Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old frame identification

Options
  • 03-12-2017 12:09am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭

a friend of mine has an old bike with a colnago branded frame - it's 71/72 vintage as far as he's aware. are there any online resources for checking out whether it *is* colnago? he's got a notion that it may be a pinarello; but i guess if it's been resprayed, some of the clues may have been lost?

this is the only photo i have to hand of the bike, could ask him to get better ones. as far as i can remember, it's super record on it.

435073.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Cyclechat.net forum will put you on the right track.
    The Vintage Section has guys who are into every brand history

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Any club logos stamped on any lugs,bottom bracket or rear brake bridge?
    Looks like one on the fork crown but says nothing about the frame. Seat stay caps of that vintage tended to be fluted rather than flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I get pains in my legs just looking at what is probably 52/42 on the front and 11/21 or something equally hellish on the back.

Real men back then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, my friend is considering getting something a bit more modern and usable (i.e. a little less over-geared).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Magic.
    From a bit of googling a Genuine early 70s would have the Club Symbol cut out of the bottom bracket.
    Should also be on the fork.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers! will pass that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Also, think I just spotted a mudguard mount on the rear drop out. That's not something Colnago had on frames of the vintage mentioned.

good spot...

Advertisement