Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator giving legal advice

Options
  • 02-12-2017 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My complaint is in relation to the consumer issues moderator.  In addition to deliberately misinterpreting the law even when corrected this moderator decided to give direct legal advice to a poster.

In the thread " 2 year old dishwasher broken" the moderator posts:

"Do not lodge an SCC claim without further evidence of what's wrong - or else you'll be down €25 when the case is rejected and no dishwasher til probably February."

So to summerise, moderator gives direct legal advice, not allowed here or anywhere, unless legally qualified. Goes on to give a legal determination, not allowed unless your a judge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I was on that thread - you need to read the original post to understand the context.

Some fool butted in and suggested that the op should go to court.

Basic consumer advice is any legal action is a last resort after reasonable avenues are exhausted.

If the op followed the fool's advice to run to scc without knowing the actual cause of the problem and whether it was a malfunction caused by a defect or simply mis-use, then the scc simply would not have a pertinent argument to judge and hence the claim would be rejected.

That's not legal advice, its basic common sense to be able to state what you are actually claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 monz66

Not sure what throwing abuse is about, the moderator gave direct legal advice. It's not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding of what someone said is...

"If you are going to go to court to make a claim, be sure that you have evidence to back up that claim."

Is that correct?

Edit: OP, a link would be helpful. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I’m a co-mod in the Consumer Issues forum, so I took a second re-read of the thread once I saw this complaint pop up. Here’s what I think.

The thread very quickly got derailed by one poster who IMO was not giving the best advice to the OP. The poster was urging a course of action that was hasty and that did not attempt to first resolve matters with the retailer. IMO L1011’s advice was practical and reasonable. I do not interpret it as legal advice, but as common sense.

Advertisement