Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family to live & Jobs prospect: Cork or Limerick

• 02-12-2017 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I need information about which of them better to live (Limerick or Cork) ? Quality of life, families, transport, much vibrant, better for motorists and public traffic user ? ..etc. Im thinking to move Limreck based on job, but im not sure about Cork ? its about making new life and bringing my family .please advice. Note: i still didnt apply for any job either of them (Cork & Limreck ). i need safe city for families and much friendly than Dublin.
    I was thinking about Galway as well, but it seems excellent tourist choice but not for living on long term ! or probably im wrong ? im not irish by the way

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hmm well I suppose where you will find employment will be the deciding factor but I think Limerick is the best option.

I think Limerick is a much more family friendly city and is generally much cheaper than Cork for accommodation. I lived in Cork a few years back and struggled to make friends there as the Corkonians can be quite an insular bunch. I find Limerick people much more friendly and its just a better quality of life here.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

I can see which way this thread is going to go. ��I am wondering if this is a genuine question as I didn’t notice a similar thread on the Cork forum . You’ll only get one type of answer here. Don’t think you can compare the two cities to be honest as the are completely different.
    What type of lifestyle, job prospects, career do you want, have you a family, is diversity important to you , etc, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Cork. And I'm from Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mzn

rebs23 wrote: »
    I can see which way this thread is going to go. ��I am wondering if this is a genuine question as I didn’t notice a similar thread on the Cork forum . You’ll only get one type of answer here.

I will post same in Cork group, you are right.

Why we hear that Limerik is unsafe (drugs gangs..)
    I cant say my personal obersvation now, i will only say that i need safe place and much friendly (not materialistc ppl). I found alot of materialestic ppl in Dublin among GPs. i cant blame all people .
    I need a place that your job is handy to you and even if you have car but dont have to use . A place where you could find less unti social act, and save alot of money because transport is not rubbish or ripping off. And, the family accomodation is easy to find in very served place from shops( it dosnt have to be in the market area but up to 1 km is ok )
    I need a place that accept multiculture and seems more European look than other cities. i need more friendly people and same time respect privacy & background for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

mzn wrote: »
    Why we hear that Limerik is unsafe (drugs gangs..)
    I cant say my personal obersvation now, i will only say that i need safe place and much friendly (not materialistc ppl). I found alot of materialestic ppl in Dublin among GPs. i cant blame all people .
    I need a place that your job is handy to you and even if you have car but dont have to use . A place where you could find less unti social act, and save alot of money because transport is not rubbish or ripping off. And, the family accomodation is easy to find in very served place from shops( it dosnt have to be in the market area but up to 1 km is ok )
    I need a place that accept multiculture and seems more European look than other cities. i need more friendly people and same time respect privacy & background for everyone.
    You will be fine in both Limerick and Cork. Spend a weekend in both and then see which one grabs you. A lot less crime and anti social behavior in both than Dublin. As for multi cultural Well I am probably biased but see for yourself when you spend a weekend.

rebs23 wrote: »
    You will be fine in both Limerick and Cork. Spend a weekend in both and then see which one grabs you. A lot less crime and anti social behavior in both than Dublin. As for multi cultural Well I am probably biased but see for yourself when you spend a weekend.

Be biased and express your opinion, especially if you have lived in both cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭squonk

Go to Cork. Limerick was cheap for accommodation but is getting expensive now too. Very little going on in Limeruck socially compared to other Irish cities. There’s much more of a buzz around Cork city center. Limerick is improving but is still lagging behind. If mone6 is important, standard of living in a Limerick is cheaper but otherwise Cork is a far better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

squonk wrote: »
    Go to Cork. Limerick was cheap for accommodation but is getting expensive now too. Very little going on in Limeruck socially compared to other Irish cities. There’s much more of a buzz around Cork city center. Limerick is improving but is still lagging behind. If mone6 is important, standard of living in a Limerick is cheaper but otherwise Cork is a far better option.

Having lived in Cork, in my opinion, there is very little difference between quality of life between the two cities...you concede nothing in terms of education/access to all types of activities in either city....

Now, from a pubs point of view both Cork and Galway offer more vibrancy than Limerick....but most Europeans don't care about the pub culture....

Standard of living in Limerick is quiet high, you'll spend less time in traffic in Limerick than both Cork and especially Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

One thing in Limerick's favour is that it's very central to most places, eg: about 1 1/2 hours or less to Cork, Galway, Killarney, Tralee etc and about 2 hours to Dublin.
    I'm not sure where you're from OP, but I would say Limerick is quite multicultural with lots of different nationalities, religions etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Easily Cork for me if you’re interested in restaurants, cafes, nightlife, shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Have to say Limerick.
    Rental prices in Cork are rocketing while Limerick is a bit behind.
    There are some nice areas in Limerick like Dooradoyle where you're outside of the city but still have some of the best shops in the city.
    For me shopwise Cork city is miles ahead of Limerick city.
    It really depends on what you plan to work at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Blazer wrote: »
    Have to say Limerick.
    Rental prices in Cork are rocketing while Limerick is a bit behind.
    There are some nice areas in Limerick like Dooradoyle where you're outside of the city but still have some of the best shops in the city.
    For me shopwise Cork city is miles ahead of Limerick city.
    It really depends on what you plan to work at?

I have to agree with that particular point....

I often wonder, certainly from a males perspective whether the problem is Limerick men, and not the stores fault.....I mean, no one has ever accused Limerick men of being trendy...to my knowledge anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

who_ru wrote: »
    Easily Cork for me if you’re interested in restaurants, cafes, nightlife, shopping.

Limerick has the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Mc Love wrote: »
    Limerick has the same.

So does Newcastle West but you know the point I’m making.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭conor05

If you want your kids playing hurling and winning All Ireland’s come to Limerick ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

conor05 wrote: »
    If you want your kids playing hurling and winning All Ireland’s come to Limerick ;)

If you want them to learn how to use apostrophes, maybe not :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

have lived in both -
    Cork's traffic is far worse - big factor if travelling by car for daily commute
    Limerick has not got the same retail range, esp in centre of city , but this is welll documented.
    Cork has the advantage of a better served airport ( more european routes)
    Limerick has more central location its under two hours from a huge part of the country
    Shannon looks way beter than the Lee.
    Better schools in Limerick , esp at second level, IMHO.
    To an outsider from Galway like me, the Cork accent is easier on the ear.
    Cork gets better concerts and events- the marquee every year
    Cork floods more.
    Vastly better ( numerically) far larger restaurant choice in Cork city centre.
    Arguably Limerick city centre hotels are better - savoy, strand, clarion etc
    West Cork is better than West Clare in the summer - Clonakilty, Kinsale etc far better tourist towns than Kilkee, Lahinch ( in that they are more developed, and are proper towns not just vast mobile home influx. (
    Incydoney strand is prob one of the best beaches in Ireland.
    Cork has better bookshops and an opera house
    Thomond is way better than Musgrave park.
    UL campus ( now) better than UCC

All these are arguable points _ I rented while there so not able to comment on house prices etc - others may well be, my guess is there is good value to be found in Limerick in comparison.

Advertisement