If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Home Cinema Upgrade plan

Options
  • 02-12-2017 12:32pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

Creating this thread in the hope of yet another sourcing from RS.

Current setup includes
    Panny 1080p PTAE8000U LED Projector,
    Panoview 120" electric screen, not from yourselves, ye were not big into screens back then
    Sony STR DN-1040 4k Amp from yourselves
    Monitor Audio 250HDs for centre, and front speakers, 90HDs for rear left and right and 370HD for sub, all from yourselves
    Sony KD65X850 4k LED HDR TV from yourselves

2018 plan is to

Move to Dolby Atmos
    Move to UHD/4k HDR 10-bit, HDCP 2.2 total system capability
    Projector Screen upgrade

Total room blackout
    False wall construction and take ceiling down to upgrade current HDMI cabling and lighting
    Room automation

I'm hoping to continue my long time RS path which I started off in 1994 at the Holborn branch - which actually remain with me, Marantz/Mission 733 Amp/CD setup

I'll stick with current TV until 65"+ OLED come down in price, I'll move to the Sony 4k PJ (VPL-VW320ES) maybe at end of current line clearance if one ever happens but have time on hand now to get the room ready. I'm not interested in DLP projection or those "false" 4k that have arose recently.

I'm pretty sure I want to stick with Sony amplification, I did digress to Onkyo briefly but the reliability was lacking.

Sony STR DN-1080 seems to fit my needs, one question, can it handle a second sub and if so would it need to be the same as my current one? Price delivered please?

I'll take my ceiling down to put in proper 5.1.2 Atmos ceiling speakers and I believe my existing speakers are all perfect so all I should need is a pair of these ceiling speakers, preferably black and Monitor Audio.
    Can you please recommend/price a suitable pair of speakers given my likely 1080 Amp and current compliment of speakers?
    Also please let me know if you agree with keeping current speakers as I think they are A Okay.

I think all the above will be pretty straightforward so my biggest headache is in screen upgrade.
    My Panoview 120" had been bulletproof however I'm not interested in moving from 1080p to UHD HDR and not chaging the screen.
    Given the pixel resolution increase am looking at a UHD rated screen with a maximum of 1.0 gain (or maybe less given I will move to a total blackout room) and it absolutely must be electric and have a trigger.
    I'm undecided between acoustically transparant/tab-tensioned/standard. I don't care whether it's recessed ceiling or standard drop down as I'm going to build it into a false wall in any case.
    Screen size needs to be around 140" diagonal.
    Recommendations and pricing please?

Sorry for the long post, hopefully you'll catch the queries above, no mad rush in replying either as in plan mode.

Kind regards
    S1 :)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hi guys,

Just a little bump on this

The .2 Monitor Audio ceiling speakers recommendation to match my current speakers
    ~140" tensioned screen
    Current Amp best price

Kind regards
    S1

PS Loooong shot, any Radius HD 370 subs lying around somewhere?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

slave1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just a little bump on this

The .2 Monitor Audio ceiling speakers recommendation to match my current speakers
    ~140" tensioned screen
    Current Amp best price

Kind regards
    S1

PS Loooong shot, any Radius HD 370 subs lying around somewhere?
    Hi Slave,

apologies for the delay and unfortunately I'm running (Divorce pending :D) so I cant do you a detailed post right now but I may be able to find you a 2nd Radius 370 - I have a sneaky idea where there is one lurking! 

I'll try to answer the rest of your post in detail tomorrow - but if this divorce happens because I get caught working at the weekend you'll have to pay the settlement, okay? 

( Sounds like a HUGE upgrade!!)

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

No rush for tomorrow John, just weighing my Atmos option and looking for 5.2.4 receivers but very hard to track down

No rush for tomorrow John, just weighing my Atmos option and looking for 5.2.4 receivers but very hard to track down

Actually, here’s one from left field, any hope of a Marantz SR7011 receiver?

• Advertisement

£799 Brand new boxed :D

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

£799 Brand new boxed :D

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Is that black, delivered?
    Feel free to PM best Boardsie/VIP price delivered John, ready to pounce on this one...

Hi, realise ye are busy in the run up to XMas but can I bump the Marantz SR7011 please.
    Speakers, screen etc can wait a bit longer unless you want to include a price I can't turn down on four MA C180's.

Regards

Bump! Tried phoning the office and shop a few times...cheers guys

Sorry Slave 

£799 is as low as we can go on the Marantz SR7011 BNIB - I'll do the SR7011 with 4 * C180 at just £1099 which is a cracking price..

Just drop me a line to johnmc@richersounds.ie if you would like to go ahead with either / both and I'll ask Kenny to give you a call to get it all sorted for you..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

Cheers John, yeah, I'll go for that and that's a cracking price indeed, trying to disguise these into the house among the XMas arrivals

Cheers John, yeah, I'll go for that and that's a cracking price indeed, trying to disguise these into the house among the XMas arrivals
    Kenny's on the case - He has some special Black Shrink wrap disguise stuff that he can use ( which means that when it arrives EVERYONE wants to know what it is...:eek:)

Thanks Slave, apologies for the delay and keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Just landed, yikes, the speakers are massive, lot heavier than I thought, receiver just sexy, see it has a phono stage too so you can get more out of me with a turntable :p

Take care guys, have a good festive break

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I want an invite to Slave's house for movie night... :D

Just landed, yikes, the speakers are massive, lot heavier than I thought, receiver just sexy, see it has a phono stage too so you can get more out of me with a turntable :p

Take care guys, have a good festive break
    Slave,

...Its all part of our evil plan :)

Thanks again Slave - Cracking deal you did there and 2 really nice quality bits of kit ( those Monitor Audio C180's are pretty amazing aren't they for in-Ceiling speakers???)

Thanks again, especially for taking the time to post - and have a great Christmas ( cutting your ceilings open :D :D )

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Dickerty wrote: »
    I want an invite to Slave's house for movie night... :D
    ....be careful what you wish for - you don't know know him like we do...;)

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hey John, forgot about that Radius HD 370 sub, did you ever find it, if so feel free to PM me a clearance price if it’s piano black.....

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey John, forgot about that Radius HD 370 sub, did you ever find it, if so feel free to PM me a clearance price if it’s piano black.....
    Hey Slave1.

I'll see if I can chase John on this for you.

Disaster guys, went to fit these today and the speakers I received are CT180's, I never touched the box until there now so never noticed.

I have a guy organised for Monday for putting in a new ceiling, can you get 4 C180's to me ASAP please, I'll give the shop a call now also....

Disaster guys, went to fit these today and the speakers I received are CT180's, I never touched the box until there now so never noticed.

I have a guy organised for Monday for putting in a new ceiling, can you get 4 C180's to me ASAP please, I'll give the shop a call now also....
    Hi Karl,

Thanks for taking my call today and just to confirm that swap out will be arranged for Tuesday.

Apologies again for the inconvenience!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Spoke to shop, shipping the C180's out Monday, thanks guys

EDIT post crossed with Dave

Spoke to shop, shipping the C180's out Monday, thanks guys

EDIT post crossed with Dave
    Hey Slave1.

Apologies for the mix up.

The Correct ones are leaving us this afternoon.

Arrived as promised at noon, cheers for dig out guys

Arrived as promised at noon, cheers for dig out guys
    Glad you got sorted!

Hi guys,

Marantz SR7011

Although I got this a while back I only unboxed it this past week as I was in the process of room construction, was a great price so I had to snap it up at the time :).

Anyhow, having some turbulence during the week with the picture, I'll take you through it...

Have the receiver hooked up with an Xbox, Wii U (neither of which are 4k) and a 4k HTPC.
    The HTPC is the direction I'm heading so I can move away from physical discs and onto a more compact storage solution with better interface.
    I use Kodi and PowerDVD Ultra for my 4k/UHD/Blu Ray playback now but having a problem with the viewing.
    Using both HDMI outputs of the receiver, one to 4k TV and one to 1080p projector (but will be 4k in the future).

Whenever I launch Kodi/PowerDVD/stop a film/try to start a film the HDMI connection drops, sound output is fine, the screen goes blank and gives me a "no signal being received generic message", after a number of snagging attempts the only way to get the film/tv show back on screen is to power cycle the receiver or screen and hope that when I skip back to beginning of the film/episode the screen remains stable.

I have nothing that I believe could impact the screen enabled on the receiver, all ARC/CEC/HDMI conrrol options/screen interface options etc. are all off, it is on as pure a setting as possible.
    Am not using and Zone functionality of the receiver, everything is in the one room.

I have tried....

4 different HDMI cables, all hi-speed 4k, and one of them is a fiber cable so I am certain this issue does not relate to the cable.
    A Sony 4k TV and two LG 4k TVs (from your good selves) as well as my Panny 1080p projector and the issue remains, I tried all cables on all TV's.
    I tried every HDMI input on the receiver, BluRay/Game/Media Player etc.
    I tried every HDMI port on all the TV's and projector mentioned above
    I have all HDMI/ARC/CEC controls on all TV's set to off
    I painfully tried factory resets of all the TV's and projector as well as countless times on the receiver
    Everything in the chain is on latest firmware
    In case the issue related to my HTPC I borrowed a XBox one and same result on all screens

Finally, after all the above I noticed that the issue is on the Monitor 1 HDMI (ARC) output of the Receiver, Monitor 2 HDMI output appears stable the last few days, I was waiting before making the post so I could be as sure as possible the issue is exclusively with Monitor 1.

As mentioned above I do not have ARC enabled anywhere in the chain so I don't think the fact it's the ARC HDMI is an issue, I decided to hook this HDMI to my projector and that does not have any sound capability and the issue remains.

Any advice guys, literally have it out of the box a week today, it's also in a custom made shelving unit so I don't want to even think about changing it, audio wise everything is working well, DD/DTS/Atmos (5.1.4) all up and running...

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to lay everything out so you can picture my setup and snagging.
    Nearly there with my upgrade but I hope you can appreciate this constant power cyclying to "fix" the issue is not good for my equipment or my sanity more importantly!!:(

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi guys,

Marantz SR7011

Although I got this a while back I only unboxed it this past week as I was in the process of room construction, was a great price so I had to snap it up at the time :).

Anyhow, having some turbulence during the week with the picture, I'll take you through it...

Have the receiver hooked up with an Xbox, Wii U (neither of which are 4k) and a 4k HTPC.
    The HTPC is the direction I'm heading so I can move away from physical discs and onto a more compact storage solution with better interface.
    I use Kodi and PowerDVD Ultra for my 4k/UHD/Blu Ray playback now but having a problem with the viewing.
    Using both HDMI outputs of the receiver, one to 4k TV and one to 1080p projector (but will be 4k in the future).

Whenever I launch Kodi/PowerDVD/stop a film/try to start a film the HDMI connection drops, sound output is fine, the screen goes blank and gives me a "no signal being received generic message", after a number of snagging attempts the only way to get the film/tv show back on screen is to power cycle the receiver or screen and hope that when I skip back to beginning of the film/episode the screen remains stable.

I have nothing that I believe could impact the screen enabled on the receiver, all ARC/CEC/HDMI conrrol options/screen interface options etc. are all off, it is on as pure a setting as possible.
    Am not using and Zone functionality of the receiver, everything is in the one room.

I have tried....

4 different HDMI cables, all hi-speed 4k, and one of them is a fiber cable so I am certain this issue does not relate to the cable.
    A Sony 4k TV and two LG 4k TVs (from your good selves) as well as my Panny 1080p projector and the issue remains, I tried all cables on all TV's.
    I tried every HDMI input on the receiver, BluRay/Game/Media Player etc.
    I tried every HDMI port on all the TV's and projector mentioned above
    I have all HDMI/ARC/CEC controls on all TV's set to off
    I painfully tried factory resets of all the TV's and projector as well as countless times on the receiver
    Everything in the chain is on latest firmware
    In case the issue related to my HTPC I borrowed a XBox one and same result on all screens

Finally, after all the above I noticed that the issue is on the Monitor 1 HDMI (ARC) output of the Receiver, Monitor 2 HDMI output appears stable the last few days, I was waiting before making the post so I could be as sure as possible the issue is exclusively with Monitor 1.

As mentioned above I do not have ARC enabled anywhere in the chain so I don't think the fact it's the ARC HDMI is an issue, I decided to hook this HDMI to my projector and that does not have any sound capability and the issue remains.

Any advice guys, literally have it out of the box a week today, it's also in a custom made shelving unit so I don't want to even think about changing it, audio wise everything is working well, DD/DTS/Atmos (5.1.4) all up and running...

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to lay everything out so you can picture my setup and snagging.
    Nearly there with my upgrade but I hope you can appreciate this constant power cyclying to "fix" the issue is not good for my equipment or my sanity more importantly!!:(
    Hi slave1,

I will have a look into this however the best thing to do would be to give Marantz a quick call.

They are based in Belfast: +44 (0)2890 279830

They will be able to tell straight off if there is a settings issue or a fault with the unit. I'll do some digging on this end but let me know how you get on with Marantz and we can get it sorted.

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

I gave them a call and they said I've already gone through everything they would suggest and that it's back to the retailer to get it sorted.
    I also got a reference number off them so I'll give the shop a call as it's like this since the word go and would prefer replacement rather than repair...

Regards

Hi David,

I gave them a call and they said I've already gone through everything they would suggest and that it's back to the retailer to get it sorted.
    I also got a reference number off them so I'll give the shop a call as it's like this since the word go and would prefer replacement rather than repair...

Regards
    Cheers for the call Slave1.

David is going to see what can be done for you.

As soon as we get an answer we will drop you a call.

Cheers guys

• Advertisement

Cheers guys
    No worries Slave1.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.