Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is acceptable 'partner staying over' time in an apartment share?

Options
  • 02-12-2017 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

As it says on the tin, say in a 2 bedroom, 2 person share, how many nights a week is the other persons partner staying over deemed as acceptable without wanting to take the piss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

it depends on what all parties find agreeable. but without the guest contributing to rent and bills then 2 - 3 nights max usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It really depends on how much action you're getting yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,422 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Totally dependent on the people involved. If the other person doesn't mind then it can be every night but if it bothers the other person then just have a chat about how it's uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Other person is a gay male, I am a heterosexual male

I suppose I won't know until I ask him I guess! :)

That's not really supposed to matter though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

In general 2 nights a week on average, and generally not both weekend nights. It can be more the odd week so long as it's balanced by less/none in other weeks.

Being gone yourself regularly helps counter balance it too.

That's not really supposed to matter though :)

That's true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

2 is loads i think

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

How many nights would you stay with your partner in his/her abode.

How does that work out for you and partner's circumstances?

Just looking at it from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

2 is loads i think

Agreed. I wouldn't be happy with a third party in the apartment for 30% of the time I'm paying 50% of the rent for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Depends on the couple imo. I've lived with people who had partners that I didn't even notice were staying regularly and in other cases I've had them hogging the sitting room and kitchen at peak times with no consideration for other housemates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Sounds like you should have discussed it before moving in ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105446516

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

How many nights a week do you want your gf over?

Well she's ridiculously shy and quiet, will not leave my room by herself, and we have an ensuite so she won't be in the front room watching tv or anything like that

Well she's ridiculously shy and quiet, will not leave my room by herself, and we have an ensuite so she won't be in the front room watching tv or anything like that

is she "loud"?

is she "loud"?

Yup :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

is she "loud"?

Theres "kit" for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

The housemate will agree and say its no problem, but will be immediately apprehensive secretly.

Basically, any thing like that starts a timer that counts down to someone moving out. How long, is the only question.

Encountered it lots of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It really depends on how much action you're getting yourself.

I think a good proportion of house sharers are not being any action otherwise they be renting with their Oh.

Explains why there are so many threads about this.

• Advertisement

I'll sit down with him tonight and discuss it. He's a nice guy and I don't want to rock the boat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Use the old "if I ain't getting any, you ain't getting any" argument. Might get an interesting offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I've often wondered about this too. Also, what's the acceptable noise level while shagging? Do you have to cover each others mouths when climaxing?

I've often wondered about this too. Also, what's the acceptable noise level while shagging? Do you have to cover each others mouths when climaxing?

I would have thought people sharing, when they could, would wait until the person they're sharing with is out to do this? That's the way I plan on playing it anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I shared an apartment and one chap has girlfriend over 5 nights a week. They stayed in their room, didn't use up bills such as heating, rarely used kitchen and were always clean and kept the noise down. So that didn't bother me at all.

Shared with another guy who was the complete opposite and that infuriated me. He had his girlfriend over all the time. They were drinking in the sitting room, bills sky rocketed, loud, dirty and generally disrespectful.

So for me I don't care if they're option 1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

There's a fetish for that sort of thing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Funny how?

Friends missus wanted to move in after been over the whole time.Said to friend onc she contributes to bills it's fine. She was great craic and got on really well with her so didn't mind in the slightest. Could chat with away with her.

Another houseshare I was in with someone I knew was unbearable. Knew the person but wouldn't really consider them a friend. Every Friday asking me what my plans for the weekend were etc so he could have the house with the girlfriend. Other house mates worked in bars so out late every Friday and Saturday. Missus was over every Friday Saturday and Sunday. When I was in the sitting room with them they wouldn't speak or if I tried to talk they would mutter a word back. They tried to make it as uncomfortable as possible, even asking me are you heading out? They eventually just went up to their room and watched stuff on a tablet. This went on for around two months but Fuk them I stood my ground. Most ignorant woman I ever came across. Forgot to mention if I said I was going out they would chat away.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eimsRV

I shared with a friend a few years back, 2 bed, just the 2 of us. Anyway her bf started staying most nights, no contribution to rent or bills. But it really became an issue when the friend was working nights - he'd still stay and in the morning I'd have to wait to use shower/bathroom. We didnt stay housemates for long after that as she thought i was being unreasonable when I tried to speak to her about it

Thank god for ensuite otherwise some of the situations mentioned could have been FAR worse :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement