Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Best I can find from some mediocre charts

435307.gif

Seems to be getting watered down by the hour! I know those charts can be very hit and miss but we're definitely not getting any upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Snow showers are expected to become increasingly frequent over northern Scotland late on Thursday and are expected across many other parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and western England on Friday. 2-5 cm of snow is likely for some, with 10-20 cm possible over high ground, mainly Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. Icy surfaces are also likely to be an additional hazard, especially overnight. Strong northwest winds may cause drifting of the snow in places with blizzard conditions possible at times across northern Scotland. The heaviest and most frequent of the snow showers will progressively become confined to northeast Scotland during Saturday. Some roads and railways likely to be affected with longer journey times by road, bus and for train services. Probably some icy patches on some untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths. Some injuries from slips and falls on icy and snowy surfaces.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2017-12-09&lat=54.6629&lon=-5.6619

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    People actually worry about driving conditions my friend. Only penguins like snow not any sane minded human being. People lose there lives in poor driving conditions hate to have another fatality on the road even while experiencing the snow buzz :rolleyes:

Im sure youve been happy about a hot sunny day in summer
    Yeh well old people die in that due to heat stroke and dehydration in ireland as air con is rare
    We can all be petty and ridiculous :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Nothing mild about the Met E forecast, I was expecting a repeat with a warm front toppling over the high giving us this vile anticyclonic gloom but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Current indications suggest wet and windy weather for Sunday and a cold northwest wind bringing wintry showers on to the west coast again for Monday.

People lose there lives in poor driving conditions hate to have another fatality on the road even while experiencing the snow buzz
    No offence but that's a ridiculous comment, most lives are lost due to excessive speeding which isn't possible in snowy conditions. Snowfall may cause disruption but it does slow down traffic and keeps many cars off the road.
    People lose their lives on the roads in perfect weather conditions too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Seems to be getting watered down by the hour! I know those charts can be very hit and miss but we're definitely not getting any upgrades.

Certainly no upgrades but they were not spectacular to begin with, hence why I thought this thread was a bit OTT to begin with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

wakka12 wrote: »
    Im sure youve been happy about a hot sunny day in summer
    Yeh well old people die in that due to heat stroke and dehydration in ireland as air con is rare
    We can all be petty and ridiculous :rolleyes:

Ya but on that hot sunny day I can get a lovely tan with a bottle of beer in my hand. Looking at nature alive in all its summer glory not so in winter my friend. Its all dead and cold and the forecast this winter is mild and no Snow for poor Joe. Brace yourselves for another snowless winter because Jack Frost is in Tenerife.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ya but on that hot sunny day I can get a lovely tan with a bottle of beer in my hand. Looking at nature alive in all its summer glory not so in winter my friend. Its all dead and cold and the forecast this winter is mild and no Snow for poor Joe. Brace yourselves for another snowless winter because Jack Frost is in Tenerife.....

So because you don't like it, you get to insult anyone who does?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

kod87 wrote: »
    hmmm, but the same runs are not showing upper temps low enough for snow.

In frontal /slider low conditions you don't need uppers in the sub -5 degree range, often just above freezing will do provided there is cold air entrenched, and that winds are light - this prevents mixing of the cold surface air, and more importantly dew points remain on the right side.

Most of the epic snowfalls of times gone by have occurred in less than cold uppers, indeed the best snowfalls occur in marginal set ups, the boundary between heavy snow and heavy rain is often starkly narrow.

So on rare occasions we end up with a dumping of snow rather than cold rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

In frontal /slider low conditions you don't need uppers in the sub -5 degree range, often just above freezing will do provided there is cold air entrenched, and that winds are light - this prevents mixing of the cold surface air, and more importantly dew points remain on the right side.

Most of the epic snowfalls of times gone by have occurred in less than cold uppers, indeed the best snowfalls occur in marginal set ups, the boundary between heavy snow and heavy rain is often starkly narrow.

So on rare occasions we end up with a dumping of snow rather than cold rain.

ah ok, I have such little experience of slider low/ frontal snow I assumed you needed conditions similar to what you need for snow showers. Good to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Steve F wrote: »
    Controversial post coming up,look away if you are of a sensitive nature

Snow and ice can bugger off until 21st December
    The weather can do what it likes then from 22nd Dec to 2nd of Jan as I don't have to drive to work on untreated Local roads
    I would assume all the posters on here praying for Snow either :-
    1.Don't work
    2.Live within walking distance of work
    3.Rely on public transport to get to work
    4.Get paid if they can't get in due to weather conditions
    Sorry to be such a sourpuss but surely you can see my point?.I can't get to work,I don't get paid :0(
    (Skulks off back to after hours)

Whatever will be, will be.

Whether people are 'praying', hoping, or wishing for particular weather, it has absolutely no effect on the outcome (sorry if people think otherwise about the whole praying shebang).

So basically, don't worry about what other people are hoping for, it won't change what actually happens - if it's going to snow, this thread isn't going to change that fact (although it might help you prepare better for it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well what we enjoy is subjective. I like sun and I like snow. We never get snow though ever, so thats why I really want it to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'm supposed to be heading from Carlow to Sligo after work on Friday night for the weekend. I haven't time to check the models at the moment. Should I risk it and come back on Saturday afternoon or just not bother?

Can't affird to get stuck up there and don't want to be driving at quarter speed on the way up either. Any opinions?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I'm supposed to be heading from Carlow to Sligo after work on Friday night for the weekend. I haven't time to check the models at the moment. Should I risk it and come back on Saturday afternoon or just not bother?

Can't affird to get stuck up there and don't want to be driving at quarter speed on the way up either. Any opinions?

You'll not be getting stuck anywhere, unless you're travelling up mountains in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭beco

Storm Caroline passing through!!!
    Warning has been issued.

beco wrote: »
    Storm Caroline passing through!!!
    Warning has been issued.

To be clear, it's a Met Office UK warning, so no real effects for Ireland, and mainly only for Scotland even within the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Personally, I don't actually care if the roads are in poor condition, considering how rare snow events are I'd happily take that downfall for the beauty that is snow!

People actually worry about driving conditions my friend. Only penguins like snow not any sane minded human being. People lose there lives in poor driving conditions hate to have another fatality on the road even while experiencing the snow buzz :rolleyes:
    As much as u hate snow and love dry boring weather it's the opposite for us we love snow and cold weather.
    We simply make the most of it and enjoy our favourite weather as do u but to say we are wrong or stupid coz we want it to snow is just madness. Few people like this every year and it drives me mad.
    Also if people wanting it to snow and be cold annoys u your following the wrong page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

MJohnston wrote: »
    To be clear, it's a Met Office UK warning, so no real effects for Ireland, and mainly only for Scotland even within the UK.

To be clear ,There are knock on effects,Met eireann have issued a Yellow warning for western counties regarding strong winds up to 110 kmph which are a consequence of storm Caroline.

It'll hit Ireland, however it would not have been named if not for the Met Office, don't expect much more than a normal winter gale!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

JCX BXC wrote: »
    don't expect much more than a normal winter gale!

When it comes to the Irish climate, generally rule of thumb is to expect nothing. Only thing is, you'll still end up disappointed.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

As much as u hate snow and love dry boring weather it's the opposite for us we love snow and cold weather.
    We simply make the most of it and enjoy our favourite weather as do u but to say we are wrong or stupid coz we want it to snow is just madness. Few people like this every year and it drives me mad.
    Also if people wanting it to snow and be cold annoys u your following the wrong page.
    Whilst I agree with most of this,please don’t use text speak :(
    Coz and U for example

This is looking like the usual 36 hour wonder and at that even more isolated to the favored areas than it was looking only 3 or 4 days ago
    For instance the front will clear before Thursday morning so no back edge snow or even hill snow on that and the cold air ,a weakened version of cold too,will take most of thursday now to filter in properly
    Models are wide parameters these days,worse they’re getting!
    Particulars are for human forecasters who know the nuances enough to over rule what a model strictly says will happen in complicated chaos

That’s being realistic,no point sugar coating
    It’s not to say something more interesting won’t eventually happen,I’d say it will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Met Eireann have issued a yellow wind alert for Thursday on the west and north because of Storm Caroline.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Met Eireann have issued a yellow wind alert for Thursday on the west and north because of Storm Caroline.

Already been said on here.

Anyway, this is probably better off in the general winter thread as it doesn't have much of a relation to the topic at hand here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    When it comes to the Irish climate, generally rule of thumb is to expect nothing. Only thing is, you'll still end up disappointed.

Oneiric 3, do you think we will get much in Galway?

Oneiric 3, do you think we will get much in Galway?

Depends on where in Galway you are,in the city or high ground
    But you will have at least some snow showers over there (and rain hail and sleet)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Exactly. That's the way i see it. Expect little or nothing and then anything that does come is a bonus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

we can't even get one shower of snow most winters, yet Tasmania off southern Australia, was enjoying some Summer snow over high ground recently http://www.smh.com.au/national/it-might-be-summer-but-its-snowing-in-tasmania-20171203-gzxw2f.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

To make matters worse for us after the downgrades of this week,

We could be looking at the ultimate winter kick in the teeth for us Weatherwise this Sunday as that Atlantic front dumps rain over us and dumps snow over GB. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

In fairness we do get snow every year, just depends on where you are. Even the past two winters here in Dublin, while they have been pretty mild and useless on the snow front we did have a day or two of snow both winters.
    unfortunately when it comes to the UK and Ireland, unless you live in the Scottish highlands, you are unlikely to see much snow. Donegal and Wicklow mountains seem to be the best bet in Ireland but I have a feeling that this winter will deliver better for snow in most areas.
    For some context, a friend of mine is living in London for four years now and said he has hardly seen a snowflake.
    Scotland is the only reliable place for snow. That being said I was in Edinburgh all last week and there wasn't any snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

pad199207 wrote: »
    To make matters worse for us after the downgrades of this week,

We could be looking at the ultimate winter kick in the teeth for us Weatherwise this Sunday as that Atlantic front dumps rain over us and dumps snow over GB. :(
    Still to early to say for sure as we are still on a fine line. The northern half of Ireland could still hold onto cold air and get a good dump of snow from that low

• Advertisement

Still to early to say for sure as we are still on a fine line. The northern half of Ireland could still hold onto cold air and get a good dump of snow from that low

Up in the Cooley’s and the mournes maybe but Rain for Dundalk I’d say

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement