Dan Kottlowski. In the afternoon, the sun is overhead and the sun's energy is more direct and gives off more energy, making it feel warmer.
    "The RealFeel takes into consideration the angle of the sun and its affects on an object or the body," Kottlowski said.
    Once the equation was created, the inventors took the RealFeel to AccuWeather.com meteorologists, media and the public to make sure they weren't missing anything and to gather research on how they could improve the product, Steinberg said.
    The equation also takes into consideration how people perceive the weather. Steinberg said that this can be debated, since not everyone perceives weather the same way, but the equation uses the average person's perception of weather and adds that into the RealFeel equation. The RealFeel Temperature can be used throughout all four seasons with the same equation.
    Wind is a main component that determines how people perceive the weather and a factor that is used to determine the AccuWeather RealFeel. AccuWeather.com Senior Meteorologist Kristina Pydynowski, said that the wind can make a person feel colder because the cold wind blowing removes heat from your body.
    "The stronger the wind, the faster the heat is getting removed from your body, so it will feel colder outside," Pydynowski said.
    Humidity is another component in equating the RealFeel and also plays a role in how people feel outside. If there is low humidity in the air (meaning less moisture) when you sweat, the moisture is able to evaporate. This works as your body's cooling process, so you won't feel as hot. If there is high humidity in the air, the evaporating process is slowed down or stopped because there is already a lot of moisture in the air.
    "That is why you get the sticky feeling, because the sweat isn't able to evaporate as efficiently," Pydynowski said.
    The AccuWeather.com RealFeel Temperature is one of a kind because AccuWeather is the only company that can use more than two elements in its equation, to determine the RealFeel because of the patents that AccuWeather has, Steinberg said.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Just had a shower of sleety grauple in Galway City. Rotten stuff:(

North Leitrim

Nothing :( mountains are white though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Anyone got any idea what the weather is like in Monaghan?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

4 deg and frosty in East Waterford. Clear skies. The chances of us seeing anything white are always very low 😦. Can't complain because we tend to get good summers with less rain etc. Still though. . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Dublin Airport had snow most hours overnight (rest were fair). The TAF's were wrong. Simple.

Aye! kudos to you for the thread tbh
    The event went pretty much as planned in that anyone under a shower train away from west coasts has snow cover

I don’t buy the sleet metar at Dub either
    If it was any other airport outside Ireland,someone would be sacked or sent to spec savers with a warning
    I certainly think the taf was wrong but it often is with wind speed anyway

Saturday night into Sunday will be challenging forecasting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Is it really necessary and warranted that this thread Is a Level 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm looking at sky news and Arlene foster has a lot of snow falling on her doorstep in Fermanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

3 degrees and not even a sign of frost in Cork City this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I hope there's no snow at Dublin airport as I'm sitting on EK161 reading this forum with interest, hoping we'll land on time in about 3 hours and I can get back to Wicklow! It can snow all it likes on Sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

BigMoose wrote: »
    I hope there's no snow at Dublin airport as I'm sitting on EK161 reading this forum with interest, hoping we'll land on time in about 3 hours and I can get back to Wicklow! It can snow all it likes on Sunday!

There isn’t

And you are due at 10.37 aprx

You are just over Slovakia. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If it was any other airport outside Ireland,someone would be sacked or sent to spec savers with a warning

Ah now, seriously?

I don't think there's any conspiracy to misforecast at DUB ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Peatys wrote: »
    What's this 'real feel' business?
    My wife reckons it's -6c, my phone says 0c. Surely what it really feels like, is what the temp sensors would pick up?
    A body standing in fast-moving air, will cool much faster than one standing in still air.

This is because in still air, your body will warm up a little "bubble" of air around your body, which then hangs around and helps retain the heat. In moving air, this little "bubble" is constantly being blown away, so your body is constantly working to heat up the air around it.

As a result, in moving air you cool down much faster than in still air.

So the "wind chill" is an indicator of how fast you will cool down as opposed to a raw air temperature. The air temperature can be 0 degrees, but if there's a decent breeze, you will cool down as fast as you would in -5 degrees.

Accuweather decided to create their own name and formula for wind chill and pretend that they invented it. It's been around for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

It will be nice to see a satellite picture later on to see where the snow is lying in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Very light flurry snow in Ongar now near Blanchardstown, D15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Was expecting a frost last night but nothing, just a cloudy dark miserable winter morning, does not feel particularly cold either:(

Was quite disappointed by the lack of precipitation overnight across the country, a NW normally brings more potent showers

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

About 1cm in rathangan, kildare and still snowing lightly now. Enough to give a nice covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Is it really necessary and warranted that this thread Is a Level 2?

Yes. The thread title on Boards.ie always at least matches the Met Eireann highest warning level given out for weather warnings. In this case, ME assigned an Orange Level warning for Ice/Snow in Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Longford, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo. Thus the boards thread indicates Level 2 to correspond with that (Level 1 equating to Yellow, Level 2 to Orange, Level 3 to Red).

Sometimes, if I remember right, the warning level on boards can be higher than the ME one if the right folks here think it is warranted, but in this particular thread's case, it has matched the ME warning.

In the case of an Ice/Snow Orange level warning, here is Met Eireann's criteria:
    Significant falls of snow likely to cause accumulations of 3 cm or greater below 250m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

seamus wrote: »
    A body standing in fast-moving air, will cool much faster than one standing in still air.

This is because in still air, your body will warm up a little "bubble" of air around your body, which then hangs around and helps retain the heat. In moving air, this little "bubble" is constantly being blown away, so your body is constantly working to heat up the air around it.

As a result, in moving air you cool down much faster than in still air.

So the "wind chill" is an indicator of how fast you will cool down as opposed to a raw air temperature. The air temperature can be 0 degrees, but if there's a decent breeze, you will cool down as fast as you would in -5 degrees.

Accuweather decided to create their own name and formula for wind chill and pretend that they invented it. It's been around for decades.

Thanks Seamus and Timfy for that. Marital over for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I certainly think the taf was wrong but it often is with wind speed anyway

So you in the heart of Wicklow are better equipped to make an observation for the airport than the trained observer stationed there? A TAF is a forecast for within 5 miles of an airport, nothing else. For that reason the TAF was 100% accurate. There could be a blizzard 6 miles away but that doesn't matter.

I too was a bit surprised that there was no snow mentioned in the TAF but I'm not going to disregard official reports for the sake of my confirmation bias.

PS Light flurry now in Tallaght (105 m)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Very light snow faking here in leixlip. Not going to amount to anything. But very happy just to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Just a smattering on grass and paths here - likely it is frozen hail - cold morning - is there more coming today?

South Sligo
    90asl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Snowing away in Dublin 15 now, paths around Ongar turning white!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,776 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

flaneur wrote: »
    Anyone got any idea what the weather is like in Monaghan?

About 2cms white out here flaneur. Soft underfoot though and still snowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Well we got a bit of white gold overnight here in Newport, Mayo. I'm not sure if it's frozen snow or hail, but it's white and stuck so I'm taking it.
    We're about 4 miles from the coast as the crow flies, and we seem to be on a different weather system to the rest of ye most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Just had a heavy burst of snow in Portarlington for 5 mins, woke up with a covering on all surfaces except roads. Kids were out playing in it with the roma kids next door who were overly excited saying it's the first time they have seen snow, which is what snows all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Clear blue skies, but only down to 2.5C overnight here in South Tipp. Brisk winds making it feel colder.
    Does it look as if the cold air is going to push further south?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

About a cm in North Wicklow, 200m asl. Enough for this :)

20171208_081109_800x600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Heavy snow shower in clonsilla Dublin. Sticking on paths and roads. That will make the school run fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I’ve counted the snow flakes on my car just now as I’m about to set forth in South Wicklow and there are more than I thought :D

I find it interesting that my view of Dublin airports reporting of sleet instead of snow is singled out by a poster here and that Kermit’s isn’t even though it’s the same
    I’m entitled to my views as is everyone else
    There’s no need to repeat them,reports here speak for themselves ie that in the real world it did snow in Dublin last night and no doubt at the airport :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement