Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We got about 15-20 minutes of fairly heavy snow in Rush at around 6:30am, and it stuck to the roads and cars. Enough to make them all white, probably ~0.5cm.

The sun has since melted most of it, but there is still some out the back in the shade.

Looking at the radar on Met Éireann it looks like the odd few showers were/are making it down to Dublin.

As I type right now I can see a few flakes starting to fall again outside, but it’s still quite sunny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

(Before anyone calls posters here liars)
    To put this to bed,Dublin airports definition and requirements for snow are different to everybody else’s and should not be used as anything other than a guide to whether runways need clearing
    That’s my only possible or acceptable explanation for the divergence between their reporting/forecasting and reality
    MOD NOTE

LET THERE BE NO MORE ON THIS TOPIC PLEASE , KEEP THIS THREAD ON TOPIC AND LESS OF THE SNIPING PLEASE .

If an official weather station says its raining its raining , if it says snow, its snowing or as the weather rock would say :

435625.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Orange warning issued for 17 counties on Saturday/Sunday

4-8cm of snow expected!!

Still hopeful of some more tonight though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭pauldry

Think Sligo town is going to continue with this frozen rain hail stuff in the coming days

Maybe a few flakes as Sundays snow clears briefly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

4-8cm of snow expected!!

https://tenor.com/view/ronpaul-happening-excited-gif-4407969

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Heavy rain showers in Donegal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

4-8cm of snow expected!!

about Sunday's forecast, anything can happen, it could snow in one location and rain in the next, I think it will be a very close call similar to March 2013 which left most of Ireland with cold rain and Northern Ireland buried under over a foot of snow. Despite what the forecast says I wouldn't use it as a guarantee that it's going to snow on Sunday. It's very difficult to bank on snow in Ireland as there is nearly always a milder segment over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    about Sunday's forecast, anything can happen, it could snow in one location and rain in the next, I think it will be a very close call similar to March 2013 which left most of Ireland with cold rain and Northern Ireland buried under over a foot of snow. Despite what the forecast says I wouldn't use it as a guarantee that it's going to snow on Sunday. It's very difficult to bank on snow in Ireland as there is nearly always a milder segment over us.

The difference with that horrible event was that it was not a slider low. It was an area of low pressure pushing up from the southwest trying to introduce milder air.

Just saying :P.

North Leitrim

SNOW !!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Snow event for the weekend according to ME. A dumping of snow..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Quite a forecast there from met.ie, for some parts it looks like precipitation from midnight Saturday to well after 6pm Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jaycornyn

Thunder and snow shower just past here. Now light hail stone. Northish leitrim.
    Even got a chance to make a snowman for the little man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I did the rounds of a few locations this morning and what I saw underscore how localised any snow falls were around here last night.

Donabate: nothing other than frozen rain
    Swords South and Dublin Airport: light dusting
    Lusk: light dusting
    Loughshinny: moderate dusting.

As I expected, this event delivered nothing substantial around here whereas other areas got more of a dumping.

Interesting to see what Sunday brings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I did the rounds of a few locations this morning and what I saw underscore how localised any snow falls were around here last night.

Donabate: nothing other than frozen rain
    Swords South and Dublin Airport: light dusting
    Lusk: light dusting
    Loughshinny: moderate dusting.

As I expected, this event delivered nothing substantial around here whereas other areas got more of a dumping.

Interesting to see what Sunday brings.

I was surprised that Dublin, Meath and Kildare got what it did. I was expecting nothing more than a bit of snizzle in the wind. Kildare easily did the best as it was in line with a very active snow train stretching between Sligo/Mayo and East Kildare.

Cavan and Monaghan did good due to being close to the much more prolonged snow over Northern Ireland. As we could see from today's RTE News, Northern Ireland got the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I've yet to see the Dailymail's usual thunder snow headline yet so i'm not sure what to make of the upcoming weather

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

435641.jpg

Virgina today from 500mtrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Dublin mountains looking back at th city, around 1pm today.

vdo4e1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

kod87 wrote: »
    They mentioned munster as a whole so that includes tipp

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath and Roscommon
    Occasional snow showers will occur this evening, tonight and during Friday, with accumulations of up to 3 cm expected. Some icy roads and footpaths also.

Issued:Thursday 07 December 2017 16:00
    Valid:Thursday 07 December 2017 16:00 to Friday 08 December 2017 18:00
    Yes they did mention Munster but unfortunately not as much as a snow flake fell in my neck of the woods last night or today so far. I thought we might get a hard frost but that didn't even happen because the wind was too strong. Hopeing Sunday might throw up a few surprises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Gonzo wrote: »

I think the further low pressure moves inland on Sunday and hits the cold air inland where i'm living the rain will turn to snow for a short period of time before the mild southwesterlies set in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A very fine dusting here this morning which led to icy roads and footpaths. One or two light rain showers today. A real Arctic grip. :rolleyes:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wicklow Co Co have just put an advisory to avoid the Sally Gap due to icy conditions. It seems obvious, but loads get stuck up there (a pal in MR "rescued" the same person 2 or 3 times in 2010, as he kept coming back to try and get the car(s) out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Wicklow Co Co have just put an advisory to avoid the Sally Gap due to icy conditions. It seems obvious, but loads get stuck up there (a pal in MR "rescued" the same asshole 2 or 3 times in 2010, as he kept coming back to try and get the car(s) out!

Fixed that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

Raining in Tullamore at the moment after very disappointing snow over night. Finding it hard to get excited about Sunday at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

They were the days. Never promise anything weather related to our kids

Never promise kids anything full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

You have to love the Irish mentality. A guy I work with is mountain rescue in his spare time. It drives him spare. He puts it like this.

"Oh I hear the Sally Gap is impassible. Lets see how far I can get before I get stuck".

The are usually in a 2wd Kia or Hyuandai "Jeep" and wearing a T Shirt. More often than not they have the kids with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Light snow flurries here near Arklow again
    Currently 2.7/-1 on the Davis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Expecting nothing from Sunday’s event. Just back from walking the dogs and it has turned noticeably milder compared to earlier. Pleasant enough out of the breeze. Talking to a roads council worker earlier and he said that he has heard no talk of significant snow for Donegal for Sunday although they will be gritting tonight and tomorrow night for frosty and icy conditions.

I heard Siobhan Ryan on the radio earlier. I have a feeling she will regret using words like dump and significant.... we shall see. When it comes to weather I always like to be proven wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement