Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissatisfied Eir Sport customer - paying for something I cannot use

Options
  • 02-12-2017 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

[font=arial, sans-serif]I wish to advise of my very unsatisfactory situation with EirSport at present.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I signed up for Eir Sport originally on 15/10/2016 to view via my Sky box. I paid the total fee up front (EUR 225) as it was more cost effective. I enjoyed the service until July 2017 when I moved house (unplanned at the time I signed up) to a location where I could not mount a Sky dish so could not access my Sky channels and by extension my EirSport channels. The location I moved to was wired for Virgin Media so it was the obvious choice in terms of broadband and TV. This meant I could not access my EirSport channels via the tv either. It also appeared that I could not access the Eir channels online.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I called Eir customer services sometime in August 2017 and explained my situation, that basically I have paid for a service that I cannot use/view. The representative confirmed that unfortunately there was no alternative way to view the channels by app/laptop etc as I was not an Eir broadband, mobile or tv subscriber. I was a little annoyed that I could not access a service I had paid for, I would have thought that I could at least access the channels online. Knowing the contract lapsed in October I had little choice but to accepted this.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]In or around 17th October I saw that I had been charged again for a second year's subscription, despite me informing Eir only two months before hand that I had no way to view the channels. I thought that by calling up customer care and explaining the situation that they would quickly remedy this by cancelling and refunding me the EUR 225, especially as it was only two days after I saw the direct debit (in or around the 20th October). To my dismay the representative did not seem to care one bit about my situation and repeatedly referred to the terms and conditions basically saying it is my own fault for not formally cancelling. By the strict letter of the terms and conditions I had no recourse on this I was told. I tried to appeal to this person's sense of decency given my situation and he basically said there was nothing he could do. I also informed him that I had called Eir  customer care back in August to confirm that I had no access to these channels and that my subscription was worthless. The representative informed me that he would trace this call and that someone would come back to me on it and that if I had effectively cancelled on that call that I would be entitled to a refund.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Almost two months later I have heard nothing, I am into my second year's subscription to Eir Sport with no means of viewing the channels and effectively out of pocket by a further 225 euro. Ultimately my preference is be able to view the channels that I have paid for which is why I signed up in the first place - I would have thought accessing the channels with  paid subscription should not be an issue in this day and age but this option appears open to only Eir Broadband/mobile/TV customers which is completely ridiculous. It appears that I am in a bracket of customer where I can pay for a service and not be able to view it which is surely a major oversight on Eir's behalf. I would have thought it quite easy to allow Sky customers access to an Eir account to view the content online.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]If there is no way for me to view the channels then I believe I should be entitled to a refund. I believe that my phone conversation to Eir in August effectively cancelled the contract that was due for renewal the following October - why would I wish to pay a further EUR 225 for a product I could not use?[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Glenn[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Contact your bank and tell them to refund the money. Under SEPA rules, the bank must refund it because it's within the last 8 weeks (you don't need to give any reason). Search "SEPA refund" for more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

GlennF wrote: »
    [font=arial, sans-serif]I wish to advise of my very unsatisfactory situation with EirSport at present.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I signed up for Eir Sport originally on 15/10/2016 to view via my Sky box. I paid the total fee up front (EUR 225) as it was more cost effective. I enjoyed the service until July 2017 when I moved house (unplanned at the time I signed up) to a location where I could not mount a Sky dish so could not access my Sky channels and by extension my EirSport channels. The location I moved to was wired for Virgin Media so it was the obvious choice in terms of broadband and TV. This meant I could not access my EirSport channels via the tv either. It also appeared that I could not access the Eir channels online.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I called Eir customer services sometime in August 2017 and explained my situation, that basically I have paid for a service that I cannot use/view. The representative confirmed that unfortunately there was no alternative way to view the channels by app/laptop etc as I was not an Eir broadband, mobile or tv subscriber. I was a little annoyed that I could not access a service I had paid for, I would have thought that I could at least access the channels online. Knowing the contract lapsed in October I had little choice but to accepted this.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]In or around 17th October I saw that I had been charged again for a second year's subscription, despite me informing Eir only two months before hand that I had no way to view the channels. I thought that by calling up customer care and explaining the situation that they would quickly remedy this by cancelling and refunding me the EUR 225, especially as it was only two days after I saw the direct debit (in or around the 20th October). To my dismay the representative did not seem to care one bit about my situation and repeatedly referred to the terms and conditions basically saying it is my own fault for not formally cancelling. By the strict letter of the terms and conditions I had no recourse on this I was told. I tried to appeal to this person's sense of decency given my situation and he basically said there was nothing he could do. I also informed him that I had called Eir  customer care back in August to confirm that I had no access to these channels and that my subscription was worthless. The representative informed me that he would trace this call and that someone would come back to me on it and that if I had effectively cancelled on that call that I would be entitled to a refund.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Almost two months later I have heard nothing, I am into my second year's subscription to Eir Sport with no means of viewing the channels and effectively out of pocket by a further 225 euro. Ultimately my preference is be able to view the channels that I have paid for which is why I signed up in the first place - I would have thought accessing the channels with  paid subscription should not be an issue in this day and age but this option appears open to only Eir Broadband/mobile/TV customers which is completely ridiculous. It appears that I am in a bracket of customer where I can pay for a service and not be able to view it which is surely a major oversight on Eir's behalf. I would have thought it quite easy to allow Sky customers access to an Eir account to view the content online.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]If there is no way for me to view the channels then I believe I should be entitled to a refund. I believe that my phone conversation to Eir in August effectively cancelled the contract that was due for renewal the following October - why would I wish to pay a further EUR 225 for a product I could not use?[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Glenn[/font]
    Hi Glenn,

Thanks for getting in touch. The information that the agent provided you with on the phone was correct I'm afraid. You would have had to officially cancel this service to prevent any direct debits being taken from your account and you are unable to view these channels on our app unless you're an eir broadband/mobile customer. I understand that this is frustrating and I am sorry that i can not give you better news here. 

Unfortunately, I'm unable to look into a refund for you or cancel your account from here. You need to give our eir Sport department another call to have this looked into. The number for the eir Sport department is 0818203040.

I'm very sorry that I can't do more for you here.

- Adam

Advertisement