Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting a dog proof hedge.

Options
  • 02-12-2017 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

I am looking for information on planting/laying a hedge that would be suitable as a boundary for dogs.

I would prefer to go down this route rather than ugly fencing or walls.

How do I know what soil type I have and what species to plant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I would suggest you might need to put a fence in- at least initially until the hedge becomes established. Having said that, I'm struggling to think of a hedge type that would stop a dog from getting through-pyracanthus is fairly impenetrable, but most shrubs are "gappy" right at the base- and a small dog would probably be able to burrow through.

A light mesh fence (chicken wire grade) put up using metal posts would have the minimal visual impact, and a well planted hedge would soon cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What sort of dog?

How long is the boundary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No matter what hedge you grow you will need to put a fence of some sort to secure a dog. A wire fence may be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I haven't got my own dog at the moment, we do have a dog at the old family home but I am looking to make the garden secure for the future because we would like to have a couple of dogs in the future.

Its more of a living fence idea that I've seen, or a laid hedge, obviously the hedge would have to be well established to begin laying but I'd like to make a start.

The lengths of the boundary that I want to cover are about 135ft in total.

Many dogs can be trained to respect a physical barrier that they could jump over if they wanted.

However, a determined dog can jump several times its own height, even a 2m fence might mot be enough.

I had this issue with a ~200m open boundary and ended up getting small terriers and a 4ft post and rail fence with mesh stapled to it and bull wire running along the bottom. I'd love a larger dog but there's no way I could keep it in. A neighbour's lurcher occasionally leaps their 6ft wall and comes to visit, and is chased out - they've had to add another foot of fencing to the top in an attempt to keep it in.

Layed hedges (typically hawthorn) are typically not very tall, because cows and sheep can't jump over 3ft. But they are very deep. I don't think they'd keep a determined dog in.

You could grow a very thorny hedge e.g. pyracantha, but then you have to deal with evil clippings. And hedges tend to have gaps at the bottom.

I did consider growing a double staggered thorny hedge either side of a low mesh fence, but didn't have the patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Its a rough collie we have at the home place and never had any issue with him trying to jump our fence but good points raised there.

The house is surrounded by a small wooded area, I was hoping to add a bit of security and privacy to the place with the hedge also without it sticking out like a sore thumb.

I have a nice bit of clearing to do first and will have a digger in there to do a bit of leveling in the garden so maybe I could make a bit of a raised ditch with some of the earth and plant on top of that for an extra bit of height.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Be aware that thorns that might put the dog off can also injure it. There is only one way to safely confine a dog. But I have two dogs & no fences. They get two good walks a day & are happy & safe in the house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lumen wrote: »
    You could grow a very thorny hedge e.g. pyracantha, but then you have to deal with evil clippings.

Pyracantha can be very attractive though, between flowers and berries, and not a bad option if you put down a mesh fence and grow the hedge into it. We've a few wild roses growing through ours that also add an occasional splash of extra colour that looks fantastic. Clippings are a bit harsh for sure and even the shredder struggles with them.

smacl wrote: »
    Pyracantha can be very attractive though, between flowers and berries, and not a bad option if you put down a mesh fence and grow the hedge into it. We've a few wild roses growing through ours that also add an occasional splash of extra colour that looks fantastic.
    Excellent, this is what I have planned. I've a post-and-rail fence in front of a berm with ornamental hedge being grown 3ft in front of it, and am going to stick something thorny on the other side on the berm. Hopefully there will be enough light for everything to be happy.

My dogs are currently digging up my new hedge. Little feckers. May need to put mesh down. Didn't really want to have to do this with 140 plants. :mad:

Advertisement