Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.Family to live & Jobs prospect: Cork or Limerick ..

Options
  • 02-12-2017 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I need information about which of them better to live (Limerick or Cork) ? Quality of life, families, transport, much vibrant, better for motorists and public traffic user ? ..etc. Im thinking to move Limreck based on job, but im not sure about Cork ? its about making new life and bringing my family .please advice. Note: i still didnt apply for any job either of them (Cork & Limreck ). i need safe city for families and much friendly than Dublin.
    I was thinking about Galway as well, but it seems excellent tourist choice but not for living on long term ! or probably im wrong ? im not irish by the way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭mzn

Why we hear that Limerik is unsafe (drugs gangs..)
    I cant say my personal obersvation now, i will only say that i need safe place and much friendly (not materialistc ppl). I found alot of materialestic ppl in Dublin among GPs. i cant blame all people .
    I need a place that your job is handy to you and even if you have car but dont have to use . A place where you could find less unti social act, and save alot of money because transport is not rubbish or ripping off. And, the family accomodation is easy to find in very served place from shops( it dosnt have to be in the market area but up to 1 km is ok )
    I need a place that accept multiculture and seems more European look than other cities. i need more friendly people and same time respect privacy & background for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Cork is a nicer city and it has way more to offer than Limerick, in my subjective opinion.The nightlife in Limerick apart from Nancy Blakes is poor, and the city centre is a ghost town.Cork wipes the floor with Limerick in every possible way, to be honest with you, and there's enough non Cork people who will confirm and verify this.So treat what they are telling you in the Limerick forum, with several pinches of salt.:D

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Cork is a nicer city and it has way more to offer than Limerick, in my subjective opinion.The nightlife in Limerick apart from Nancy Blakes is poor, and the city centre is a ghost town.Cork wipes the floor with Limerick in every possible way, to be honest with you, and there's enough non Cork people who will confirm and verify this.So treat what they are telling you in the Limerick forum, with several pinches of salt.:D

It's all bollox depending on where you end up actually living. There's **** places in every town / city

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stuckintipp

Cork has more charm and more social night options but most places shut early.

Facilities are more or less the same

Limerick has much cheaper accommodation, 40% less I’d say, traffic in limerick is no bother, while Cork is bad enough.

With out knowing you’re line of work it’d be hard to give advice there. Wages in Cork slightly better.

Personally if you’re past the going out drinking stage and reasonably settled in life I’d go for limerick, that €100k less on a house means €150k less repayments to bank. Limerick will be an easier life

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Limerick does not have the same vibe as Cork, in a way it hasn't picked up from the crash as well.
    If your used to Dublin then Limerick will take a bit of getting used to.
    Cork is doing well at the moment, loads of new places opening up, good vibe around the place.

However it's much more expensive than Limerick and the Public transport is not great.
    You could find a job in Ballincollig for example, live there and have a nice short trip to work.

Or you could end up living somewhere and travelling over the city for work and need a car.

It all depends on your budget and line of work really
    Both places have nice and not so nice areas in the city

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

and we're more modest in Cork...

Cork is Cork, Limerick is Limerick, they're different and quite similar. Both great cities. The gangs/drugs are in marginalised areas of the city, and all cities have marginalised areas with problems.
    Its like comparing an apple and an orange, pros and cons to both cities.

There's one thing though there's less of in Limerick, and thats bu11sh1t (based on my experience of them!)
    It depends on what you want, what you work at/employability etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

and we're more modest in Cork...

Cork is Cork, Limerick is Limerick, they're different and quite similar. Both great cities. The gangs/drugs are in marginalised areas of the city, and all cities have marginalised areas with problems.
    Its like comparing an apple and an orange, pros and cons to both cities.

There's one thing though there's less of in Limerick, and thats bu11sh1t (based on my experience of them!)
    It depends on what you want, what you work at/employability etc.

I like Limerick.It is a very underrated city.I just think that Cork is more vibrant, and it also has a lot more to offer, in terms of shops and restaurants etc.Limerick is way off Cork in my opinion, in terms of vibrancy.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I like Limerick.It is a very underrated city.I just think that Cork is more vibrant, and it also has a lot more to offer, in terms of shops and restaurants etc.Limerick is way off Cork in my opinion, in terms of vibrancy.

Definately more of a buzz about Cork
    And I'd prefer to live here, but Limerick does have some advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Depends on your job prospects and lifestyle.
    Cork is bigger with more options and choice for just about anything, the more you earn and the more you like to socialize the more this would be a factor. Depending on where you are from there may be more ex nationals in Cork if thats a factor.
    If you earn less Limerick is cheaper for housing with less traffic while still having pretty good facilities and an excellent university. I would ignore a lot of Limericks bad press there are dodgy neighborhoods everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Limerick is a lovely city, which feels like a city too. Unlike galway and waterford. I'd certainly live in Limerick, but I'd give it a few years to develop and improve. Cork is much more vibrant imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement