Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim Johnston no longer with WWE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Sad news he wrote so many classics and should be in the hof for all of them

He did seem to be phased out since cfo have come aboard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

sky88 wrote: »
    Sad news he wrote so many classics and should be in the hof for all of them

He did seem to be phased out since cfo have come aboard

CFO do some great work as well but it's 30 seconds at a time, every theme song by them is just on a loop

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sad to hear. He provided the soundtrack to some of our greatest memories. I agree that he should be given a place in their Hall of Fame as a thank you. He should be in there already honestly. I mean they'll give a spot to a celebrity who showed up for a few minutes as a way to gain themselves publicity, but not a guy that spent hours of his day helping make their characters more appealing to the public. It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Very sad this day has come. WWE have been looking to bounce him out for a while, too. He got a cushy royalties deal from way back (and rightly so, he's been creating masterpieces for WWE in 4 different decades) and WWE want to own 'em outright (which is where CFO$ come in).

Hopefully WWE acknowledge his outstanding, immeasurable addition to WWE and put him in the HoF. What would Austin be without his song? Or Taker? Or Warrior?Or the coolness of DX?

On the bright side, his legacy in wrestling can't be equalled, and his last WWE song was a belter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

32 years with them in some capacity I think I read, and by no means wanted to go apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Should be in the HoF for this alone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

J. Marston wrote: »
    Should be in the HoF for this alone...

That entrance was excellent!! The theme suited him to the ground!! That and DX were my two favs from that era! WWE The Music wa purchased a few times in that era!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

The only issue with him going into HOF is that he suffers from stage fright which would prevent from doing a speech on stage.

I said a few weeks ago on here that CFO$ is muck compared to Jim Johnston since he really does put a lot of effort into his songs rather than 1 min loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

CFO$ are far from muck. You can be a fan of Jim Johnston without dumping on them.

Seriously, they've done amazing themes such as Nakamura, Bobby Roode's Glorious, AJ Styles, Asuka and Finn Balor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

mod note: made this it's own thread.

Absolutely Omackeral, CFO$ do make repetitive loops but they have fans singing multiple songs so they're definitely doing a great job!

Jim Johnston & WWF wrestlers talks about Volume 4 (Rock, Jericho etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm sure he has made enough money that he won't have to go into the indy music scene and be a session musician ;)

John Jimston writes the new TNA signature tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

John Jimston writes the new TNA signature tune.

Whoever TNA had years ago was far better thsn the themes then in WWE.
    Kevin Nash basically had 'Kashmir' by Led Zepellin & James Storm old theme used a lot of notes from 'When the Levee breaks' as well. Roode had a great theme too, not good enough to make a one note gimmick out of mind. Daniels used to have Marilyn Manson audio only one, Styles & Jarrett were fantastic ones too.
    Joe had a good albeit stereotypical theme not the crap Baby Elephant remix he has now.
    Cringey as it is to say I used to like Jeff Hardy's custom made themes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

ahhh

he made some classics in his time and the NXT themes are almost the whole character for some of the superstars

best of luck to him

This is from a few years ago - it's a list of his top 10 favourite theme songs that he's composed.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/classic-lists/jim-johnston-10-favorite-themes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Omackeral wrote: »
    CFO$ are far from muck. You can be a fan of Jim Johnston without dumping on them.

Seriously, they've done amazing themes such as Nakamura, Bobby Roode's Glorious, AJ Styles, Asuka and Finn Balor.

It is matter of opinion, I just think that majority of their songs just sound awfully generic on a loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Gijoseph

CFO$ are literally every modern pop stereotype. Jim johnston added an original and timeless feel to a superstars entrance.

Another nail in this wrestling fans fandom. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

This is from a few years ago - it's a list of his top 10 favourite theme songs that he's composed.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/classic-lists/jim-johnston-10-favorite-themes

No surprise My Time is in there.

Maria's is a guilty pleasure WWE theme too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jim deserves to be held in the highest regard by WWE. Literally the soundtrack to some of the biggest stars in the past 30 years.

I really hope he's acknowledged in the HOF

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sounds like it wasn't his decision and not parting on good terms

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

his replacement has a lot to live up too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

For a duo, CFO$ aren't too bad, but they haven't a patch on Johnson's legendary list of entrance themes.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sounds like it wasn't his decision and not parting on good terms

Where are you hearing that?

I thought he wanted out the door?

I'm a huge Johnston fan, but the CFO lads don't seem too bad. So much so that I didnt really notice their themes jarring against Johnston's. They all seem to blend in well enough. I like a few of the CFO themes but keep in mind Johnston does a lot of 30sec loops, too.

I still think Slow Chemical is among the best WWE themes ever (albeit performed by Finger Eleven, but Johnston wrote it, so...). A lot of the Rick Derringer tracks were good, too, Like Demolition (and did he do Boss Man's 'Hard Times'?)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Where are you hearing that?

I thought he wanted out the door?

I'm a huge Johnston fan, but the CFO lads don't seem too bad. So much so that I didnt really notice their themes jarring against Johnston's. They all seem to blend in well enough. I like a few of the CFO themes but keep in mind Johnston does a lot of 30sec loops, too.

I still think Slow Chemical is among the best WWE themes ever (albeit performed by Finger Eleven, but Johnston wrote it, so...). A lot of the Rick Derringer tracks were good, too, Like Demolition (and did he do Boss Man's 'Hard Times'?)
    When asked if possibly the split with the WWE was mutual and that maybe Johnston was just ready to go after putting in over three decades with the company, ThemeTitan responded, very directly, that that was definitely not the case

https://www.thesportster.com/wrestling/wwe-release-music-composer-jim-johnston/

Advertisement