Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clever responses you wish you had said at the time

• 02-12-2017 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

We've all been there, but there are silly comments and disingenuous questions that people come out with regularly, and it's good to be prepared.

So here's my contribution: I'm out cutting the grass, and someone shouts over "you can do mine next!"
    - "You couldn't afford my hourly fee!" (that's the best I could do myself... not great better than a mangled, insincere "haha!")

Here's a nice one I heard a girl in work come out with when her manager saw her arriving in a fancy new car:
    "I'm obviously paying you too much!"
    - "It's a good thing I have family money, because I'd be driving a 12-year-old Micra if I had to live on what I get here!"

One I read in a crime novel, when a prosecutor was trying to imply that a witness moved in dodgy circles: "so it's fair to say you'd know how to get your hands on a weapon?"
    - "No more than yourself Counsel. Any idiot can walk into a bar on the Eastside and start asking the right questions."

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭thedeere

Just call them no hopers, the ones on the rock and roll find it grossly offensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

'The only queue you'll be skipping is the queue at the hospital'

(Davy Joyce iirc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

You could say he's barking up the wrong tree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Looks like someone's barking up the wrong bush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

My father had some disagreement with a man in a pub. The man and his friend followed him into the toilets and produced a butter knife.

My dad said to himself if he backed down they'd bash him so he laughed at them and said "what are you going to do? Butter me?" and they left it at that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

No point in a thumbtack following a six inch nail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You know that piece of meat that gets stuck in your teeth after eating. You're that.

Or something to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

When you stare at someone and they ask what are you looking at? You reply, not much.

What did your last slave die of? Lack of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Or "I beat him to death for being insolent" followed up with a death stare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

When a old relative of mine was stopped by a member of the Gardai as to why he was pulling a cart on the main road...he replied...

“Sure all the donkeys went to templemore”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Since you know it all you should know when to shut the f**k up.

When I got called fat: the reason I'm so fat is because every time I f**k your husband he gives me a biscuit

I have neither the time or the crayons to explain it to you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

rightyabe wrote: »
    When a old relative of mine was stopped by a member of the Gardai as to why he was pulling a cart on the main road...he replied...

These days they apparently recruit all types, people with college degrees even who want to work for 25000 a year.

In the old days it was a profession for clowns, the last resort for the retarded black sheep of the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

rightyabe wrote: »

When a Garda stopped a man driving the wrong way down a one way street he asked him did he know that it's a one way street. The man replied but I'm only going one way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

**** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Shut up Becky!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Shut up Becky!

Was going to say same myself but thought it was too niche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

When you stare at someone and they ask what are you looking at? You reply, not much.

My reply to that when I was younger was “I have no idea what it is but it’s looking back at me”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Disobedience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was leaving the pub one night when I got to the door. My mate shouted "joe Joe" and beckoned me back. Then he caught me with the old "How far would you be if I didn't call you back?". Once the laughter subsided I looked him in the eye and said, "Farther from a fool than I am now".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Yeah? So is your face!"

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm eating my breakfast, Kate

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭lemmno

Overheard a few months back on the bus. Group of women, late 20s/early 30s

A: how was port adventura? I heard it’s class.
    B: yeah it is but it was a bit boring for me because C was too scared to go on the rollercoasters with me so I had to go on by myself. Such a pain, need to get some friends with some balls. (Delighted with herself on how brave she was compared to her silly baby-like friend)
    C: (laughing) yeah I couldn’t go on them, I’m such a baby with heights. So.....tell me B, are you still living with your mother?

Could have cut the tension with a butter knife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The French, trust them , have given this some thought and have an idiom to describe it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27esprit_de_l%27escalier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

You're assured on these eircom shares you bought then.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

When you stare at someone and they ask what are you looking at?
    Dunno, never studied wildlife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

My dad was driving home one night and got waved down by a guard ( who wasn't wearing a hi-viz, it was years ago) standing in the middle of the road, when stopped my dad remarked how he almost didn't see the guard due to it being dark and the guard being dressed in dark clothes and could of hit him. The guard replied "what if I was a cow", my dad said he wanted to reply "a cow would have more sense", but chickened out of saying it as everyone know guards have no sense of humour.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Advertisement