Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia and Rabbits

Options
  • 02-12-2017 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Anybody here ever hunt rabbits in Australia/Tasmania.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Quite a few, not much different to here really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I stayed in a hotel on a beach in Philip Island for a couple of nights. It's not too far away from Melbourne. You'll think I am sh1tting you but I almost got afraid parking the car at night there were so many rabbits. You couldn't see the ground, there were so many of the fcukers. Seriously, if I threw a stone up in the air, it would have landed on a rabbit.

Didn't get to shoot any though, but if I had 100 bullets, I probably would have shot more than 100 rabbits.

I forgot to say, as there is a fairy penguin colony on Philip Island, the authorities go overboard killing foxes as a fox would wipe out a colony of penguins in no time. Maybe that's why there are so many rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The videos of those rabbit plagues in parts of QZ are an eye-opener!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I thought that the place was supposed to be stirring with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I thought that the place was supposed to be stirring with them.

There are quite a few yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

When I was there 12 years ago South Australia, did not see many , only shot one , shot far more goats ( 70+) , No foxes in Tasmania so probably overrun there.

It seems that they have released RHDV1 K5 last February. A new virus to knock them.

They should have rabbit hunting holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Been to Philip Island to see the penquins, quite something, they don't tell you to watch out for the snakes, a few of them around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Dai John wrote: »
    Been to Philip Island to see the penquins, quite something, they don't tell you to watch out for the snakes, a few of them around too.

The seagulls are fairly aggressive too. I've seen them whip food out of a person's hand as they were just about to put it into their mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I stayed in a hotel on a beach in Philip Island for a couple of nights. It's not too far away from Melbourne. You'll think I am sh1tting you but I almost got afraid parking the car at night there were so many rabbits. You couldn't see the ground, there were so many of the fcukers. Seriously, if I threw a stone up in the air, it would have landed on a rabbit.

Didn't get to shoot any though, but if I had 100 bullets, I probably would have shot more than 100 rabbits.

I forgot to say, as there is a fairy penguin colony on Philip Island, the authorities go overboard killing foxes as a fox would wipe out a colony of penguins in no time. Maybe that's why there are so many rabbits.

Camped out on the saltee islands off Wexford when in was a young fella, riddled with rabbits. If you walked around in your bare feet you'd have to stop and spread your toes every few steps to clear the droppings :-) and your tent was full of em. You'd clear out the tent at night only into find more in the morning, like the feckers snook in on you.

Never bring cocoa pops camping on the saltees either, hard to distinguish :-)

How easy/hard is it to get the use of a rifle and hunting permission in Australia.

Getting a licence is much like the procedure here, although much, much more efficient.

You need good reason , e.g. target shooting, hunting.

Hunting requires you to be certified, you have to do a course.

once you have good reason, you apply for a firearms license , it takes about 6-12 weeks, it depends , but it is transparent https://www.police.sa.gov.au/services-and-events/firearms-and-weapons/apply-for-a-firearms-licence

Once you have that you can purchase a firearm, once you purchase the firearm, it takes about 6 weeks for "permission to acquire".

Once you pick up your firearm, you have to register it with your local police station.

As for hunting, you need permission- this can be difficult, I joined a hunting and conservation group where we culled goats on national park lands.
    I was also able to hunt at the shooting range as they had about 1000 acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Would it be possible to hire a rifle or borrow.

Mach Two wrote: »
    Would it be possible to hire a rifle or borrow.

You must have a license.

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/services-and-events/firearms-and-weapons/loan-or-borrow-a-firearm

I suppose an Irish licence would hardly suffice.

I suppose an Irish licence would hardly suffice.

No, the license in ireland is for the firearm, in Australia the shooter is licensed.

Advertisement