Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat bike? mtb

Options
  • 02-12-2017 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm 12 and I'm thinking of getting a new mtb. i live in the west of ireland and there are some good dunes there so i think it might be a good idea to get a fat bike but i would be using this bike for general transport to school etc. I don't know if a fat bike would be a good idea because of weight. This will be the first bike i will have bought, all the rest were hand-me-downs and i will have this bike for a few years so i need to make the right choice. I'd love a bit of help on this because my other bike is getting old and i need an new one.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hi
    It is difficult to buy one bike that does everything.

Sand dunes on a fat bike would be some craic but probably would only be a tiny amount of your cycling.

I'd be inclined to buy something more appropriate for the majority of your cycling; a cross/gravel/adventure type bike would be fine for school run, fun on forest roads.

Even expensive fat bikes weigh 13/14kgs or so from memory which I would find heavy at 82Kgs, you probably weigh less. Cheaper one will be heavier

A used cross bike set up 1 by 10 might simply use and maintenance but is not essential by any means.

Is there a cycling club near you with a youth section?

BTW sand will be rough on your drive train and hubs so get to know your local bike shop or skill up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’d say a hard tail MTB would be more suited for you. If you could get a 29er in your size then it would be more suitable as they’re more suitable for cycling on the roads but any 27.5” bike would do rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Try and borrow a fat bike and use it on the dunes before you decide.

You might love it or hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shad_O_Scar

ford2600 wrote: »
    Hi
    It is difficult to buy one bike that does everything.

Sand dunes on a fat bike would be some craic but probably would only be a tiny amount of your cycling.

I'd be inclined to buy something more appropriate for the majority of your cycling; a cross/gravel/adventure type bike would be fine for school run, fun on forest roads.

Even expensive fat bikes weigh 13/14kgs or so from memory which I would find heavy at 82Kgs, you probably weigh less. Cheaper one will be heavier

A used cross bike set up 1 by 10 might simply use and maintenance but is not essential by any means.

Is there a cycling club near you with a youth section?

BTW sand will be rough on your drive train and hubs so get to know your local bike shop or skill up!

Thanks for the reply.
    On boards people reply surprisingly quickly! I had tried a fat bike once before and it is fun but i never did any climbing. It was a suggestion that sounded amazing but I hadnt thought it through. I live beside the mayo Greenway and all the rental shops just have hybrids but might have one when I'm older. Maybe.
    Thanks
    Oscar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

I'm 12 and I'm thinking of getting a new mtb. i live in the west of ireland and there are some good dunes there so i think it might be a good idea to get a fat bike but i would be using this bike for general transport to school etc. I don't know if a fat bike would be a good idea because of weight. This will be the first bike i will have bought, all the rest were hand-me-downs and i will have this bike for a few years so i need to make the right choice. I'd love a bit of help on this because my other bike is getting old and i need an new one.

A fat bike is fun and cool. If you are 12 and you want one go for it. You have your whole life to be sensible. When I was your age I wanted a Raleigh chopper but I decided to get a sensible bike instead. I don't remember the other bike only that it wasn't a chopper and I still want a chopper but at 55 Im too old

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What are Fat bikes like to ride generally ?

If the tyres are wide enough, I've been thinking they might make the ideal anti-Luas track machine for around town.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

fat bloke wrote: »
    What are Fat bikes like to ride generally ?

If the tyres are wide enough, I've been thinking they might make the ideal anti-Luas track machine for around town.

Haven't tried a fat bike, but a CX with disc brakes will allow pretty big tyres. Total clearance on the forks and rear of my Rose is ~65mm so you could run 55mm comfortably on the right rims. Don't know how wide the gap is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Have fat bike. Ridden on multiple beaches, ridden in snow, ridden on the road, ridden the length of two canals, ridden in mountains, ridden not on mountains, ridden on rocky beaches. You're young and weigh very little, so a heavier mountain bike will help make your legs stronger (this is not a science-based opinion). Just get it (if you like)

38110204404_66311e37c7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Boring, sensible me here, as above, 29er hardtail would probably be the right option. Oh to hell with that, fat boy or maybe full Suss enduro! Best of luck

Advertisement