Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Dublin City specific drink related questions

Options
  • 02-12-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

I have 2 very specific requests, which I am struggling with currently so have come to the land of the locals to hopefully help me out.

Request #1, the easier I hope.

I was a pub in the city centre, preferably near O'Connell Street which serves Strongbow on tap. I found/remember a couple but they are not in the vicinity.

Request #2, the tough one.

I need to find somewhere that sells Kilkenny in bottles.

Most offies sell them in cans but I need to get them in bottles due to someone being fairly particular and after trying around 15 off licenses, and emailing Kilkenny themselves with no reply(will ring them last resort) I am hoping someone here can help.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

As far as I know, The Brew dock sell strongbow on draught. Five mins walk from O Connell St. The Luas also stops outside. Cant be of any regarding bottles of kilkenny though bud. In fact, the only places I ever come across it is in Irish pubs on the continent, usually on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

As far as I know, The Brew dock sell strongbow on draught. Five mins walk from O Connell St. The Luas also stops outside. Cant be of any regarding bottles of kilkenny though bud. In fact, the only places I ever come across it is in Irish pubs on the continent, usually on draught.

I would be very surprised if The Brew Dock serves Strongbow, considering they're a Craft Beer Pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I would be very surprised if The Brew Dock serves Strongbow, considering they're a Craft Beer Pub.

It does/did. That and also thatchers cider were the year round ciders and every month or so a small batch of 'guest' cider would pop up. It's like fischers lager, sold all year round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Never saw strongbow on tap. Kilkenny does not come in bottles. Really bizarre questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,147 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Kilkenny doesnt come in bottles. If your friend had Kilkenny abroad it was probably Smithwicks Red.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

Nah it definitely comes in bottles, just never seen it in an offie in Ireland myself.
    Just abroad.

Also the only place I remember seeing Strongbow on tap in Ireland is Wetherspoons, was hoping there was somewhere in town but not looking likely.

Very odd requests I know, thought asking the masses might produce a result. Cheers anyway

kilkenny-irish-cream-ale-beer-ireland-10409638.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Kilkenny doesnt come in bottles. If your friend had Kilkenny abroad it was probably Smithwicks Red.

They sell it in 330ml bottles in Germany.

https://www.edekanord-shop.de/lueck/products/kilkenny-irish-beer-6x0-33l-117257

Have you ever had a pint of Kilkenny in Ireland? And did it taste like what was in the bottle? Because otherwise my instincts would be that what was in that bottle was Smithwicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Have you ever had a pint of Kilkenny in Ireland? And did it taste like what was in the bottle? Because otherwise my instincts would be that what was in that bottle was Smithwicks.

I always just assumed that it was re-branded Smithwicks. The one time that I did have a pint of Kilkenny in Ireland, it didn't taste like the draft that you'd get outside of Ireland and I've never bought a bottle of it to check.

OP, I'd check here: http://www.sweeneyswines.ie/beer - They have a great selection of beers and I would imagine that if they cannot get it for you then it's probably not possible.

OP play it safe... get Smithwicks red bottled and cans of Kilkenny and have both ready at 15 degrees. Taste test!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

How about pint bottles of McArdles, the tastiest red ale going? (Although I'm sure some beer bores will be along to correct me.)

https://www.irishhampers.ie/mcardle-s-irish-ale.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Brewdock hasn't had Strongbow on draft for at least 3-6 months. Doubt it ever did.

Aspall is their cider

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Cool_CM wrote: »

A six pack of that was responsible for one of the worst hangovers I ever had in my life !! 8 years later and I can still recall that day vividly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

As far as I know, The Brew dock sell strongbow on draught.

Yeah, right beside the Budweiser tap 😋
    ...no, they don't sell strongbow but you might get it in the area from a local tramp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Thatchers and Strongbow are weatherspoons ciders so guess he got confused with them.

Advertisement