Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life.....

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

28 and look 22, but despite having an education, good looks and a vibrant personality, I'm getting nowhere. Never had a girlfriend and girls don't like me because I have the charm and charisma of a spoon. I'm probably not as good looking as I think either. Got a degree late and don't feel I have the wherewithal to make it in the type of field my degree would lend itself to. Kinda have struggled with bouts of depression(if you would call it that during my 20's) but reckon it will really come to a head in a year and a half from now when I hit 30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭kerryjack

21Savage wrote: »
    28 and look 22, but despite having an education, good looks and a vibrant personality, I'm getting nowhere. Never had a girlfriend and girls don't like me because I have the charm and charisma of a spoon. I'm probably not as good looking as I think either. Got a degree late and don't feel I have the wherewithal to make it in the type of field my degree would lend itself to. Kinda have struggled with bouts of depression(if you would call it that during my 20's) but reckon it will really come to a head in a year and a half from now when I hit 30.
    Maybe your full of yourself and thats why girls don't like you. 28 and looks 22 who cares, you would want to be setting better goals in life than that , fucck sake will you climb a mountain or jump in a lake, go on trip around the world, take a couple of women to bed even if you have to pay for them, do something, have fun , live a little.

Not sure if you want to share but I'd love to hear details. I really admire people like you who have the balls and drive to change career. When I hear these people it makes me more confident that I can adapt in 10, 20, 30 years time.

Started in Finance directly after University, (credit control) did it until I was 31 and hated most of my time doing it. So it was the expectation of earning money over enjoying my work. Went to become a partner in a consulting firm, and burnt out.

Then came two years as a manager of a hostel in Australia :D Fun, frustrating, and very different to everything previously.

After that I moved to China, became a kindergarten teacher, switched level (primary, secondary, etc) every year, and stayed in China for seven years, ending as a university teacher.

Now I've returned to Ireland for a while, and I've become a games developer, doing mostly my own games and a variety of contract 3D design work. [note: During all of this, I have continued to take side-contracts from previous employers for Credit control accounts. A little extra money on the side]... I will also change my work soonish since I probably will return to Asia as I want to go back to earning some decent money again.

Now..... I wouldn't say I have the "balls" to change career. It just kinda happened that way (looking back). However, it's not difficult to change your career, especially if you plan/prepare for the change. I didn't and it made my life much more difficult than it could have been.

Just ask companies in your target career area what they're looking for. It's amazing the way people forget to ask the simple questions. Makes life much easier to know whats expected of you, adapt to have those skills, and then make the change.
    I'm curious
    Of the people with negative and positive outlooks, how do your social networks compare? That is said to be a main determinant of your quality of life.

Dunno about that. I'm mostly a loner. In Ireland, my social circle, consists of my family, one friend and my dating of foreign women. In China, my circle consists of over 2k people for dinner, drinks, parties, banquets, etc.

21Savage wrote: »
    28 and look 22, but despite having an education, good looks and a vibrant personality, I'm getting nowhere. Never had a girlfriend and girls don't like me because I have the charm and charisma of a spoon. I'm probably not as good looking as I think either.

I didn't have any luck with Irish women either... Until I left Ireland. :D Living abroad gave me the confidence/skills that I never learned in Ireland.

And I'm not terribly handsome, very skinny, 192 cm tall, and have a shaking disorder. My dating life really started to be successful in Australia, and then blossomed in Asia. Maybe you just need a few years away from Ireland to give you time to find yourself. I can still remember the weight falling off my shoulders when I landed in Oz and realised that I was away, and didn't need to go back to Ireland. The sense of freedom was awesome.

And then I met a woman slightly older than me, easily one of the most beautiful women I'd ever met, and I realised that she was flirting with me. She wanted to go out with me. A significant change from my dating experiences in Ireland previously. Ahh... good times.
    Got a degree late and don't feel I have the wherewithal to make it in the type of field my degree would lend itself to. Kinda have struggled with bouts of depression(if you would call it that during my 20's) but reckon it will really come to a head in a year and a half from now when I hit 30.

So change it. You're creating limiting beliefs for yourself. Get out. Find some fun in life. You've already given up on enjoying the rest of your life, so why not take the plunge and change it?

My life before 30 was pretty awful. My life after 30? Fantastic. Why? Because I said **** it to the stereotypical life my family/friends expected of me and tried someting different. And I love my life/age now. Fun fun fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A few months off 30.

I've had plenty of ups and downs in my life and I've struggled a lot with anxiety and depression. I've had lows where I didn't want to live anymore (though I wasn't suicidal) and I've had moments where I couldn't get enough of life and literally couldn't sleep 'cause I was enjoying myself too much.

Life is one hell of an experience. It's enjoyable, it's a challenge but you are in control of what you can do. You need to respond to what happens to you and you need to make the most of it. You have to make it work for you. People are very different. You shouldn't compare yourself to others or do something because you think it's what you're supposed to do, do what makes you happy 'cause that's all that's important in the end. You're the only one that lives in your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive. To breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love. Marcus Aurelius

Advertisement