Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Substitute for Gravy when Eating out.

• 02-12-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I love the oul bacon and cabbage, turkey and ham occasionally when eating out but the gravy is usually laden with salt. As I like to moisten me spuds what could I use as an alternate.

Would parsley sauce etc be an option.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Hi folks, I love the oul bacon and cabbage, turkey and ham occasionally when eating out but the gravy is usually laden with salt. As I like to moisten me spuds what could I use as an alternate.

Would parsley sauce etc be an option.

Parsley sauce wouldnt be any better. Not to any great degree anyway.

Unless you're eating out a lot, its not a big deal. If you are, maybe skip the gravy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Could you, perhaps, bring a jar of relish or some such with you? Would they mind? You could just say you're watching your sodium levels. And you have already paid for the gravy you're not eating.

I like to moisten me spuds

I really shouldn't comment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Any sauce is likely to be full of salt.
    Salt's really not that bad for you, and cutting it out altogether is more dangerous than exceeding the recommended daily amount.
    I don't think a bit of gravy on a sunday roast is going to kill you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I like sauces but its just that gravy always seems to be made soo thick all you can taste is the salt.

Would a white sauce look funny with bacon n cabbage or turkey n ham?

Might just ask for some hot water and thin the gravy down a bit.

thanks for the suggestions.

• Advertisement

I like sauces but its just that gravy always seems to be made soo thick all you can taste is the salt.

Sounds like you're going to the wrong restaurants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Parsley sauce goes with bacon / ham.
    I assumed you were concerned about nutrition rather than the taste of the gravy.
    I'm guessing gravy would contain more salt, but parsley sauce could contain a lot too, it just won't taste as salty thanks to the milk content.

Advertisement