Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rodar08 wrote: »
    I’m sorry but I’m confused.. so is this entire thread about the east of Ireland??

Usually with snow threads if it’s for the west and north it’s relatively quiet.

On the other hand if it’s for the east and especially the greater Dublin area it’s usually packed out and provides great entertainment well into the early hours! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭thedeere

What are the models saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Time to wrap this thread up folks. Flogging a dead horse at this stage.

Will you revise your position if some parts of the country see snow on Thursday night into Friday? Of course it all go pear shaped, but there does seem to be a window, albeit a small one, for snow in some parts of the country.
    Granted it won't lead to anything more than modest accumulations at ground level.
    With this in mind It has been said many times before, but we need to get some perspective on snowfall on this island, the amount of snow in 2010 has distorted our expectations, we only occasionally get significant accumulations at lower level in this country , and usually it's gone after a day or two. There were some exceptions in the 80's, but overall
    significant snow events are rare here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Awesome 00z gfs
    Several chances from 2 slider lows over wknd of a serious dumping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Awesome 00z gfs

hmmm, but the same runs are not showing upper temps low enough for snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

kod87 wrote: »
    Awesome 00z gfs

hmmm, but the same runs are not showing upper temps low enough for snow
    Are they not? What charts are u looking at 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Are they not? What charts are u looking at ��

Just looking at gfs, has -3/-4 uppers over most of country around the timeframe for the slider lows ( and maybe -2 under the associated precipitation not to mention relatively high dam thickness at the same time ), as I said it would need to change drastically for any snowfall from that, even for high ground

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The 00Z GFS has downgraded 850-1000 thicknesses compared to previous runs. Hovering around 1290 m now, compared to sub-1280 before. In Ireland, 1290 m has usually been the threshold for mixed precipitation, and that's more on the cards now. With such low 850 temperatures, this higher thickness is now probably due to its better handling of modification of the lowest layer, which it hadn't done well before this. Coastal locations may just see rain or a mix, but inland a better chance of snow early Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The 00Z GFS has downgraded 850-1000 thicknesses compared to previous runs. Hovering around 1290 m now, compared to sub-1280 before. In Ireland, 1290 m has usually been the threshold for mixed precipitation, and that's more on the cards now. With such low 850 temperatures, this higher thickness is now probably due to its better handling of modification of the lowest layer, which it hadn't done well before this. Coastal locations may just see rain or a mix, but inland a better chance of snow early Friday morning.

Thanks for your views. Would heavier precipitation bring a stronger chance of snow and have you any view of these slider lows or is it guesswork at this range?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The modification is surely just due to a different structure of the low than an inherient issue with the GFS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I’m not sold on there being much snow anywhere apart from high ground on the basis of what I can see this morning on UKMO, GFS and ECM charts, though there may be rogue snowfalls in one place it will be rain in another. That’s in the next 3-4 days. However I feel we are in a very favorable position all round to see further chances for snow right through December. The models are continuing to take the jet stream south with ever more potent scenarios appearing in FI. So optimistic long term a bit more cynical short term

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

thedeere wrote: »
    What are the models saying?

Giselle reckons there'll be snow alright, but Naomi Campbell thinks it's just going to be frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The modification is surely just due to a different structure of the low than an inherient issue with the GFS?

The GFS had been showing lower dewpoints over the whole country compared to the other models, meaning it was underdoing the depth of the modified layer. It's highly unlikely we'll get the -4 values it was progging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Giselle reckons there'll be snow alright, but Naomi Campbell thinks it's just going to be frost.

:D:D:D You are wasted on this thread.Head over to After Hours.We will welcome you with open arms with a legendary reply like that

Controversial post coming up,look away if you are of a sensitive nature

Snow and ice can bugger off until 21st December
    The weather can do what it likes then from 22nd Dec to 2nd of Jan as I don't have to drive to work on untreated Local roads
    I would assume all the posters on here praying for Snow either :-
    1.Don't work
    2.Live within walking distance of work
    3.Rely on public transport to get to work
    4.Get paid if they can't get in due to weather conditions
    Sorry to be such a sourpuss but surely you can see my point?.I can't get to work,I don't get paid :0(
    (Skulks off back to after hours)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Steve F wrote: »

The weather can do what it likes then from 22nd Dec to 2nd of Jan as I don't have to drive to work on untreated Local roads
    1.Don't work
    Sorry to be such a sourpuss but surely you can see my point?.I can't get to work,I don't get paid :0(

I love snow and I also love the challenge of driving in icy/snowy conditions. That might sound weird but it's true. I live in the country and I do have an old banger of a car which helps. The roads in urban areas always tend to be grand.
    I remember hitting a few ditches and walls in 2010 at low speed. Great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Work, 40km each way commute, driving, will have to take leave if I can't get in.... Praying for snow!

I love snow and I also love the challenge of driving in icy/snowy conditions. That might sound weird but it's true. I live in the country and I do have an old banger of a car which helps. The roads in urban areas always tend to be grand.
    I remember hitting a few ditches and walls in 2010 at low speed. Great craic!

:D

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Work, 40km each way commute, driving, will have to take leave if I can't get in.... Praying for snow!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

1.Don't work

Personally, I don't actually care if the roads are in poor condition, considering how rare snow events are I'd happily take that downfall for the beauty that is snow!

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Personally, I don't actually care if the roads are in poor condition, considering how rare snow events are I'd happily take that downfall for the beauty that is snow!

Fair play.Good answer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I finding it a struggle to muster any excitement about this upcoming spell. Mixed prep with perhaps some watery smatherings by night. I've seen better set ups in May.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I finding it a struggle to muster any excitement about this upcoming spell. Mixed prep with perhaps some watery smatherings by night. I've seen better set ups in May.

Was thinking the same myself
    Models of a Sunday have got to the stage that they’re almost not worth looking at for the following Thursday or Friday in terms of determining things re snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Met eireann mention accumulations in their forecast :)

Yipiiiiii I'm so excited at the prospects of snow here across the west and Northwest,to watch the white gold falling,come on people in the east,cheer up, :) ,I'm sure you will see some snow too at some stage during the winter!!!

Choo choo all aboard the snow train across the west and Northwest WOOOPIIIIIIII....

:):):)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

After the last few winters at least it’s a taste of something seasonal , I had very very few ground frosts last season ,already had a few to end autumn off and hopefully the NH pattern delivers at some stage this winter .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

People actually worry about driving conditions my friend. Only penguins like snow not any sane minded human being. People lose there lives in poor driving conditions hate to have another fatality on the road even while experiencing the snow buzz :rolleyes:

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    People actually worry about driving conditions my friend. Only penguins like snow not any sane minded human being. People lose there lives in poor driving conditions hate to have another fatality on the road even while experiencing the snow buzz :rolleyes:

Oh I'm sorry, I'll just stop the snow then considering that I personally control the weather.

Ridiculous comment.

Oh I'm sorry, I'll just stop the snow then considering that I personally control the weather.

Ridiculous comment.

Oh no,what did I start?:(

Oh no,what did I start?:(

Ah ya can't help stupid :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Best I can find from some mediocre charts

435307.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement