Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Heuston South Quarter/Kilmainham area

Options
  • 02-12-2017 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Moving into an apartment in Heuston South Quarter, right next door to Eir HSQ and up the street from Heuston Train Station

Just wondering what general thoughts are on the area/amenities/proximity to city centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Well, obviously Heuston is next to you and has a small M&S. Luas is right beside it, bike station and a number of buses pass by. There is a bike station located just beside your apt too. Supervalu is right next to you and is decent enough with a bank machine inside. There is a gym there also that is open for 24 hours.
    The IMMA is beside you which has nice gardens and green areas for walking in.

So, you have food, exercise, culture and transport. Not too bad all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Maldesu wrote: »
    Well, obviously Heuston is next to you and has a small M&S. Luas is right beside it, bike station and a number of buses pass by. There is a bike station located just beside your apt too. Supervalu is right next to you and is decent enough with a bank machine inside. There is a gym there also that is open for 24 hours.
    The IMMA is beside you which has nice gardens and green areas for walking in.

So, you have food, exercise, culture and transport. Not too bad all round.

That's great thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

And the Phoenix Park just across from you. Well done on getting a place there!

Birneybau wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Great spot. I live not too far from there and it's handy for everywhere in Dublin given the proximity to M50 and city centre

• Advertisement

Great spot. I live not too far from there and it's handy for everywhere in Dublin given the proximity to M50 and city centre

Seems to be really close to city centre whilst at the same time a good distance away from the hustle and bustle :)

ha. Completely forgot about that!

There is a garda station nearby, but hopefully you won't need that - and the hospital. Supervalu has a car park too. There is a pharmacy, a subway and insomnia at HSQ. Have a feeling I'm missing some other shop. Giraffe childcare is there too if you have a kiddie. Union 8 is a nice enough restaurant not very far away for a little bit of eating out, as is one of the FX Buckley places.
    Any pets? There is a vet on Old Kilmainham.

Nearby hotels include the Aisling and Hilton in case you get visitors trying to invade.

ha. Completely forgot about that!

There is a garda station nearby, but hopefully you won't need that - and the hospital. Supervalu has a car park too. There is a pharmacy, a subway and insomnia at HSQ. Have a feeling I'm missing some other shop. Giraffe childcare is there too if you have a kiddie. Union 8 is a nice enough restaurant not very far away for a little bit of eating out, as is one of the FX Buckley places.
    Any pets? There is a vet on Old Kilmainham.

Nearby hotels include the Aisling and Hilton in case you get visitors trying to invade.

That all sounds bloody fantastic :D

The complex also has a dry cleaners for my suits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

And don't forget Ryans pub on Parkgate Street. Nice spot. Five minutes walk.

It is a hub area for transport, and it is so close to town. Perfect place to live IMO. So many amenities on your doorstep. Good planning for once.

Best of luck there.

All really positive :) Thanks folks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just be aware of what’s happening around you after dark. It can get hairy around there chancers trying to mug you. Happened me last year on that road by the big gate into kilmaham and a mate of mine only recently near the same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

There is a mobile methadone clinic (Large white bus) parked there every evening from around 7pm until 8pm if i recall rightly.
    It also provides a needle exchange service for those that need it.
    I'm not scaremongering, it's just good to be aware of what's what.

Thanks everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No mention of the royal Oak! I'm in shock a great little pub as well. I lived in kilmainham for 6 years loved it for the most part

gmisk wrote: »
    No mention of the royal Oak! I'm in shock a great little pub as well. I lived in kilmainham for 6 years loved it for the most part

Any pubs in the area do food/have sport on TV?

Patriot’s Inn isn’t too far

I remember going there a few years ago when I was working at Forbidden Fruit

Old mans pub? Dart board?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Nancy Hands is quite nice.

By the way if you're facing the eir side don't be alarmed if you see people in offices jumping up and flapping their hands. My friend works there and the lights are motion activated and go off regularly so it is quite normal for them to get up and flap. Looks odd.

I saw your thread in another forum about how often you should have someone stay over. Personally it wouldn't bother me as long as it wasn't every night but it is something you need to discuss. It is easier with an en suite. Also I know a friend who although happy with her house mate was very unhappy that the housemate (who she had met) copied the key and gave to her boyfriend who let himself in as and when he wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Nancy Hands is quite nice.

By the way if you're facing the eir side don't be alarmed if you see people in offices jumping up and flapping their hands. My friend works there and the lights are motion activated and go off regularly so it is quite normal for them to get up and flap. Looks odd.

I saw your thread in another forum about how often you should have someone stay over. Personally it wouldn't bother me as long as it wasn't every night but it is something you need to discuss. It is easier with an en suite. Also I know a friend who although happy with her house mate was very unhappy that the housemate (who she had met) copied the key and gave to her boyfriend who let himself in as and when he wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Shrup to ****. It's already being overrun with hipsters! :pac:

• Advertisement

Inn jokes in the patriots is a must by the way - Colm O Regan hosts and gets a great mix of big names and new comedians (I have seen foil arms and hogs, Tommy Tiernan, Ardal O Hanlon, Des Bishop and a load more) its free they just pass around a hat at the end.

Inn jokes in the patriots is a must by the way - Colm O Regan hosts and gets a great mix of big names and new comedians (I have seen foil arms and hogs, Tommy Tiernan, Ardal O Hanlon, Des Bishop and a load more) its free they just pass around a hat at the end.

Jesus, that's class- right on my doorstep :) will check it out. Thanks! :D

Jesus, that's class- right on my doorstep :) will check it out. Thanks! :D
    No worries it is a lot of fun! once a month but dates a bit random it was on 29th last month.
    Also for food Enoteca Torino (now o'liva) in inchicore is a pretty good wee italian, might take you 10/15 max to walk.

The grounds around that hospital St.Pats look scarily gothic, wonder if they do tours :D

Don't think so as it's still a working hospital. It was, of course, founded by Jonathan Swift, who got the land off Ms. Steevens who ran/founded the Dr. Steeven's hospital which is now the HSE offices. They sometimes do a tour of that part. (Some random info for the day) There is still a library in there which Trinity tried to take if off them when they moved out.

The war memorial gardens are neary by though, just a short walk from the HSQ and are really nice in summer. You can watch the rowers on the canal from there.

I remember going there a few years ago when I was working at Forbidden Fruit

Old mans pub? Dart board?

Pretty much, yeah. Right beside the Royal Hospital/across from Kilmainham Jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Don't think so as it's still a working hospital. It was, of course, founded by Jonathan Swift, who got the land off Ms. Steevens who ran/founded the Dr. Steeven's hospital which is now the HSE offices. They sometimes do a tour of that part. (Some random info for the day) There is still a library in there which Trinity tried to take if off them when they moved out.

The war memorial gardens are neary by though, just a short walk from the HSQ and are really nice in summer. You can watch the rowers on the canal from there.

these really are a hidden gem!

Loving what I'm hearing guys, thanks so much

I'll do a bit of exploring this weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Living here two years. Both locations and the quality of the apartments are fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Heard the Patriot's Inn grub is meant to be decent, I've ate in Ryans (FX Buckleys) which is good.

I've walked past Eamonn Rea's a couple of times - looks to be an avoidable pub.

Advertisement