Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Taking a north side dart in. Will report on lying snow.

No snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ferretr33

Good Dusting of snow in Co.Meath on the Kells, Navan Boarder at least half an inch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

ferretr33 wrote: »
    Good Dusting of snow in Co.Meath on the Kells, Navan Boarder at least half an inch

Half an inch is more than a dusting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Can’t understand the warnings when there was little snow anywhere. Can I ask what happened in 2010 was it unexpected by the weather people or expected.

Whatever warnings they give here usually, downgrade it by about 80% and therein lies reality. Rarely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭sjb25

Can’t understand the warnings when there was little snow anywhere. Can I ask what happened in 2010 was it unexpected by the weather people or expected.

Plenty of snow/ice around the place and if you had of read this thread the knowledgeable posters here had been saying it won't be everywhere. Met eireann issue warnings because of the CHANCE of snow they cannot predict everywhere that will and will not snow they are telling you to be cautious that's all you get people (like my father in law) getting trailer loads of coal and sticks and cancelling plans because it mentions snow on the TV

Possibly warning will come out for Sunday have a look here https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057817783/2/#post105497835 to see what the knowledgeable posters (you pick up quickly who the are and are not) here are saying and decided what you need to do accordingly it has worked for me since I found this weather forum (I'm just a lurker I've no idea what all there cool maps mean)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

In fairness we have a status orange warning.
    The minor roads locally are white out with frost beneath and totally lethal, better R road has tram lines of slush even after morning traffick, at 5am it too was white out.
    For us it was spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

The professionals at the airport who have responsibility over thousands of aircraft didn't report any snow, what possible reason would they have to lie? I'd take their word over a couple of posts on an internet forum
    (Before anyone calls posters here liars)
    To put this to bed,Dublin airports definition and requirements for snow are different to everybody else’s and should not be used as anything other than a guide to whether runways need clearing
    That’s my only possible or acceptable explanation for the divergence between their reporting/forecasting and reality

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So is there any realistic prospect of snow/sleet for Munster at all next week? According to ME the weather will be turning somewhat milder from tomorrow evening, at least for those of us in the south of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Took the long way into work this morning. I live a few miles out from Ballyjamesduff (Cavan). Was a bit dicey for the first 2 miles as I live in a very rural area and the roads at that part are not gritted. Once I got on the road to Ballyjamesduff and then into Cavan town it was not too bad at all. I wonder what it will be like this evening though? I am meant to be picking a friend up off the bus from Virginia at 10pm. I suspect the temperatures will drop big time tonight and the roads out my way are going to be like glass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I drove from Dublin to Waterford this  morning. No snow on the ground until I got to around city west where I started to see lying snow. Very nice covering of snow around Kildare and that stayed the case until I got to north of Kilkenny. As I approached Kilkenny itself there was no snow on the ground. Seemed to be a snow line between west Dublin to North Kilkenny with not much either side of it. That being said it was snowing as I passed Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I would say the Dublin and Wicklow mountains got some great snow

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Very cold morning here is D16
    Enough snow to have a snowball fight but no making snowmen unfortunately

Snowing lightly here near Arklow at the moment
    1.4c
    Dew point -1c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

7c here in SW Conemara

No frost, ice or snow this morning.

Can see the 12 bens got some as i look north.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Good dusting in glencullen looks great but nothing major really hope Sunday produces the goods

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Couple of decent snow showers in the last hour in Claremorris Mayo. Nothing sticking yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

So is there any realistic prospect of snow/sleet for Munster at all next week? According to ME the weather will be turning somewhat milder from tomorrow evening, at least for those of us in the south of the country.

read the thread for Sunday I would suggest. realistically a small chance only but if it comes off it could be a snow day on Monday!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

read the thread for Sunday I would suggest. realistically a small chance only but if it comes off it could be a snow day on Monday!

OK thanks. I will take a look at that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

separately I see some showers beefing up and coming in over Kerry toward Cork on the radar. could yet be a surprise down south........?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sq_forever

attachment.php?attachmentid=435620
    good call Kermit and ME. frozen underneath. beautiful heavy showers every 30mins here in cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

(Before anyone calls posters here liars)
    To put this to bed,Dublin airports definition and requirements for snow are different to everybody else’s and should not be used as anything other than a guide to whether runways need clearing
    That’s my only possible or acceptable explanation for the divergence between their reporting/forecasting and reality

It has been put to bed. It's nothing to do with runways at all. An observation is an observation. Synop and metar reports give current and past weather phenomena just the same as any other station. Any runway reports are appended to the METAR or sent in a snowtam. Observers don't report present weather differently because they're at an airport.

There were no reports of snow at Dublin Airport, in either the 30-minute metars (SN, SHSN, RESN, etc.) or in the hourly synops (codes 70-79 and 85-88). The only codes were RASN and synop code 83 (light showers of rain/snow (i.e. sleet). The 83 is reported as code 26 (recent snow showers) because there is no code f9r recent sleet showers. It goes 25 (recent rain showers) to 27 (recent hail showers). Recent rain with any frozen content is upclassified to snow because of this and appears as RECENT SNOW on the Met.ie reports.

Your persistence in claiming that trained met eireann staff at the airport are wrong and you're right from down in Wicklow is laughable at this stage. Strangely, the Dublin TAF has so far proven 100% correct, despite what may have fallen in other parts of the east.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

have a light dusting here. Very cold and icey. I think this event exceeded my expectations as spells like this often end up being mostly dry in many parts. It may only be a dusting across most areas luckily enough to get snow, but that's alot better than nothing.

Northern Ireland got a decent covering as expected. Today there will be a continuation of showers, mostly across the north-west which will become more confined from the evening onwards. Tomorrow a cold, dry and sunny day for all of us, will be a great day for walking and enjoying the countryside, despite the cold.

Sunday will be a very dirty day, some places will get cold, cold rain, others will get sleet and even snow or a mix of all 3, very difficult to know right now what will happen.

To those dissapointed not to have a dusting today, then luck could come your way on Sunday or later next week as there is a continuing risk of wintry weather over the next 1 to 2 weeks. We just have the first week of winter over with now, hopefully lots more opportunities for all of us between now and March, the winter is very young.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

With respect, why so much discussion over TAFs? They rarely seem predictive of weather past 12 hours.

Frankly defending how Dublin Airport met staff report flakes as sleet versus how people in Ongar and Malahide at either side of it report snow is boring
    I would suggest anyone dis believing the airport description doesn’t need burning at the stake
    They’re just validly disputing how it’s possible to turn to sleet inside the airport perimeter and back to snow on the coast
    Perfectly validly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

sq_forever wrote: »
    attachment.php?attachmentid=435620
    good call Kermit and ME. frozen underneath. beautiful heavy showers every 30mins here in cavan.

Lucky duck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Frankly defending how Dublin Airport met staff report flakes as sleet versus how people in Ongar and Malahide at either side of it report snow is boring
    I would suggest anyone dis believing the airport description doesn’t need burning at the stake
    They’re just validly disputing how it’s possible to turn to sleet inside the airport perimeter and back to snow on the coast
    Perfectly validly

Can all sides give it a rest please :), getting boring

MJohnston wrote: »
    With respect, why so much discussion over TAFs? They rarely seem predictive of weather past 12 hours.

Agreed,I’ll just stick anyone persisting on ignore as I’m a terrible contrarian anyway so do tend to stand my ground
    I was hoping not to do that but it’s for the best
    I will not be discussing TAF’s here again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here's some more photos I've gathered.

76gCdNd.png

2gtoUrl.png

xwfivg4.png

ROveXmk.png

gMc99np.png

The sky looks so beautiful in that 1st pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Will it snow in Dublin today or soon? Have 5 unhappy kids here as I promised them snow this morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement